New Wii design- no more backwards compatibility.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Seriously? You expect Nintendo to keep supporting games from GC in every future console they make? I don't remember there being N64 compatibility on the GC.

Think about this logically: Removing GC compatibility reduces required components to manufacture Wiis. Therefore the console is produced cheaper. Therefore it can be sold cheaper. Consumers benefit from a cheaper console which has had one feature removed they didn't want because they had no GC games. Or if they did, chances are they already have a GC to play them on. If not, they'll buy a regular Wii. They won't disappear overnight. Everyone is a winner. Stop complaining about something which doesn't even affect you seeing as you have a Wii with GC compatibility.

no i don't expect nintendo to keep bc for certain consoles till the end of time, but what i don't like is when nintendo are intentionally removing a feature when their next console is not even out just to make profit out of "gullible" people for their eshop, that is the problem i am concerned about.

these "cuts" are not for your benefit the end consumer, these "cuts" are for the benefit of nintendo and their stock exchange.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
jalaneme said:
so the wii and wii u will both now not be able to play gamecube games, once the orignal gamecube console is gone, what are people going to play thier gamecube games? "i know lets recharge them again to play the same games they own!" nintendo says.

complete corporal corruption and greed on nintendo's part, they have enough money as it is and they want...more? don't make me loose respect for you nintendo.

so they loose the bc on the wiis so no one can play gamecube games on them, so when people buy a wii u and realise that they can't play gamecube games on it, they think "ah the wii have gc compatibility" they buy one of the new ones and realise that it's gone from the new models, one disappointed customer.

what we will start seeing from nintendo is "gamecube HD" collections or downloads from their eshop for us to download to make as much profit as they can from us *cough sony*, just look at me for christ sake, i have over 70 legit gamecube games, do you see me buying anything from their eshop that i already own? nope. greed greed greed and more greed.

oh and thanks nintendo, my launch wii is going to be worh much much more now, just watch the prices on ebay soar for a launch console, the excat same thing happned with the orignal ps3 60gb when sony removed bc on new ps3 models, just watch the prices.
Seriously? You expect Nintendo to keep supporting games from GC in every future console they make? I don't remember there being N64 compatibility on the GC.

Think about this logically: Removing GC compatibility reduces required components to manufacture Wiis. Therefore the console is produced cheaper. Therefore it can be sold cheaper. Consumers benefit from a cheaper console which has had one feature removed they didn't want because they had no GC games. Or if they did, chances are they already have a GC to play them on. If not, they'll buy a regular Wii. They won't disappear overnight. Everyone is a winner. Stop complaining about something which doesn't even affect you seeing as you have a Wii with GC compatibility.

You are assuming they don't remove GC compatability from existing systems with an update making it so you can either not play newer Wii games, not play GC games, or hack it to keep both new Wii game support and GC support. All Nintendo would have to do is replace the MIOS with a stub.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
SifJar said:
jalaneme said:
so the wii and wii u will both now not be able to play gamecube games, once the orignal gamecube console is gone, what are people going to play thier gamecube games? "i know lets recharge them again to play the same games they own!" nintendo says.

complete corporal corruption and greed on nintendo's part, they have enough money as it is and they want...more? don't make me loose respect for you nintendo.

so they loose the bc on the wiis so no one can play gamecube games on them, so when people buy a wii u and realise that they can't play gamecube games on it, they think "ah the wii have gc compatibility" they buy one of the new ones and realise that it's gone from the new models, one disappointed customer.

what we will start seeing from nintendo is "gamecube HD" collections or downloads from their eshop for us to download to make as much profit as they can from us *cough sony*, just look at me for christ sake, i have over 70 legit gamecube games, do you see me buying anything from their eshop that i already own? nope. greed greed greed and more greed.

oh and thanks nintendo, my launch wii is going to be worh much much more now, just watch the prices on ebay soar for a launch console, the excat same thing happned with the orignal ps3 60gb when sony removed bc on new ps3 models, just watch the prices.

You are assuming they don't remove GC compatability from existing systems with an update making it so you can either not play newer Wii games, not play GC games, or hack it to keep both new Wii game support and GC support. All Nintendo would have to do is replace the MIOS with a stub.
Why would they remove it from existing systems, they may be doing it as it is profitable. It's more hardware than it is software, thus it costs more to put into each unit. Removing them from existing systems would be nonsense.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Sheimi said:
All that I think is, it is to boost the Classic Controller sales.

As there are already adapters that let you use a Classic Controller with Gamecube games I would expect there to be GC to Classic Controller adapters out fairly quickly.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jalaneme said:
no i don't expect nintendo to keep bc for certain consoles till the end of time, but what i don't like is when nintendo are intentionally removing a feature when their next console is not even out just to make profit out of "gullible" people for their eshop, that is the problem i am concerned about.

these "cuts" are not for your benefit the end consumer, these "cuts" are for the benefit of nintendo and their stock exchange.

You seem to be confused.

You're equating Nintendo releasing a different version of their console with Sony releasing a firmware update that removed system features. They aren't the same thing. Sony took something away from customers that had already purchased the product, while Nintendo is taking nothing away from you. In fact, they aren't even thinking about you at all.

Nintendo is releasing a new Wii revision with the GameCube chunk removed to cut costs. As you can see, there is also no stand (as the removal of GameCube ports means the console can be positioned horizontally). This is a positive move for Nintendo -- sales of the Wii are faltering, and this is their last Christmas with the Wii as their flagship home console. The cheaper that they can make the unit, the more likely that it will end up under a few extra Christmas trees, bolstering their bottom line. Considering that Zelda is on the way in November, it's a cheap way to get some people back into a system that they may have sold long ago.

Nintendo isn't cheating anyone. This is it's FIFTH year on the market with no major revision. Considering Nintendo typically revises their systems (NES Top Loader, SNES Jr, DS Lite, etc etc) it's amazing they haven't had to do anything to spark a few extra sales until now. You're forgetting a major point, which is that in 2011, new consumers are not looking to purchase a Wii to play GameCube games -- it's been at least five years since GameCube games have been taking up space on store shelves! They're buying a Wii to play Wii games. Nintendo isn't targeting YOU, or ME, or the other few million people that already purchased a Wii, they're targeting new sales!

Anyone that is actively looking to play GameCube games can get a GameCube for as little as $5. I can't even believe that anyone would complain about a revision removing GameCube support -- Nintendo has now supported it for an additional five years AFTER end of life. I simply don't believe there are people out there going "Oh shit, I've got to pick up a Wii right now so I don't lose that GameCube support". Hah! Considering the sheer number of GameCubes and Wiis out there, it will be easy (and cheap) to get the hardware for many years to come. The price of desirable GameCube games has been stable for a few years now. Nothing will change regarding those prices with this new Wii revision.

Finally, you seem awfully concerned about GameCube games on a potential Wii U virtual console. Me, I wouldn't be too concerned about that considering how poorly Nintendo has treated the Wii Virtual Console. Even if they do release GameCube games, it will actually help drive the price of physical copies DOWN, which has happened with nearly all games re-released to Wii Virtual Console/XBLA/PSN. It will also allow a much lower cost of entry for people that never played those games.

There is no losing here -- you're not losing anything, the potential customers Nintendo is targeting aren't losing anything, and the used market will not experience a gigantic paradigm shift. Take off your tinfoil hat and go enjoy some great Wii games would ya?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't see any problem with no GC because there is no major lose, if you're just buying a wii for gamecube games then you're just better off buying a Gamecube instead. It's nice that wiis have BC, but that's not the only use for the console.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, used Gamecubes are like $20-$30 bucks. If you're really bummed for GC compatibility, then go buy a Gamecube (or an "older" Wii).

I'm just seriously bummed at the lack of Gamecube ports at least.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Honestly, used Gamecubes are like $20-$30 bucks. If you're really bummed for GC compatibility, then go buy a Gamecube (or an "older" Wii).

Yeah, that is a bad thing.

Maybe though could have just taken out the GC BC and Memory Card Slots and just left the GC controller ports for wii games?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:

Again, for the market Nintendo is targeting, this really isn't an issue. The few Wii games that support a GameCube controller also support the Classic Controller.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is one thing that I am curious about:

Theoretically, what would happen if someone softmodded one of these, then installed BC and MIOS, and then tried to load a GC game thru NeoGamma. Would the game launch and cycle through it's opening? I'm not looking for a correct answer, so don't tell me to ask again when the thing comes out.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
lilsypha said:
MIOS is the software -- with all of the hardware removed, I would have to assume that it would not work.

Hmm... but the GC mode reuses de wii hardware...

You got an interesting question Krestent, however, It would be obvious to assume that newer wiis (this last model too) have a physically locked DVD drive, plus resulting in removed the GC memory card slots to prevent running homebrew from there (SDgecko => swiss...)

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
It sits horizontal like any piece of electronic equipment. The Wii was fun and unique how it could sit upright and at an angle.

The Wii doesn’t need this ‘new version’ because the price is already at $150 (and actually $130 at many places like Wal-Mart). A cheaper price at $100 or $50 won’t be helping it.

What this does show is that the marketers behind the Wii need to be fired. I’ve never seen such tone-deafness to what people liked about the Wii. This new version looks like a piece of crap. No one is excited about it. No one likes the idea of a system that takes away features.

Cost or the ‘Gamecube compatibility’ are not reasons stopping the Wii from selling. The actual reasons are games (or lack of them) as well as the marketers.

I haven’t seen this poor decision making since… the Gamecube. Scratch that. Since the 3DS.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
lilsypha said:
You seem to be confused.

You're equating Nintendo releasing a different version of their console with Sony releasing a firmware update that removed system features. They aren't the same thing. Sony took something away from customers that had already purchased the product, while Nintendo is taking nothing away from you. In fact, they aren't even thinking about you at all.

Nintendo is releasing a new Wii revision with the GameCube chunk removed to cut costs. As you can see, there is also no stand (as the removal of GameCube ports means the console can be positioned horizontally). This is a positive move for Nintendo -- sales of the Wii are faltering, and this is their last Christmas with the Wii as their flagship home console. The cheaper that they can make the unit, the more likely that it will end up under a few extra Christmas trees, bolstering their bottom line. Considering that Zelda is on the way in November, it's a cheap way to get some people back into a system that they may have sold long ago.

