• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

New USA President!

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't even see the meme, school wifi blocks nearly all pictures rehosted on gbatemp (direct uploads are fine though)

Regardless, though, it's not exactly fair to the Natives on the reserve, considering the reason they want to avoid routing it through the city in the first place is they're concerned what would happen if the pipe broke and contaminated the river.
So really what our president and the oil companies he's currently representing is saying (without actually saying it) that they're investing in oil as a resource, but it's unsightly and potentially hazardous enough that they don't want it running through the city, so they're gonna slap it into a space that's supposed to be a reserve for a group of people that we've literally been marginalizing and/or murdering since before America was even a country

We will have to see how this impacts all parties involved and what terms are negotiated by the WH. Looks like this will bring some jobs to that area, so at least this is some direct good for the people who voted for him.

BTW, they took our jerbs!
CQRW0kAWIAAvytA.jpg

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We will have to see how this impacts all parties involved and what terms are negotiated by the WH. Looks like this will bring some jobs to that area, so at least this is some direct good for the people who voted for him.

BTW, they took our jerbs!
CQRW0kAWIAAvytA.jpg
Those jobs are incredibly short-term, though. They'd be better off going to fixing infrastructure

On top of that we shouldn't have to see what the impacts will be, these are things that should be thought out long before the process of laying even begins. The fact that there's so much opposition from the people in the affected should be cause for concern in and of itself

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those jobs are incredibly short-term, though. They'd be better off going to fixing infrastructure

On top of that we shouldn't have to see what the impacts will be, these are things that should be thought out long before the process of laying even begins. The fact that there's so much opposition from the people in the affected should be cause for concern in and of itself

They can relocate here: http://www.kgw.com/news/obama-designates-monument-near-bundy-ranch-in-nevada/379940244

Piss off those Bundys!

Also talk about margins, it's not even on their land: https://img.washingtonpost.com/news...s/sites/23/2016/09/2300-NDpipelineMAP-v21.jpg

Last edited by el_gonz87,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by RevPokemon,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course I'm kidding about the Bundys lol.

I see the point, but maybe they will negotiate appropriate measures to be taken or moving the crossing further north.
Moving the crossing north doesn't solve the problem of contamination for everyone (esp. the reservation) south of wherever it would be

And I'd like to remind you that the whole reason it was moved south in the first place was so that Bismark wouldn't be downstream of it

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moving the crossing north doesn't solve the problem of contamination for everyone (esp. the reservation) south of wherever it would be

And I'd like to remind you that the whole reason it was moved south in the first place was so that Bismark wouldn't be downstream of it

You guys act like that's a certainty, this isn't the first access pipeline getting built, not even close to the first. If the government engineers seem to thing it is safe, I buy that. All the protest and just seems like an ultra environmentalist temper tantrum IMO.

Reactions: player594

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys act like that's a certainty, this isn't the first access pipeline getting built, not even close to the first. If the government engineers seem to thing it is safe, I buy that. All the protest and just seems like an ultra environmentalist temper tantrum IMO.
What about eminent domain tho?

Reactions: el_gonz87

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I grasp, an immigrant might kill or do some other bad stuff, but they might also do stuff to benefit society (just like a lawful citizen). :/
Then they should know better than to break the law and actually enter the country the legal way. If they want to prove their good and plan to do good start by showing it by going through the process.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly wouldn't be so fed up with this if a) I wasn't such a clean energy guy (honestly though, solar panels and wind are the future, but that's neither here nor there for this particular argument), but b) the fact that they literally moved the pipeline south because the people of Bismark didn't want it, only to put the new planned location mere miles north of a reservation

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly wouldn't be so fed up with this if a) I wasn't such a clean energy guy (honestly though, solar panels and wind are the future, but that's neither here nor there for this particular argument), but b) the fact that they literally moved the pipeline south because the people of Bismark didn't want it, only to put the new planned location mere miles north of a reservation

Haha fair enough that looks like trolling from the oil company, but there would have been more outrage if they pissed of the Bismark ppl. It's f'ed up, but either way I don't think it would be dangerous.

I hope clean energy continues to advance, we need to break our dependence on oil, but it's pretty expensive right now. I'm actually looking at buying solar panels for my house, but need to make sure I plan on being here for more than 5 years.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• pipeline_incidents.png
    pipeline_incidents.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And here's a map of incidents and leaks and what have you from 2010-2013 (since we're using maps from 2013). From 2010-2015, 7 million gallons of crude oil were spilled, as indicated by incident reports

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/sit...dc110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextfmt=print

http://www.hcn.org/articles/spilling-oil-santa-barbara

It's not like folks are worried about just the potential for leaks. Folks are worried about the continuation and worsening of current leaks and problems.

People gotta keep warm and get to work. Some stuff will happen, as surely as a certain number of people will die on the highways every year. If the pipelines haven't been operated as safely as you like from 2010-2015, better ask Obama and his EPA about that. Maybe they were too busy trying to destroy the coal mining industry to notice.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope clean energy continues to advance, we need to break our dependence on oil, but it's pretty expensive right now. I'm actually looking at buying solar panels for my house, but need to make sure I plan on being here for more than 5 years.
http://time.com/4325882/german-renewable-energy-high/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If the pipelines haven't been operated as safely as you like from 2010-2015, better ask Obama and his EPA about that. Maybe they were too busy trying to destroy the coal mining industry to notice.
Oh you're just ASKING for Trump to be blamed for literally everything that happens over the next 4/8 years, aren't you

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9