Surexius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey I'm New to the 3DS and just got one for Christmas. I've just recently read the 3 Ds sticky post as well my version is before 4.5 but I've played Zelda link between world's and it updated my system, does that mean my version has been updated ahead of 4.5 and if Sonia it possible to.reset my daughter to its default? I've a uk version of 3 Ds SO. Thanks in advance

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't get any 3DS flashcard they only work on 4.1-4.5. You can go back to the firmware if you have a hardwired NAND mode and have a NAND backup of 4.5.

Surexius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poo sticks that is not good. Since I have no idea how to back up my NAND or even what that or hardworking.my firmware means, I'm going to assume I haven't backed it up. Unfortunate the lack of a reset button, is there no software available to reset or downgrade your firmware?

The DS was so much easier to work, stick in the card get download the AIOK (or something like) software and go. Is there going to be further cards available for later firmware versions?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Poo sticks that is not good. Since I have no idea how to back up my NAND or even what that or hardworking.my firmware means, I'm going to assume I haven't backed it up. Unfortunate the lack of a reset button, is there no software available to reset or downgrade your firmware?

The DS was so much easier to work, stick in the card get download the AIOK (or something like) software and go. Is there going to be further cards available for later firmware versions?
There might be a flashcart that works on 6.2 eventually, but I wouldn't count on it. And no, there is no way to downgrade your firmware unless you had an old backup and are prepared to mess with the internals of the 3DS.

Surexius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well everything has worked out ok in a weird way the battery on my 3DS was faulty so I've been able to return it and get another. Going by that really good sticky post for newcomers it's version 4.5. I've also read the post on the cards and it looks like the gateway is probably the best at the minute, anyone recommend where I should get one? Also where do you get the software for running it and since I do want to play the new Zelda game without messing up my firmware versioning do I backup my nand? How does backing my NAND prevent the updates from affecting it? Sorry for all the questions I'm used to using the Ds and Acecard so all this is New for me, thanks in advance!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well everything has worked out ok in a weird way the battery on my 3DS was faulty so I've been able to return it and get another. Going by that really good sticky post for newcomers it's version 4.5. I've also read the post on the cards and it looks like the gateway is probably the best at the minute, anyone recommend where I should get one? Also where do you get the software for running it and since I do want to play the new Zelda game without messing up my firmware versioning do I backup my nand? How does backing my NAND prevent the updates from affecting it? Sorry for all the questions I'm used to using the Ds and Acecard so all this is New for me, thanks in advance!
I'd recommend going with realhotstuff.com or wcrepairs.com to buy your Gateway hardware after going with one of the other guys myself. You get Gateway firmware direct from their site. http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads.html

As for where you can get ROMs, I can't link that. I assume you have a source or two already if you're looking to buy a device for playing backups.

Backing up your NAND does not prevent you from updating past 4.5, and will still make the Gateway red card (3DS mode) incompatible with your system. It just allows you to restore your system using your backup. Albeit through a fairly tedious and complex process that I wouldn't recommend for your average user (it requires dis-assembly and soldering AFAIK). If you order using UPS you can have your Gateway and emuNAND up and running in 3-5 days, so I'd recommend being patient and waiting to play Zelda until then.

EDIT: Since you're in Europe, look for one of the resellers closer to you on this site: http://www.gateway-3ds.com/resellers.html

I listed realhotstuff and wcrepairs assuming you were in the US.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you ask where you get the software for running the Gateway, I'm not sure if you're asking about the Gateway's own firmware or the pirated ROMs. For pirated ROMs you'll have to use Google; they're not hard to find at all. Gateway's home page has links to their firmware. Note that there is a big firmware update in the works that should be out any day now, maybe before you order and receive your Gateway.

Gateway can use EmuNAND, which lets the 3DS's actual firmware stay at 4.5 while emulating a copy of a newer version stored on your SD card. You need to use EmuNAND to run physical cartridges that need a newer version than 4.5, so you'll need it for your Zelda cart. EmuNAND is not needed if you just want to run a ROM that needs a newer version than 4.5, and since updating EmuNAND can be confusing and risks updating your real one by accident, you could always just use a Zelda ROM.

Backing up your NAND is a precaution you take before updating your EmuNAND. If you accidentally update your real NAND instead, you can install the backup to go back to 4.5. However this precautiuon is of limited use since you need special hardware for that and you probably don't have such hardware.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's a copy of your console's data (files, folders, settings, etc. which are stored in a NAND chipset).
the copy is on SD card and the console uses it instead of your console's internal data. it's often called Emulated NAND because it used your "fake/copy" NAND instead of your real NAND.

The advantage ?
You can update your EmuNAND on SD card to get latest System menu, eshop access, latest games etc., while keeping your Real NAND at 4.1.0-4.5.0

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi if your in the uk check out teensy.co.uk, they are uk based so you get your card in a couple of days, some foreign site can take weeks for deliver, plus teensy has free uk shipping :D

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi if your in the uk check out teensy.co.uk, they are uk based so you get your card in a couple of days, some foreign site can take weeks for deliver, plus teensy has free uk shipping :D

Also I would recommend just selling the zelda or using it on emunand but if your new to this kind of stuff I wouldn't want to start going into classic mode etc, you can download zelda and run from the red card on emunand, also you may want to just put the 3DS away for a few days until you read up on it so your kid doesn't inadvertently update it again

Oops I was meant to edit not quote lol

Surexius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for all your replies! Can u Zelda on your card or will it try to update your 3ds like the real game?

it's a copy of your console's data (files, folders, settings, etc. which are stored in a NAND chipset).
the copy is on SD card and the console uses it instead of your console's internal data. it's often called Emulated NAND because it used your "fake/copy" NAND instead of your real NAND.

The advantage ?
You can update your EmuNAND on SD card to get latest System menu, eshop access, latest games etc., while keeping your Real NAND at 4.1.0-4.5.0

Is there a guide on how to do this?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There are few guides already written on the forum.

but it's easy:
* backup your SD card to computer (it will format all your card!)
* install DS exploit (to replace the DS profile menu)
* launch gateway menu (by holding L button when loading DS profile menu)
* Select Prepare EmuNAND. (or something like that), it will make a copy of your 3DS's memory to a hidden part of your SD card.
* if not done yet, Select "Dump NAND", it will make another copy of your 3DS's memory to a nand.bin file (keep this file safe on your computer! it can be used to restore/downgrade your console later) You can do this step before preparing EmuNAND if your SD card is only 2GB. (emuNAND takes 1GB, you won't have enough space to store another 1GB of .bin file)
* restore your previously SD backup files to your SD card.

Now that your SD card has a hidden EmuNAND part, when you launch Gateway mode (with or without L pressed) it will ALWAYS use that emuNAND instead of your realNAND.
All you do in gateway mode will happen in your NAND copy located on your SD card instead of your real NAND located on your console.

Attention, if you go to Settings menu and exit, it will reboot the console and exit the gateway mode too! you will be back to your realNAND.

eosia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok now just get a Gateway, install the files on a SD card, put the blue card, install the DS exploit, and then put the Gateway, there is a full guide on gateways website.

Surexius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heya, just got a gateway. So Mr Cyan, I'm assuming when you mean back up your SD card to your computer you just mean click on format your sd card or is this something different? Do I need to format my SD card in my 3ds first? Or do you format it with the gateway software first? Where do I find this DS exploit?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
when I said backup your SD card, I meant copy all the content (file and folders) located on your SD card to your computer, because the next step will format the SD card.
So, if you don't want to lose all your data/photos/videos/save/downloaded game updates/etc., make a backup first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.