neek2o

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by obcd, Nov 11, 2011.

Nov 11, 2011

neek2o by obcd at 8:05 PM (126,894 Views / 3 Likes) 1,357 Comments

luck_gh0st New Member

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    I would like to know more on this as well.

I had this copy/pasted in an old txt document on this computer but I can't remember where I got it at...

Typical NAND contents and what they include, based on what I've found:

* import: not sure. All my dumps had nothing in this folder.
    * meta: metadata. Contains hardware descriptions and names of system components.
    * shared1: seems to contain various system drivers and libraries.
    * shared2: seems to contain setup data and logfiles, as well as data for some Wii stuff such as WC24 and Miis.
    * sys: seems to contain some short-term system info. For example, the last disc loaded is recorded in here.
    * ticket: contains records of what channels and DLC are installed.
    * title: what we care about most. Contains the System Menu, IOSes, channels, and data.

Within title and tickets, the following folders are common:
    * 00000001: system stuff. Contains System Menu, IOSes, MIOS, and other stuff.
    * 00010000: save data. You can figure out what is what by entering any of the subfolders, then the data folder, and then opening the banner.bin in a hex editor to see the save title.
    * 00010001: Nintendo channels, Wiiware and Virtual Console. As with save data, examining the banner.bin lets you see what's what.
    * 00010002: more Nintendo Channels, such as Weather and Photo.
    * 00010004: special WC24 channels, such as the Mario Kart channel.
    * 00010005: game DLC. If you mess around with Rock Band DLC and stuff, this is where it ends up.
    * 00010008: magic/technical stuff - stub and hidden channels such as DVDx are typically kept here, as well as Nintendo's EULA and Region Select.

Results may vary from Wii to Wii, and your Wii may have stuff that's not listed. Take a gander through your FS dumps (helps if you've got a hex editor to view raw .apps and .bins) and see what you find. If you're smart, you can even clean up your NAND dump without using ShowMiiWads.

Also I have this...
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

• Newcomer

frown New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm unable to install any WAD files from within uneek2o+di. Same results from r88 and r92.
    Channel installers (ie: vbagx, snes9xgx, etc.) and WAD managers (Yamm, MMM, WADgui) all come back with error -106 when trying to install content.

Am I overlooking something, or is this some sort of bug in neek2o?
    I don't remember having this problem with uneek, although it's been a while since I've messed around with it, so I'm not sure.
    Help would be appreciated. Using ShowMiiWads to add content in the mean time.

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Message Count:
    Costa Rica
    Me, too. What's the deal?
    • Newcomer

frown New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    To make sure it wasn't just my nand, I built a new one using ModMii; still ran into the same error.

Looks like it's been going on for a while.

Taleweaver Storywriter

Message Count:
    Belgium
    I've got to admit I never really tried to install a wad from within neek2o to begin with. The reason is because I never even expected it to work: cIOS somewhat interfere with the way xneek (and thus neek2o as well) does its thing. Waninkoko's rev14 is one of the few exceptions that I know of.

But even then: the only homebrew program I use for it (savegame manager) isn't the most stable either. For everything else, I usually hope it uses IOS58/AHBPROT. Wad installers obviously rely on a cIOS to do the trick.

Anyhow...to install wads, I use showmiiwads (a PC app). Select 'showmiinand' and point it to your neek2o nand. Then simply drag & drop all the wads you want to install into the main window and choose 'Install'. That'll do the trick. :-)
    • Newcomer

frown New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm just wondering why I can't even get this wad manager to install anything,
    despite it saying "neek2o compatible" and being in neek2o's project download list.
    Well, that's what I've been doing and it works just fine,
    but it isn't exactly fun juggling my 1.5TB hard drive between my Wii and PC whenever I want to install a wad file. D;

Taleweaver Storywriter

Message Count:
    Belgium
    That's obviously not right, then (sorry: hadn't seen that loader mentioned). It shoud work but doesn't. :unsure:

*goes and tries*

Hmm...I can confirm the error on my end as well. I wish I could say more, but I'm not the author of the program. :(

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Message Count:
    Costa Rica
    I know MMM and WiiMod install WAD's with IOS58/AHBPROT so maybe I'll try those. ShowMiiWads I don't like simply because I have to move my HDD and/or SD card to the computer to use them and I'd prefer just to leave them there. I've recently discovered the WAD installer in USB Loader GX (to emuNAND from real NAND through a cIOS) and have been using that.

LinkFan16 I link them all

Message Count:
    Germany
    After reading that r92 of neek2o is working quiet well, I sat down and compiled it myself. however I've not been able getting it to run although older revs always worked fine. I was out of the game for a while, so it could be I missed something. But after checking everything for errors all seemed fine, all files were present and stored in the right place. I'm trying to use uneek and when starting it from the neek2o channel, it seems like it's initializing the usb drive and after that nothing happens. normally the LED light of the usb drive shows some activity and then the system menu boots. I have yet to try to put everything together with the sneek installer, since I tried it with IOSKpatch and elfins first. also I would like to know if it is ok to compile with the latest version of devkitpro or if I have to use an older build of devkitpro or one of it's components in order to successfully build a working neek2o setup with r92. since the emu nand is working fine in older revs, this can't be the problem. would be glad if someone could answer my questions, thanks in advance.
    • Newcomer

kkill New Member

Message Count:
    China

shortz1994 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    this is for the wad stuff.
    i use yawmm. an i know that it will load wads to a nand.(if you only have 1. if you have multi nands it will not, cause it doesn't know WHAT nand to load the wad to.).
    make sure the wad folder is on your usb hdd, an not on the sd card. also when in the main menu.(choosing were/what to load/read the wad from is pointing in the right direction/nand file..ect)
    i know this works cause when i first start using neek2o.(before postloader an hot swapping.). i was testing to see if i could use crapp channels.(seeing that it is able to read wbfs files.).
    i thought they would work. but they did load to nand.. but now that i have 4 different nands it gives me the same errors.(106).

d.d.d. New Member

Message Count:
    Japan
    Hi, I read the first post and I'd like to ask some noob questions on *NEEK. (I didn't see another guide other than the first post...)

Well, my Wii is set up as I like, no problems except Wiiware space (and I don't like the copy from SD to NAND every time I want to play - it takes a bit of time and I'm worried about wearing out the NAND).
    So my goal is to have one setup, to run WiiWare from the HDD, be able to run emulators, and use homebrew (like USBLGX etc). And maybe permanently run from the emulated NAND instead... I'm not sure though.
    Is UNEEK+DI the right one for what I'm trying to do? Or is it even possible??

I was planning on using the ModMii program to build/set up *NEEK.
    1. Do I need or should I make a NAND back-up to put into the setup?
    2. Is PostLoader good to have? (Or any other options like Priiloader? I use Priiloader on my real NAND for region free stuff etc.)
    3. I have extracted my WW games and they are about 1.5GB; as long as I have space on the HDD, should it be okay? I sure the number of titles exceeds the number of slots on the original Wii menu though (not on the SD card though)... how will that work out??
    4. What has to stay on the SD card? I really want to keep it on a 2GB card so I can play ExciteTruck with MP3 support.
    5. Lastly, is *NEEK just something that boots or is it a program you launch into? (I think the Wii will boot into it as it is supposed to replace your NAND, right?)

Thanks for the help and sorry if I missed a guide somewhere. :)

Taleweaver Storywriter

Message Count:
    Belgium
    Phew...it's been a while since I did something with neek2o (a google came up with my own answer on how to update DM to 2.3 yesterday). I'll try to give some answers...

-UNEEK+DI can certainly work for everything you want. If I didn't do some occasional testing, it would have been well over a year to have used the real nand for anything. The only real downsize is that it takes slightly longer for your wii to boot (take...10 to 20 seconds).

1. it's not needed (modmii can generate you a blank nand if you want to), but it's convenient. That way, you won't lose savegames, miis or channels.
    2. I'd like to think so, yes. The other loaders should more or less work as well, but I can't give first hand guarantees on that. Recent versions of neek2o already have those region free options. Auto-booting into something not the system menu was on the 'to do'-list, but I'm not sure if that got around to being implemented. Rev 92 has support for it, so if you can find it, installing priiloader should be possible (it was a bit of a mess in the early 90's revisions).
    3. shouldn't be a problem. My own main nand is about 3 or 4 GB and it loads fine (mostly custom songs for RB2/3). Obviously, you'll need a loader (like postloader) to access more than the normal channel limit.
    Perhaps important: the startup loading time of your wii tends to depends on the amount of installed channels. If you're directly booting into postloader, you may want to shorten that time by using UIDmanager (google it). That way, the channels won't be displayed on the 'real' system menu but they will still be there (the loaders will still be able to find them).
    4. hmm...this may be an issue. The thing is that with your nand being on the USB drive, xNEEK tends to see the whole drive as a large nand. Homebrew that runs on IOS58 can still be used...but they won't find the hard drive (unless they have some specific changes in their code, but AFAIK, only postloader actually uses this). So when using neek2o, you pretty much have to put all your homebrew on your SD card.
    5. I can't really answer this question. It sorta depends how you look at it. I could do a whole explanation on vulnerable boot2's and booting as IOS, but at the end of the day, what matters for you as a user is that you can choose to automatically start it when you boot up your wii, or that you start on your real nand and start xNEEK when you want it to.
    (note: while true, this is a bit shortsighted. But that only becomes important when you start doing things rather than getting informed).

Shag New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yes Postloader developed by Stfour is a very handy app for neek2o, There is a lot of functionality including "hot swaping" nands.
    Wiiflow will also work in neek2o. both will see your homebrew on HDD
    You should install priiloader on your real nand but Do not install priiloader on emunand. In the latest revisions of neek2o that I have tested Overjoy has stopped it from being detected, it cause issues.
    As far as your last question you can install bootneek dol file into priiloader on your real nand. then in your settings option under autoboot choose your installed file. This will allow you to choose the way you want your wii to boot.
    Hope this helps
    Shag

d.d.d. New Member

Message Count:
    Japan
    Thanks for the help guys. :)

I get what you guys meant for the Priiloader install/autoboot option; I'm just unsure about how to launch it afterwards if I were to boot from my real NAND at first. I'm fairly sure all I need to do is just create a folder in the apps folder and put the "neekbooter.dol" in it, and then launch it, right?
    I'm just a bit puzzled by that because with the noob installer via ModMii, it only had the "neekbooter.dol" file in the root of the SD folder, not in the apps folder. (Sorry but I'm not at home most of this week so I'm just trying to figure as much out as possible before working on it.)

Shag New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    If you use bootneek installed on priiloader it gives you the option to choose before booting to system menu. you can alsoc heck this forum out. It is a switch channel for neek2o

http://gbatemp.net/t...o/page__st__105
    • Newcomer

doveman New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I'm still not having any luck booting sneek+di from SD. The last thing I tried was to dump the NAND with USB GX Loader and use that instead of a modmii-built emu-nand but I think (it was a couple of weeks ago) all that happened when I launched the Sneek Booter channel is the screen went blank and stayed like that (I left it for some time and it hadn't changed when I came back and checked). With the NAND folders (meta, shared1, etc), , do I need to put them in nands\pl_eu on the SD? I built the actual sneek+di with Modmii and that's "SNEEK+DI neek2o rev88".

I'm finding it quite hard to manage the files on the Wii as well, as WiiExplorer doesn't show my USB HDD if it's running from it from USB and if I run it from SD, it doesn't show the SD card, so I can't copy files from the SD to the HDD. If I select "Reload" it just crashes to a black debug screen. Likewise I can't work out how to uninstall WADs anymore as when I run the WAD manager (I forget it's proper name) it won't let me access the USB HDD, only the SD card. I can't work out how to use WADGUI either as I think that just gives me a Browse and SMB button, so I'm not sure how to uninstall a WAD/Channel to tidy up and install a different/newer one.
    • Newcomer

kkill New Member

Message Count:
    China
    thank you for all your work,i realy love neek2o
    • Newcomer

doveman New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Is anyone able to help me please? I did put the dumped NAND folders in nands\pl_eu on the SD but it didn't work (just hung on a black screen when trying to switch to Sneek and when renaming the bootmiineek folder to bootmii and booting with the SD card inserted).

PizzaPino New Member

Message Count:
    El Salvador