Hardware NEED help with PSP 3004 screen problem

MRsonic699

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
So today, while playing wipeout, my PSP screen just started whitening suddely and quickly looked washed out. Colors are messed up, so is the contrast, rows of lines on the screen, looks washed out and there's some kind of light vignette around the screen too. I opened it and I can't find the problem at the ribbon cables. Can someone help me out? I love my PSP just as much as the next guy and I REALLY want to fix it.

Here are some photo examples of the screen and a pic of my PSP opened.
ScNvTE3.jpg

buFBE97.jpg

Z9Z0jl5.jpg

MRsonic699

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I have no idea, weird thing is how it sometimes got worse or slightly better as I was using it?! I have no idea what's it related to. It also seems I slightly flicker somehow. I tried cleaning everything I could with isoprophylic alcohol, by the way.
Also, look how weird and bad the contrast is.
ARdEpdn.jpg

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought these are symptoms of an LCD screen that is failing. Maybe nothing is wrong with your PSP and the screen is simply nearing the end of its life. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

MRsonic699

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I thought these are symptoms of an LCD screen that is failing. Maybe nothing is wrong with your PSP and the screen is simply nearing the end of its life. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would say so too, but thing is, when I booted it up yesterday, the screen looked perfectly right for like 4 seconds and then suddenly went awful again. It just doesn't make sense, something is not right.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe that's normal behavior for an old screen.

actually this reminds me of the problem I had with my dsi. The screen starts out normal when you power it on but gradually becomes more faded and washed out until a minute or two later when it just gives out, or an error message would suddenly appear. I never figured out what had caused it, and sttangely enough replacing the screen did not help. But the problem had never started until after I dismantled the system and poked around a lot.

MRsonic699

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
But the problem had never started until after I dismantled the system and poked around a lot.

I see. I haven't opened my PSP before this problem starting. As I said before, this problem started happening WHILE I was using my PSP on a casual day. Maybe it's because I shook it since I was pressing buttons harder while playing Project Diva on Extreme difficulty? Something might've loosened, and that's what I'm searching for right now, but I can't find it...

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe replace the screen to see whether it has the same problem . That would at least there you whether the screen isd at fault, or something else. I'd hate to make you waste money on a screen only to find it doesn't fix the problem, but its probably something I would do simply because I'd be immensely curious to know what the problem is.

I checked DX.com a few minutes ago, simce my screen is broken, they have four different listings for psp3000 screens. So the question is which one to get. I'm leaning toward the more expensive one. (Sharp, 19.99)

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dont you know anyone else with a PSP3000? If so, just swap the LCD over, that will tell you all you need to know. Failing that, you need to take it apart and check all the connections are secure. Either way, if checking the connections doesn't solve it, your first port of call is going to be changing the LCD anyway.

Or, buy yourself a cheapy tv out cable, and see if the problem persists on your TV screen. If it does, then you know its a hardware issue with your PSP. If the picture is fine, you can be almost sure your PSP screen is knackered. These will set you back a couple of quid on ebay.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the picture is perfect through TV out then I don't think you have any choice but to replace the LCD screen as it all points to that being on its way out in all honesty. The way I see it, if you replace the LCD screen and it still doesn't work, then you pretty much have a useless PSP anyway unless you REALLY know what your doing to fix it. So bottom line is you'd need to go out and get a new one. So for the sake of £20, its the first thing I'd try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay