New: 1117 - Tales of Phantasia (J)

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
This game was great. I didn't get to finish the snes version and never got that cahnce to play the psx version so this will come as a treat.

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eh? what you mean thug?
huh.gif

square

The Professor
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
12/31 is a bad date to release in the US, seeing that it is after the holiday season. It would not surprise me if they uped the release just before Xmas

Flea

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wouldn´t surprise me, if they use the dejap translation for their port...
I´m looking forward to it...and now....back to KOTOR!!

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
*Cough* TRANSFER THE SNES TRANS PATCH IT'S 100% *Cough*
I bet the text is pretty much 100% (there's GOTTA be new dialogue for the new character, since Suzu's lines weren't originally written for a PC, and the PSX version had quite a few other things (extra cutscenes, for instance, and several new techniques -- the most notable being Assassin from Tales of Destiny, although you had to use a cutscene to get that). However, the patch adjusted more than just text -- spacing on text boxes, for instance, and I also doubt that the addresses are ANYTHING like each other.

Still, I love this game on the super famicom (and am one of the few people who's played through it enough to tell you how to get absolutely EVERYTHING from memory, including all of Graham's treasure hunt locations). I hold that this is the BEST RPG for the SNES-era ever, even over Chrono Trigger (though it was a tough choice for this one), Seiken Densetsu III, and FFVI. I'll wait for the English release before I download this, though, since I've played the PSX version and I'd like to experience that in English.

-Tempest out.-

THE FROZEN

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
ok, i played it for an hour or so, i think it's pretty good, but, there are some annoying flaws
the graphics and the music are annoying, pretty low quality, but, i am sure there's nothing namco could do, the game can barely enter the cart(hey, it got some voice acting, and a song!)
and i feel less comfotable in the battles, they are slower, and i don't really know if it's possible to change your party's side position like you could in the SNES or the PS1(there, you could do it in a single button click) and if it's not possible, so it's VERY annoying(but if it's possible and i don't know about it, please tell me how)

and like in the PS1 version, chester now got bow skills(the only one i saw is a fire arrow or something)
anyway, i like the SNES version more than this one, but, a GBA is a GBA, this is the best TOP we could get,and it's still very good
let's hope the US version would sell many copies, so namco of america would decide to bring us more Tales games

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
If now gba can obtain port of psx games, if i add port of snes games, we will have more than 7000 roms for this handheld.
the only reason some psx games can get ported for the gba is when they dont use full psx power, games like tactics ogre,ToP,final fantasy tactics could be done on a snes but if they try to port say syphon filter then gba's frame rate of this game will be running at a snail pace. but i think the gba game do many of the psx early games (like crusader no remorse,bedlam,gta etc. just to name a few) its best to do psx earlyer games since they had no fmv in game & only as intro's

(i think we all got to call the psx, the ps1 from now on since the psx is the remade ps2 with added features
tongue.gif
)

on the other hand this is a great game, & would like to see namco release there tales series worldwide *crosses fingers for a tales of destiny 2 port/remix*

phuzzz

Hooha!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
12/31 is a bad date to release in the US, seeing that it is after the holiday season. It would not surprise me if they uped the release just before Xmas
Uh, yeah. And maybe flying monkeys will shoot out of my ass.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry if that sounded rude, but that's probably an acurate assesment of Nintendo uping ANY release, much less this one.

stivsama

GBA-Tenchan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*whew!* for a minute there, i thought i missed Tales of Phantasia PSX.. then i checked and saw that only a Japanese version was released.. you WERE talking about the Jap rehash, right?

I wouldn't bother with the psx version if it's not an English version, even though it has a new character *sigh*, new items *sniff* and FMV's?? *SOB!!*

looking forward to the english release too..

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
*whew!* for a minute there, i thought i missed Tales of Phantasia PSX.. then i checked and saw that only a Japanese version was released.. you WERE talking about the Jap rehash, right?

I wouldn't bother with the psx version if it's not an English version, even though it has a new character *sigh*, new items *sniff* and FMV's?? *SOB!!*

looking forward to the english release too..
You forgot extra music... look up Yukari Yoshida and you'll see a few of them (my favorite is Hoshi Wo Sora Ni, which roughly means "The Star in the Sky". Played during a Cless-Mint cutscene, I believe it was in Ary), and new techniques (Cless has a memory flashback if you rest in Miguel, and from that you get to see him learn Assassin, from Tales of Destiny, for instance). Still, considering how advanced the SNES version was, the PSX version isn't worth picking up unless the cosmetic changes are reason alone.

(I use the DeJap names, mostly because "Cless" sounds a lot better than the "Cress" used in later games, and it's still a valid romanization. When I first saw the game before the DeJap patch came out, I had it translated as "Chris" (ku-ri-su)... but Cless just sounds better)

-Tempest out.-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: gimme