New Elden Ring mods let you pause the game and unlock frame cap

43-1645996758-137534620.jpg

FromSoftware's highly-anticipated Elden Ring released this week to rave reviews, scoring among the highest games of all time on MetaCritic. However, the game has been criticized on PC due to some performance issues, causing frequent framerate drops. Bandai Namco is planning to release a patch soon, but a new mod may be able to help in the meantime. Called "Elden Ring FPS Unlocker and more," uberhalit's mod on GitHub lets users remove the frame limit, add widescreen support, change the Field of View, and other small alterations. It does all this by patching the game's memory while running, and does not modify any game files. Another mod on NexusMods lets you bypass another polarizing decision in FromSoft games, giving players the option to pause the game.

However, despite the NexusMods page for "Pause the game" saying it is completely safe, that may not be entirely true. Both mods require users to disable the game's anti-cheat, which takes it offline (preventing seeing messages, summoning players, and all other online functionality). However, PC Gamer reports they received an "inappropriate activity detected" notification on their main menu, even when removing all mods before going online, a method that reportedly helped dodge bans in previous Souls games. While no bans have been issued at this point, Bandai Namco seems to be able to track the activity, so use these mods at your own risk.

:arrow: Pause the Game mod
:arrow: FPS Unlocker and more

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Who the hell is pausing in a Souls game lmao. Stand in a safe spot, sit at a grace or hell quit out. Its pretty simple.

You lose a huge layer of the game by playing offline. It's amazing how much life gets breathed into the game via phantoms, messages, bloodstains and summoning signs. Playing offline is just sad.

There's also the simple fact you can do a lot of subverting Souls things with a pause function. The whole point of so many bosses and areas is for you to be quick witted. Pause ruins that. So I guess it's good for the slow kids who need all the help they can get.

Going over 60 fps is eh. From Soft has never been too good with fps, but 60 is more than fine. The difference between 60 and 120+ is pretty minor. It's nice but nowhere near needed. And I say that as someone who almost exclusively plays fast paced, skill based games.

Reactions: Xzi and Kioku

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who the hell is pausing in a Souls game lmao. Stand in a safe spot, sit at a grace or hell quit out. Its pretty simple.

You lose a huge layer of the game by playing offline. It's amazing how much life gets breathed into the game via phantoms, messages, bloodstains and summoning signs. Playing offline is just sad.

There's also the simple fact you can do a lot of subverting Souls things with a pause function. The whole point of so many bosses and areas is for you to be quick witted. Pause ruins that. So I guess it's good for the slow kids who need all the help they can get.

Going over 60 fps is eh. From Soft has never been too good with fps, but 60 is more than fine. The difference between 60 and 120+ is pretty minor. It's nice but nowhere near needed. And I say that as someone who almost exclusively plays fast paced, skill based games.
120 FPS is more akin to a "less blurry" 60 honestly, and I'd be okay if the consoles could, you know, the ones with RDNA2 from AMD and 12 TFLOPS actually keep at a steady 60 fps 1440p? What the hell kind of excuse do they have for that? A game in 2022 should not dip into the low 40s, let's be real.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll give it another shot, as I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I just hope my rig isn't "too weak" or whatever :P

CPU - Core i7 9700K
GPU - MSI RTX 3060 TI
RAM - 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM 3200
You'd be just fine. I've not had any real stutters in combat on a Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1080Ti. No harm in waiting a bit for a perfectly smooth experience though, especially if this is your first Soulsborne game.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd be just fine. I've not had any real stutters in combat on a Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1080Ti. No harm in waiting a bit for a perfectly smooth experience though, especially if this is your first Soulsborne game.

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to admit that because I had zero interest in the genre until this one, many tout it to be the most "accessible" to newcomers, while still having a learning curve. Totally fine with that honestly, I just gotta be patient and watch start guides on YT.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm embarrassed to admit that because I had zero interest in the genre until this one, many tout it to be the most "accessible" to newcomers, while still having a learning curve. Totally fine with that honestly, I just gotta be patient and watch start guides on YT.
No reason to feel guilty about it, even I watched this particular video because it details some stuff that wasn't in any of the previous Soulsborne games:

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No reason to feel guilty about it, even I watched this particular video because it details some stuff that wasn't in any of the previous Soulsborne games:

I also admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by what to do from the start, I know there are those guiding lights and the sites of grace, hopefully I can follow the game while exploring well :P

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I also admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by what to do from the start, I know there are those guiding lights and the sites of grace, hopefully I can follow the game while exploring well :P
Honestly you can't go wrong at the beginning, just head toward anything that catches your eye. As long as you stay within Limgrave early on, there shouldn't be any enemies that give you TOO much trouble, except maybe the open world bosses. Just avoid them until you've done everything else in the region.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly you can't go wrong at the beginning, just head toward anything that catches your eye. As long as you stay within Limgrave early on, there shouldn't be any enemies that give you TOO much trouble, except maybe the open world bosses. Just avoid them until you've done everything else in the region.

One step at a time, eh? Sounds good :P

Reactions: Xzi

SeventhSon7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The entire game world is covered in shit post messages, and the bloodstains don't work.

I went offline and never looked back.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Meanwhile

Director of EA games : pause could be a great dlc, writte it for a new game of Starwars, it will be contain on a loteboxe

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of shitty game doesn't allow you to pause? That's been an industry standard for decades now, and it's not like Soulsbornering whatever is a multiplayer game series - it's a singleplayer game series with multiplayer elements added for flavour. From Software should have added pausing by default!
this would mess up invasions. Souls games may feel offline but really you are always online (unless you disable internet connection) It's not really that big of a deal. If you really need to pause you can can just exit to title screen. It saves your progress where ever you are at (no need to be a bonfire or whatever), so there is really no need for a pause button. Exiting to title screen takes maybe 5-10 seconds. Its not as instant as pause but its not really that bad.

Godofcheese

Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
They can still ban you, the risk is still there. Is it really worth disabling EAC to fix the game? You shouldn't have to disable it to get 120 FPS, it's BS. Namco Bandai can still ban you.

How do we know this mod is safe? I doubt there is enough empirical evidence to prove it is:

https://github.com/uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore

Yes, you will get EAC banned, and when it's a steam game, your account will get flagged with an EAC ban
Which is separate from a VAC ban

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adding a pause is cheating, my mind cannot be changed on that. OTOH, unlocking FPS and ultra-widescreen should be allowed without needing to turn off the anti-cheat.

FromSoft literally told us Elden Ring is their most accessible game yet, so this has nothing to do with it. Hell, playing offline and losing out on summoning other players in exchange for a pause is almost sure to make things harder on noobs.

That's just it the, the irony that the "Gods of gaming" (or so they like to think of themselves) require more help than noobs, lol

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dark souls fans when you criticize one aspect of their games(you fucking pleb!!!)

That's exactly it. The game isn't even difficult either, it's just flawed, I'm not sure if intentionally or due ro an inability to code as well as other devs.

How on Earth does pausing make a game easier lol, some of these desperate attempts to boost epeen is hilarious haha.

In the middle of an epic fight, door bell rings, tough s##t.

Granted pausing wouldn't work with the "online" component, but neither does quick resume, I know which option (or even options) I'd much prefer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Oh God no :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pineapple is the safe word?
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog: