Hardware Netbook Overheating

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So i've got this little notebook, i call it lindsey, cause she occasionally flies of the handle and gets herself in trouble, anyways lindsey has a tendency to overheat and completly power off, sometime it can be while I watch a movie and browse the net at the same time, sometimes its when im playing COD4 MW on her. now she has a dual monitor setup and she doesnt usually die on me when im just using the laptop screen but plug her in and she has some troubles.
Theres a tiny little vent that well is pretty poo and she gets very warm underneath if I use her intensively.
My question is how can I sort her out so she can breathe abit better, she doesnt crash if i play bioshock or any single player games just the online ones.

Anyways shes a acer aspire one 522, 1ghz dual core, with 2gb ram

D

Deleted-188346

I had the exact same problem with my laptop in the past.
Unfortunately, the solution was a dying exhaust fan. You'll either need to replace it yourself, or get it serviced.

Opening it up and cleaning out dust may help, too.

To be sure that it's the heat that's crashing the computer, you should run some heat monitoring software. I like to use CoreTemp (which is specifically for CPU's), but feel free to browse the various free programs online.

Akise

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I heard that notebook cooling system should be cleaned at least once a year. Especially if notebook is used intensively.
When notebook overheats it can cause serve damage to its components. And for some reason notebooks vents/fans seem to attract all the dust from all over the world :<

So it is good idea to prevent your "Lindsey" from overheating by regular cleaning and/or using cooling pads. Also - pay attention to notebook vents, try to not cover them by any other stuff.
You can clean it by yourself (it may be quite complicated thou), but I think that best option is to leave it at good computer service (where they have an air compressor and can clean your notebook [and notebooks cooling system] nicely). You can also ask them to change thermal paste.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about stripping her, im a computer engineer so quite confident anyway, had to strip the damn thing to upgrade the ram anyways.

My friends got an air compressor and im off to see him tomorrow so might get it checked out, the thing thats worrying me the most is that this laptop is only coming upto 6 months old

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you can, replace her thermal paste with some AS5 while you're cleaning her up. If that hasn't been done since manufacturing, it'll make a noticable difference. I know Marvin (my MacBook Air) should run 20 degrees cooler with AS5, based off of other people who tried it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guess it's just a click then +2