New Android Device - The W3D - Preorder on Amazon!

71pLeoAS-EL._SL1500_.jpg

Definitely thought this device deserves a bit more of a spotlight. I had the chance to play it at this year's E3 last week, and the console is actually available now for pre-order on Amazon.com. It's a smartphone colliding with the Nintendo 3DS at this point, and it has the following specifications:
  • 8 core CPU
  • 2 GB RAM built in
  • Starting with 16 GB internal storage and support for up to 64GB MSD
  • 5.5" 1080p HD display with 3D stereoscopic screen capable of "Eye-tracking", similar to the New 3DS
  • Dual joystick controls, including shoulder buttons
The device also has the following features:
  • Open Source: Download and play games from any Google-based distribution platform
  • Dual Sim, unlocked GSM and CDMA for 4G LTE support
  • Long-Lasting Battery Life: Five to seven hours of battery life for playing with 10 to 16 hours of battery life on standby via a 4000mAH battery
  • Fully Compatible with Touch Screen Android Games: W3D's unique button interface allows any previous Android touch screen game to be customized by the end user.
  • Launches with Android 4.4
I personally loved it, when I got my hands on it. I didn't receive a price on that day at the convention, but I do have one now - it's $399 on Amazon. I think that this has a decent chance of kicking off, and this company was incredibly confident in their presentation. Looking forward to seeing what else comes out of it!

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Amazon Pre-order

Attachments

• 71pLeoAS-EL._SL1500_.jpg
    71pLeoAS-EL._SL1500_.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 483
Last edited by Tom Bombadildo, , Reason: added important missing features from OP

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any info on what 8 core chip it's using, screen type, cellular capabilities, etc.? Seems to be a large lack of info.
Reason I'm asking is that the only 8 core mobile ARM chips I can think of are MediaTek ones, and that isn't something that's usually very good.
EDIT: Heck, where's the Android version?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What do you mean, no shoulder buttons? It does have them. And by the looks of it, I think they're actually pressable (something I couldn't really say for my xperia play).
EDIT: this is @cracker and AshuraZro.

But I've got to say I doubt this'll make a splash. Going by a hands-on video, that thing is huuuuuuge in length. It also doesn't look very comfortable to actually use as a phone.

And as I figured from the technical standpoint, the price is pretty steep. But hardly any of the android games use that sort of horsepower, and in the field of emulation, you can get a PSP for at most half the price.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly didn't see this getting pass a small success. I wonder if you can convert existing games and content into 3D. It really should have been a slide out design.

Last edited by KingVamp,

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Still nothing can beat the Shield Tablet in terms of Android gaming. There are AAA games exclusivly for Shield devices like Doom 3, Half Life, Portal and more to come in the Shield Hub. Also the Shield Tablet gets Android firmware updates very fast. No competition, really.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heck, where's the Android version?

It is built off 4.4.

What do you mean, no shoulder buttons? It does have them. And by the looks of it, I think they're actually pressable (something I couldn't really say for my xperia play).
EDIT: this is @cracker and AshuraZro.

I stand corrected. I was going by the lone picture and lack of mention on the source page.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
400 bucks is way too expensive. I also don't like the positioning of the D-pad and left analog... but that's probably because I think of 2D gaming whenever I see a Android gaming device, best games on Android is NES, GBA, MD, Neo Geo and SNES. :) Of course this can pull off N64, PSP and maybe even Dreamcast..? As far as non emulation I have no clue what's out there for Android.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
400 bucks is way too expensive. I also don't like the positioning of the D-pad and left analog... but that's probably because I think of 2D gaming whenever I see a Android gaming device, best games on Android is NES, GBA, MD, Neo Geo and SNES. :) Of course this can pull off N64, PSP and maybe even Dreamcast..? As far as non emulation I have no clue what's out there for Android.

All of those plus DS, Saturn (sort of), Atari, Coleco, etc and even DOS/Win9x.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
All of those plus DS, Saturn (sort of), Atari, Coleco, etc and even DOS/Win9x.

Right, PS1, MSX... But you can do all that on pretty much any newer phone.

There have been many of these dedicated Android handhelds, why don't they copy the style of the Xperia Play giving it a retractable gamepad? Having controllers visible at all times disqualifies it as a phone; I'd actually be interested in buying this thing if it had that kind of design and could also be my phone (and if battery life at least got me through the day). Because you can add controllers to any phone you like, but if you really gonna play on the go it's a million times more convenient if the controller is always with you and you don't have to attach and detach it.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone needs to make something like this with a bay trail proc running Windows. Would be beast. I love my HP stream 7, emulator powerhouse, runs everything up to and including ps1, n64 buttery smooth, not like Android and its half assed emulators.

It also runs old PC games super duper smooth so anything that was multiplat on the PC during the GC/PS2/Xbox era runs great (with a minor fuss from Windows 8). Would be awesome if it had built in controls and a bigger battery. Why hasn't any company made this yet? Considering I paid ~100 for the tablet I'm sure someone could manufacture something like that in the sub-200 range.

Oh and for anyone considering the JXD's, I wouldn't touch em. I had the S7100 and build quality was garbage, along with having terrible input lag.

Seconded, but I have yet to find a decent OTG hub that charges the thing and allows for hooking up a controller. The only one I know for certain that works is actually more than I paid for the tablet.

Reactions: Dr Eggman

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, he did compare it to the 3ds and it has 3d in the name, so...
That's not something to sum up...
Just that it's "3D" on it doesn't mean it is 3D screen.

To be honest, I thought he mentioned 3DS because of the sliderpad, not the 3D screen ;)

But if having "3D" on a device name helps you, then maybe you should buy this:

$%28KGrHqF,!nkFEwc2M%29m7BRMj%29OV4JQ~~60_1.JPG

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you add more info to the OP for other people?

That's not something to sum up...
Just that it's "3D" on it doesn't mean it is 3D screen.

To be honest, I thought he mentioned 3DS because of the sliderpad, not the 3D screen ;)

But if having "3D" on a device name helps you, then maybe you should buy this:
Funny, but what else would "3D" mean most likely for a modern day mobile. I mean, when you first read the title, what came to mind?

Btw, just because that knockoff company got it wrong, doesn't mean that wasn't what they was going for.

No triggers?
It seems to have 4 shoulder buttons.

Last edited by KingVamp,

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Funny, but what else would "3D" mean most likely for a modern day mobile. I mean, when you first read the title, what came to mind?

Btw, just because that knockoff company got it wrong, doesn't mean that wasn't what they was going for.

I didn't even noticed that the W3D on the model name actually stood for "3D".
Model numbers are mostly just letters numbers.

Then again: if you go to the official website, they do tell you about the stereoscopic 3D feature, WITH EYE TRACKING! :)
also not mentioned in the first post ;)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, PS1, MSX... But you can do all that on pretty much any newer phone.

There have been many of these dedicated Android handhelds, why don't they copy the style of the Xperia Play giving it a retractable gamepad? Having controllers visible at all times disqualifies it as a phone; I'd actually be interested in buying this thing if it had that kind of design and could also be my phone (and if battery life at least got me through the day). Because you can add controllers to any phone you like, but if you really gonna play on the go it's a million times more convenient if the controller is always with you and you don't have to attach and detach it.

All day battery life on a phone you are gaming on... :lol:

Seconded, but I have yet to find a decent OTG hub that charges the thing and allows for hooking up a controller. The only one I know for certain that works is actually more than I paid for the tablet.

Did you get the tablet for free because I picked up a powered MHL/OTG micro/SD reader, HDMI out, USB A for only a few dollars?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: tabuu (smash bros brawl final boss) > ghaleem and dharkon (smash bros ultimate final...