Homebrew need help seperating roms

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if there is a way to separate roms according to their name. The problem is I found a collection of roms and just don't need them all but would like to keep those that are of my region. I need all the (U).smc and or (U) [!].smc files (space is in the middle of (U) [!] , separated from the others. I could do this 1 at a time but it would take a very long time to do this as there are roughly 12,000 roms in this particular collection.

Any suggestions ?

I was thinking some type of batch file could be used but I'm not sure of how to go about scripting it. If anyone could come up with a solution I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks for your time.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GoodSNES set, eh? I might be able to write a little script to move anything with (u) in it's filename to another folder.
If you only want the (U) [!].smc ones, a "*(U) [!].smc" without the quotes should work. ([!] means perfect dump)
EG:
COPY *"(U) [!].smc" REFINED_GOODSNES
should work
(UNTESTED)

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just used "duplicatefileremover", then manually delete some unwanted games, and then "batchfilerenamer". the first checks the actual contents of the files and deletes files that are the same. then second i just delete whatever games i don't want. and finally the batchfilerenamer to get rid of the (u)[blabla] shit.

this obviously isn't the fastest or easiest method, but it works. and it makes sure that i keep whatever games i want.

http://www.duplicatefileremover.com/
http://download.cnet.com/Batch-File-Rename...4-10781978.html

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
You could do this very easily with the Windows 7 Search
biggrin.gif

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the replies. I'll try the programs you suggested giantpune. Oh, I don't have Windows 7.
smile.gif

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What OS?

Posts merged

If you have Vista (*groan*), navigate to your ROM folder and do a search for (U) or [!] (u) and drag all of the results to another folder!

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on windows vista. The duplicate remover was no help at all because of course no 2 files are a like or there would be no use for the "Complete" collection eh ??

But, the Batchfilerenamer has came in pretty handy for renaming some stuff while choosing to edit or take some stuff out of the names of the individual files.

I spent all day cleaning up the SNES, but I still need to clean the NES or .nes files and .sms files also.

If I had a way to delete any file or move any file in a selective folder that has something in () I would be in there.

I can do a search for (U) and cut down the work, then I can use renamer to just take the (U) out of every name, but I'm left with a bunch of misc files that I need to get rid of. Delete or move it wouldn't matter. All the files I would want to keep would have no () in the name at all.

If I had something that would do a search for ("random") and delete or move, I could get the job done real quick.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

EDIT: answering the above reply, I did that and I'm still left with thousands of files with (U) in the name, examples;

"same game" (U) [b2][f2 + T - Fre]
"same game" (U) [b3]
"same game" (U) [b4]
"same game" (U) [b5]
"same game" (U) [o1]

and so forth.

Thanks for the replies mac.

sen7inel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my case I wrote a simple batch file to remove the ones I wasn't interested in, and then went through the remaining ones manually:

del *(E)*.*
del *[b2]*.*
del *[b3]*.*
del *T-Fre*.*
del *T-Itl*
del *(vs)*

So on and so forth.

Then I used Bulk Rename Utility to quickly get rid of various suffixes (U), [prg1] etc. Hope this helps.

rich333

Trophies
XP
Country
http://www.users.on.net/~swcheetah/sam/UnGoodMerge.html

this was i a old thread - havent had time to try it yet, as i have a similar problem.

I want all my games PAL, but if there is no PAL release then i'd like to keep the NTSC-U, and if not then the NSTC-J Version. So i dont want to get rid of a Jap game if it was only released in Japan, etc.

let me know if its any good, or what method worked best for you

(Also, whats the [b2], [b3], etc stand for, is [b1] the best rom or the (!) - i never really understood these symbols)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo