New PS4 Model Announced

150622_1.jpg
150622_2.jpg

Sony has just announced a new PS4 model launching first in Japan at the end of this month, and in other territories later on. This is the CUH-1200 series and brings the following differences:

Weight reduced by 10%
Power consumption down by 8%
HDD cover now has same matte finish as the rest of the system

It isn't entirely new, so it is coming with the same 500GB HDD with the suggested retail price of $399/€399. It has not been stated whether the US will actually be getting the standalone glacier white system as an option, as it is currently only available as part of the Destiny bundle in the US.

In related news, starting on July 15th, the 1TB model of the PS4 will be available in select Europe and PAL territories. This will be the standard design and offer no changes except for the higher capacity HDD. According to a Playstation France Facebook post the price will be the same as the 500GB model, heavily implying an incoming 500GB model price drop.

To sum up:
- A new more uniform PS4 model is coming probably to mostly silently replace current models on the market
- The 1TB model finally has a release date for Europe with other regions waiting on an announcement, although it will not have any of the new revisions at launch

:arrow: Official Sony Press Release (New Model)
:arrow: Playstation Blog - Europe (1TB model)

Last edited by Nathan Drake,
Reactions: Keitaro Urashima

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I was hoping for a Slim redesign because the disc slot isn't visible (disc could be damaged slightly if not put properly) and as it seems to use USB sticks they have to be thin. :-/

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While power usage reductions are always welcome, why does anyone care about the size and weight of a home console? Are that many people routinely transporting their systems?

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
While power usage reductions are always welcome, why does anyone care about the size and weight of a home console? Are that many people routinely transporting their systems?

They have to make some cosmetic changes for it to be "new". If it was just the power consumption alone it would not have been newsworthy and thus not worth doing.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While power usage reductions are always welcome

Speak for yourself. I couldn't give less of a [expletive] how much power it uses unless it's blowing fuses or something like that.

why does anyone care about the size and weight of a home console?

I dunno about weight, but size is a major concern in Japan. Their homes are pretty cramped, apparently.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Weight reduced by 10% -- no one cares except the elderly.
Power consumption down by 8% -- if this means less heat then good.
HDD cover now has same matte finish as the rest of the system -- this is the best improvement. Either all gloss or matte is the way to go.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why anyone would buy a first version playstation model. Sony's track record, when it comes to quality control for gaming consoles, is piss poor. My fat model PS3 suffered a YLOD. And a PS2 I bought shortly after launch broke down within a year or two.

Building consoles that are built to last is something Nintendo is MUCH better at.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game