Need recommendations on video editing

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to use Freemake, but the free version has become less than stellar. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, I just need to trim, combine and convert some videos. Right now it's taking me hours to convert a 10 minute video. I must be doing something wrong. What is the best and simplest option right now?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main factors that are going to matter when converting your video is how long the video is, what codec / compression is being used, and what resolutions you're encoding to/from.

If all your doing is trimming, combining, and converting videos, if you're decent on the command line you might only need to use a few ffmpeg commands. Otherwise, there are a ton of different video editors that you can use.
VirtualDub, Avidemux, Lightworks, OpenShot, Source Filmmaker, DaVinci Resolve, Kdenlive, Pitivi, heck even Windows Movie Maker. The list goes on and on...

micjustin33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Camtasia is a software suite, created and published by TechSmith, for creating video tutorials and presentations directly via screencast, or via a direct recording plug-in to Microsoft PowerPoint.

Yamineko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going off on what RHOPKINS13 said, it also depends on how powerful your CPU (and in some cases, your GPU) is. The more cores and higher frequency, the faster your videos will render. Having an SSD will also help curb the time it takes to render.

digi-u

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to use Freemake, but the free version has become less than stellar. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, I just need to trim, combine and convert some videos. Right now it's taking me hours to convert a 10 minute video. I must be doing something wrong. What is the best and simplest option right now?

Hi, I don't really know, but I noticed that Parrot OS based on debian stretch has an OS Edition dedicated to video production and general use. That Parrot OS alternative might have something for you.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The OP probably got his answer a month ago when making this thread, so he may not be interested in further answers.

But just to throw in my two cents, I picked up Sony Vegas Pro 15 off the humble bundle for $25, which does just about everything. I still prefer iMovie, but my gaming desktop renders around 3x faster which is a lifesaver for me. 1-3 hours per video instead of 5-9 hours on my MacBook.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Welcome to the internet! Lol +1