Nintendo isn't cheating anyone. This is it's FIFTH year on the market with no major revision. Considering Nintendo typically revises their systems (NES Top Loader, SNES Jr, DS Lite, etc etc) it's amazing they haven't had to do anything to spark a few extra sales until now. You're forgetting a major point, which is that in 2011, new consumers are not looking to purchase a Wii to play GameCube games -- it's been at least five years since GameCube games have been taking up space on store shelves! They're buying a Wii to play Wii games. Nintendo isn't targeting YOU, or ME, or the other few million people that already purchased a Wii, they're targeting new sales!

Anyone that is actively looking to play GameCube games can get a GameCube for as little as $5. I can't even believe that anyone would complain about a revision removing GameCube support -- Nintendo has now supported it for an additional five years AFTER end of life. I simply don't believe there are people out there going "Oh shit, I've got to pick up a Wii right now so I don't lose that GameCube support". Hah! Considering the sheer number of GameCubes and Wiis out there, it will be easy (and cheap) to get the hardware for many years to come. The price of desirable GameCube games has been stable for a few years now. Nothing will change regarding those prices with this new Wii revision.

Finally, you seem awfully concerned about GameCube games on a potential Wii U virtual console. Me, I wouldn't be too concerned about that considering how poorly Nintendo has treated the Wii Virtual Console. Even if they do release GameCube games, it will actually help drive the price of physical copies DOWN, which has happened with nearly all games re-released to Wii Virtual Console/XBLA/PSN. It will also allow a much lower cost of entry for people that never played those games.

There is no losing here -- you're not losing anything, the potential customers Nintendo is targeting aren't losing anything, and the used market will not experience a gigantic paradigm shift. Take off your tinfoil hat and go enjoy some great Wii games would ya?

right, i seemed "confused", regardless of who nintendo are removing gc bc from they are still removing it no? also you have the fact that there would still be people who want to buy a wii with bc for collectors purposes or simply want to play gamecube titles with component cables, that won't be available to them anymore, unless they buy a gamecube and search for a component cable for the gamecube and you should know how extremely rare those things are, would you want to play gamecube games with composite cables? no? of course the 1st thing you would want to do is search for a wii that plays gamecube games, oh no what was that? wii bc consoles go for $300 on ebay?! oh that dosn't matter just download from the ehsop the gamecube game you want, what is that? nintendo don't have the games you want? too expensive? ah that is a shame i guess you have no choice but to buy.

ok, so can you explain how the wii overall has sold more than the nes console? also i would have thought nintendo are making a profit on every wii console sold so why would they be loosing money on something that is making them a profit? like i said before, it's a business move to keep their stocks up and productivity down (and to recoop loss from 3ds sales), all major gaming companies do this, sony, microsoft, and of course nintendo, a good example is of the new psp e-100 model.

yes they are targeting people who want to buy the console brand new for the 1st time but you have to think about what they would want and what they would expect from this new revision, as soon as they find out about the gamecube support they would be off to ebay and what i said before in my previous reply will happen, you also have to take into consideration peoples who wiis have broken down (even though that is a very very small minority) they would have to buy one of the new revisions too.

again greed will get the most of ebay sellers, can you remember when the wii balance board was in very small stock and do you remember how greedy ebay sellers got? the same thing happened with the original 60gb ps3 model and the same will also happen to the original launch wiis with bc gc, the sellers see a way to make money (rarity doesn't even come into this, it's about demand) and will exploit this as anyway way possible.

again how exactly are these people who seek a gamecube launch wii going to get them when prices will be inflated? the only place you would get a gamecube for that cheap $5 is instore at crappy gamestop or game in uk and those will go quickly once everyone knows about this new revision.

hehe, zelda twilight princess on the gamecube says hi!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gamecube-Legend-...=item27bd7f9f6e

did the wii relelease drive that price down? nope, the potential customers are loosing something, a right to enjoy gamecube games for themselves like it was supposed to be, used market will always profit much more than new sales, you know why? because the gaming industry is trying so hard to eradicate it right now why do you think that is?
rolleyes.gif

anyway last reply for me or i would be here all day typing on my keyboard.

Dann Woolf

Deadpan Snarker
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As long as they don't abandon the old model for the new one, I can tolerate this.

I'm assuming this new model will be cheaper than the old one, so if both models remain on the market, hardcore gamers can cough up a few more banknotes for the model with backwards compatibility and casual gamers can buy the cheaper model and waggle until their wrists are sore. Win-win, right?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Dann Woolf said:
As long as they don't abandon the old model for the new one, I can tolerate this.

I'm assuming this new model will be cheaper than the old one, so if both models remain on the market, hardcore gamers can cough up a few more banknotes for the model with backwards compatibility and casual gamers can buy the cheaper model and waggle until their wrists are sore. Win-win, right?

nope, all previous revisions will be replaced with this, there will be no other option.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
Dann Woolf said:

nope, all previous revisions will be replaced with this, there will be no other option.
Your source on this is...?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I got this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDHC5MV