New Flash Kit: Acekard R.P.G. announced! *Update*

pootman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't see anything on the official site to say this is 8GB rather than 8Gb, but between games/homebrew/comics/books/video/music I could easily fill 8GB. At the mo I have a 2GB card in a M3 lite, all games and books, with about 600MB to spare, and a 2GB card in a M3DS, with my wife's games, and homebrew/comics/music/videos - this card's always full, with more waiting for space to be freed up (currently re-watching complete MPFC at work). (I have an 8Gb G6DSR as well that i could easily fill with more video, but I hate carrying an extra cart, so it's waiting for the trading forum.)

If it's really 8GB+microSDHC then sod the cost. I want one.

If it's only 8Gb it'll have to wait till my M3DS dies.

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Right now I think the Cyclo DS is the best card out, but the fact that it's more expensive than the R4 makes the R4 an excellent purchase as well, so in my opinion the desirability of this card will hinge on the price. It certainly looks like it could end up being the best card, but if it's like 100 bucks, it probably wouldn't be worth it over a Cyclo or an R4. Auto trimming and more space than I'd know what to do with sounds cool though.

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't see anything on the official site to say this is 8GB rather than 8Gb, but between games/homebrew/comics/books/video/music I could easily fill 8GB. At the mo I have a 2GB card in a M3 lite, all games and books, with about 600MB to spare, and a 2GB card in a M3DS, with my wife's games, and homebrew/comics/music/videos - this card's always full, with more waiting for space to be freed up (currently re-watching complete MPFC at work). (I have an 8Gb G6DSR as well that i could easily fill with more video, but I hate carrying an extra cart, so it's waiting for the trading forum.)

If it's really 8GB+microSDHC then sod the cost. I want one.

If it's only 8Gb it'll have to wait till my M3DS dies.
It's kind of in the picture. But to be honest, if it doesn't have features I will never buy this.

And I can pratcially say that int he new Cyclo firmware, everything that the Acekard says is exclusive to theres, WILL be on the Cyclo.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds nice. I've been thinking about wasting my money on a slot-1 since it's a bitch patching roms and copying over to the card on my sc lite.
This does sound like the dream card. w/e.

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This sounds PRETTY cool!
Storage is out of this world, but I already have a CycloDS with 4GB and it's nearly 2x too much storage.
frown.gif

noob question >_<

but what's open source??

It means they release the source code (nuts and bolts of the software) to the public to do what they will with (usually with some sort of agreement like no profits allowed).

azn_225

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

wifi1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand how some people say that 8GB is too much space. I hope they release a 4GB model, which should easily be half the cost of the 8GB since prices rise exponentially. But really, it all depends on what you want to use your flash card for. If it's only for games, then yeah, an R4 with 2GB is more than enough. But I know personally, I would like to put music on my flash card and perhaps some movies if I ever feel like it. 2GB isn't enough for me, heck 4GB will soon no longer cut it. To me, a 4GB version with possible expansion through the micro SDHC is totally killer. It really depends on the person, but in either case, I'm surprised that few are impressed at this announcement. Hopefully, there'll be perfect download play announced, which should seal the deal. For now, I'll use my CycloDS Evo with an R4 as backup.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4GB plus MicroSD/SDHC support with R4 features+ might sell me. I'm getting tired of swapping out my MicroSD cards on my R4, which is why I was looking into a CycloDS Evolution...R4 FTW, tho!

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

pootman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What features? The R4 does nothing but play your games. Which ALL flashcarts do.

The r4 DOES have features such as built in action replay, soft reset, brightness adjustment, boot to slot 2, skinning, etc etc.

I'm not a r4 fanboy, but give the cart some credit.
Oh you mean the features that nearly every other flash cart has, right?

none the less, features.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised more people aren't hyped on the open source thing.

That's an amazing thing for Acekard to do. If it's really true it will mean that their card will eventually be the most feature-rich card on the market for sure. Team Cyclops have been good about implementing features that users request, but you can tell that their programmers are only working on this stuff a couple ours a month probably. With a pool of hundreds of developers putting their work into improving this new card's firmware--not because they need the extra money, but because they own the card and want it to havve all the features they can dream of--the RPG will prgress by leaps and bounds and before long it actually will deliver the iPhone-like interface Acekard is advertising--in more ways than one.

The other features like the two types of memory or the built in USB interface are not that great on their own, but they're amazing toys for the developers to play around with when they begin customizing the firmware. My imagination is already running wild with the possibilities.

Unfortunately, I already made my decision and bought a CycloDS Evo. I don't regret that yet, but I might if the dev community around the Acekard really takes off.

I only hope that other card manufacturers--especially Team Cyclops--follow Acekard's lead with the open source firmware just like they've done with the other new features their competitors come to the table with.

...word is bondage...

pootman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If it's open source, it should have features falling out of it's arse, since any dev can modify the code to add whatever features they want.

edit: Like SFD said while I was summarizing =) the devs can do what they want. Imagine integrating all of your favourite homebrews into what could accurately be described as the card's OS, and being able to alt-tab-style switch between them (memory limitations aside).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ahh hell nah, who the flip took my like away?