Hacking neek2o - DI refuses to work

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've spent a good while on this now, and frankly I'm 100% stumped.

SNEEK itsself works absolutely fine.
UNEEK works absolutely fine
SNEEK-DI Doesn't work
UNEEK-DI Doesn't work

MY USB Drive is FAT32/32k/Primary/Active. I've got a game extracted with DiscEX in USB:/games/ with the correct file hierachy. However, the Wii just hangs on boot and doesn't do anything. I've tried leaving it for 30 mins, I've tried different games, I've tried reformatting the HDD, I've tried recompiling neek2o with ModMii, everything.

If anyone knows of something I need to do to get this working, I'd hugely appreciate it. I'm frankly out of ideas now. Thanks

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had issues with sneek2o+di, but uneek2o+di work fine for me.

you could try to force a cache refresh.
delete the diconfig.bin file in /sneek/ folder

it could also be nandcfg.bin too, you can delete it.
both files will be re-generated by neek.

if you use neek2o, you can place Wii game discs directly in /wbfs/ folder as wbfs files too.
sneek/uneek require the extracted game files in /games/
but neek2o can mount wbfs files too.

if deleting the cache files didn't work, try without DiscEx format in /games/ folder, and place your wbfs in the usual USBLoaders place.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, that's interesting, I haven't got a diconfig.bin and I never have had one.

Also thanks, i didn't know about the wbfs method, I'll give it a shot and get back to you.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jesus, this is getting even more ridiculous. For some reason UNEEK has decided to flat out stop working now. I have absolutely no idea what is causing this.

I'm trying a different USB device now, but since it loaded once last night the drive should work. I've tried a few different cables too.

Interestingly this keeps coming up in logs, even when I'm using normal UNEEK

Code:
ES:ISFS_Get_Di_Path = /sneek
ES:Checking magic in memory 0xffffffff
ES:Loading IOS80 v514...

EDIT: Or am I right in thinking that the only difference between the 4 is Kernal.bin for U or S, and if the DI is present it loads that?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, the "kernel" (not kernal. If you name it like that it will never work) is different for SD or USB.
di.bin is loaded if present.

You have the two files located on both SD and USB?

if you use bootmii method to launch neek, you need the kernel.bin on SD
if you boot it using nswitch (but it depends which version you are using) you should only need the kernel.bin on the device where your nand is located. For safety, just put it in both devices.

SD:/sneek/kernel.bin
USB:/sneek/kernel.bin
USB:/sneek/di.bin
USB:/sneek/font.bin

The other files will be auto-generated by neek/neek2o
/sneek/diconfig.bin <--- contains a list for games (game cache). If you add new wbfs/gc games, you need to force a cache refresh to see the new game in the list.
/sneek/nandcfg.bin <--- used by neek2o only, it contains a list of possible NANDs to load or switch to. sneek/uneek loads only from the root, but neek2o can use subfolders to locate the NAND. This file provide the path to the nands and the info to know which one to load first.

Your drive must be on USB Port 0, no other HDD connected.
Your USB Drive partition must be FAT32
use 32k/cluster (I don't remember if 64k are compatible)
The FAT32 partition must be MBR, primary, and the first on the partition table
I think it works only with HDD with 512bytes per sector (4096bytes/sector, advanced mode HDD are probably not compatible)

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, thanks again, it seems after my latest round of poking I can load Wii games without issue. Turns out the kernel.bin that got generated for DI was slightly corrupt, but using the one that got generated normally got it working. I'm also using the boot2 loading method, just since I can and it's quicker. It also means I only have to have a modified boot2 on my wii, and everything else is stock (Which is the whole point of this exercise)

Having said all this, I'm now having a bit of bother getting Gamecube games to work.

First of all, I downloaded both the sneek version of DML as well as the sneek version of just DM, mainly because I think the ZIPs are named incorrectly and it's kinda weird. The one listed as the download for DM has the zip called lite, and vise versa. However the internal contents are different again, and the readmes seem to confirm this.

Installing Lite just throws an error so I'm pretty sure it's as the zip says, but installing normal DM just gives me a black screen when I try to load a game, be it from an ISO or from a DiscEX formatted thing. Once the Wii just shut itsself down. I'm not really sure where to go from here. In terms of HDD access, it flashes for a bit, then the light goes out, then it flashes some more, then just sticks on like it normally does in idle.

I'd obviously rather use Nintendont, but since I'm using UNEEK that isn't really an option since it doesn't have access to the HDD.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: It's the simple things isn't it. I switched the USB port. It worked. Thanks for the help, everything is working smashing now!

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, it's taken me days but I'm fairly confident that I'm going to have a better system at the end of it. I'm in all honesty amazed I got it to how it is - At one point I had DARKCORP installed on there. Somehow after finding an old NAND backup I've managed to get myself into a much, much better situation in terms of potential bricks.

The other advantage of this is I should be able to just load stuff on my WiiU from the same HDD without having to mess around with anything. I've had a basic softmod on that for a while now, and it's pretty handy. Originally I did it for capture, but the WiiU's internal scaler is absolutely terrible. I've got a much, much better setup coming from the actual Wii now.

Also it's been named kernel.bin the entire time, it was just me being useless at spelling. I thought it looked wrong when I was making the post, lol.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Glad it works now.
I didn't thought telling you to use only Port 0.
A lot of homebrew are mounting port 0 first/only.

on Wii it's the bottom port, on WiiU it's the top one on the back of the console.

Reactions: Jademalo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock