OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys,

I just picked up a DSi yesterday, after having had phats and Lites since launch, and had a few questions before getting a flash cart for the i.

1. My DSi came with 1.3J on it. Since the M3i Zero now supports 1.4, should I go ahead and update to 1.4?

2. Are there any downsides to the M3i Zero? All the reviews and posts I've read seem to be mostly positive, but I was wondering if anybody had had any issues with theirs.

3. In light of the whole M3/Moonlight deal, if you were buying your first DSi cart, would you still go M3i, or would you pick a different card like the AK2i?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can provide me.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. If you want to use any of the online features of the DSi, you should upgrade your flashcart accordingly. Be aware that the DSi based flashcarts have the firmware seperated into the 2 parts, the bootstarp and the firmware OS. The bootstrap is only need to be updated when the DSi comes out with a new firmware. The DSi flashcart firmware OS is updated by regular means, putting it on the microSDHC.

You should keep your DS as a fall back option if you need it in any way to upgrade a flashcart. The M3i Zero bypasses that by having an external power source to flash the bootstrap. An AK2i requires the DS to flash if you upgrade the DSi before upgrading the flashcart.

2. The only downsides are the same as many of the other DSi flashcarts, you will have to wait on any game that has anti-piracy/anti-rom code in it. There is also the games that have a larger save size like Zelda, which has a 1MB save file size. These would require an update to the firmware since the save sizes are hard-coded into the firmware instead of letting the user adjust the save space.

3. That is mostly subjective, preference is defined by the user. Users wanting specific features would want something like the M3 in some cases, other people would want something else if thats not what they wanted.

I have both, they are easy to use. No real difference except the interface.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: MoM, I don't have to do homework, anymore :D:blush::D