Netflix reportedly plans to offer video games on its streaming platform "within the next year"

netflix.JPG

As major gaming companies make the move towards cloud gaming, it seems like Netflix will soon follow suit; or at least offer games in some way. According to a recent Bloomberg report citing "a person familiar with the situation", the streaming giant plans to offer video games within the next year. "The games will appear alongside current fare as a new programming genre -- similar to what Netflix did with documentaries or stand-up specials," reads the report. "The company doesn’t currently plan to charge extra for the content."

To forge ahead its video game industry ambitions, the report mentions how Netflix announced on Wednesday that Mike Verdu will join as vice president of game development. Verdu previously worked with Electronic Arts on mobile titles like Sims, Plants vs. Zombies and Star Wars. He also worked as chief creative officer for Zynga as well as served as Facebook’s vice president responsible to work with developers on bringing games and content to its Oculus VR headsets.

It is not clear whether Netflix will offer cloud-based gaming like Google Stadia or offer them to download for a monthly subscription fee on compatible systems. But given Netflix's availability across platforms, it's likely to follow a Stadia model and be the actual Netflix of games. In any case, these news have to be taken with a pinch of salt as Bloomberg's source asked not to be identified "because the deliberations are private".

:arrow: SOURCE

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not a terrible idea since they likely have a lot of crossover with casual audiences who game very occasionally
Kinda doubt anyone would flock to them because of it, but incentivizing not leaving the platform is a pretty real thing these days. Especially given Netflix ups its goddamn monthly cost 6 times a year

Arko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I was wondering where my trans and lbtsdhgfsadhgfv+ premium and blacksRaWeSome propaganda was. Turns out as someone who doesn't watch TV or follow social cesspits Netflix runs to my rescue/indoctrination.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unless it allows me to play Battleye and EAC games on Linux AND comes with the standard subscription I'm not interested.
They should partner with Sony, as Playstation's exclusives would do amazing there.

All that over the shoulder, story telling with tons of cut-scenes would translate well.
(also Netflix love zombie stories a lot, just like Sony)
Netflix also likes bad writing too evidently, just like Sony with a certain sequel to a popular post apocalyptic third person shooter adventure game.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Netflix has been removing lots of good shows, for this? It better be good. We can get any show on *certain websites for free*... [wtf are you doing Obama :blink:]

Not to mention.. How many fire stick/TV owners have the game controllers? I doubt games will be fun with the fire stick controller.

Last edited by TheCasualties,

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

As major gaming companies make the move towards cloud gaming, it seems like Netflix will soon follow suit; or at least offer games in some way. According to a recent Bloomberg report citing "a person familiar with the situation", the streaming giant plans to offer video games within the next year. "The games will appear alongside current fare as a new programming genre -- similar to what Netflix did with documentaries or stand-up specials," reads the report. "The company doesn’t currently plan to charge extra for the content."

To forge ahead its video game industry ambitions, the report mentions how Netflix announced on Wednesday that Mike Verdu will join as vice president of game development. Verdu previously worked with Electronic Arts on mobile titles like Sims, Plants vs. Zombies and Star Wars. He also worked as chief creative officer for Zynga as well as served as Facebook’s vice president responsible to work with developers on bringing games and content to its Oculus VR headsets.

It is not clear whether Netflix will offer cloud-based gaming like Google Stadia or offer them to download for a monthly subscription fee on compatible systems. But given Netflix's availability across platforms, it's likely to follow a Stadia model and be the actual Netflix of games. In any case, these news have to be taken with a pinch of salt as Bloomberg's source asked not to be identified "because the deliberations are private".

:arrow: SOURCE

i was gonna comment but like the comments...lol.
um screw netflix bunch of pedophiles, so no thanks will burn that down if i had the chance to do so

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I predict, in the next 5 years gaming platforms will overtake TV and Movie platforms as the main form of entertainment and all major networks will offer some form of gaming, Netflix, Hulu, MS, Apple, CBS, NBC, FUC, CIA, ABC etc..

Nintendo better open up to friendly competition on their platform (streaming of pc games etc) otherwise go the way of the Dinosaur. Mario & Pals (marketing methods) are gettin' a bit long in the tooth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work