Hacking need help picking a protable hard drive

Lokote2134

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i want to use the Brazilian way to play wii u games off a portable hard drive thats around 1tb which do you guys recommend i get so it will work with wii u

D

Deleted User

I use a Western Digital My Passport for external storage on my laptop, they're pretty cheap and pretty fast too. I have a 2TB one, but I'd imagine the 1TB one is just as good in terms of speed and stuff. I've never used one with a Wii U, though, since I don't yet own a Wii U.

Lokote2134

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a 128 gb sandisk usb will that work? also do i need to install rednand if i want to play these games online?

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a 128 gb sandisk usb will that work? also do i need to install rednand if i want to play these games online?

A USB stick will work fine. I've been using a 64GB PNY Attache USB and I haven't noticed any longer load times compared to internal memory.

And no, you do not need rednand if you want to play online. All you need to do is install your games with the Brazilian method.

Reactions: kingraa777

belisleian

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't want a personal HDD that needs a y splitter then you'll have to use a self powered drive which requires you to have it plugged into an outlet. It's overall more reliable in terms of power but that can be a pain for some, Also it's cheaper to buy an HDD and then buy the enclosure to make it portable rather then buying a portable HDD from the get go.

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also don't copy your system saves or anything from the eshop to the hdd or flash drive, it can corrupt and delete stuff from the drive meaning you'll loose everything

Reactions: Vorde

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if anyone has measured the speed differences in loading times, but you also want a HDD that's 7200rpm, not a 5200rpm drive. The 5200rpm usually use less power, but are slower, and with my experiences with them in PCs they usually fail quicker too :(

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can simply use a portable ssd too if you want, even though the speeds will still be USB 2.0, it will not need a Y cable. . There are some cheap Monster drives, or something a bit more reliable like SanDisk or Kingston.. I currently use a 128gb flash drive , 8 don't plan to fill it full of games, 1 or 2 until I complete them, then load 1 or 2 new games. .

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Samsung T3 Portable SSD 240gb for 99 via Amazon, but Black Friday and Cyber Monday are right around the corner so all media will be cheaper then.

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
im just using a 250GB Toshiba hdd that i got from my old 2010 macbook pro and put inside a Kingston enclosure then add Y-cable and that's it..speed is same as internal memory on WiiU for me..

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can simply use a portable ssd too if you want, even though the speeds will still be USB 2.0, it will not need a Y cable. . There are some cheap Monster drives, or something a bit more reliable like SanDisk or Kingston.. I currently use a 128gb flash drive , 8 don't plan to fill it full of games, 1 or 2 until I complete them, then load 1 or 2 new games. .

I had to use a y cable with my PNY 240gb ssd.

punkskaguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Samsung T3 Portable SSD 240gb for 99 via Amazon, but Black Friday and Cyber Monday are right around the corner so all media will be cheaper then.

Good to know that an SSD does not need a Y-cable.
But I for one think that an SSD via USB2 on a WiiU is an absolute overkill.

I prefer using a normal USB2.0/3.0 external drive.
But in this case you definitly need a Y-cable OR a external power supply unit for it.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Toshiba 1Tb 2,5 portable disk needs Y cable, for sure, but it's almost nothing the cable, and works like a charm after that.

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to use a y cable with my PNY 240gb ssd.

I didn't with a Monster drive, but maybe different brands will act different..

Good to know that an SSD does not need a Y-cable.
But I for one think that an SSD via USB2 on a WiiU is an absolute overkill.

I prefer using a normal USB2.0/3.0 external drive.
But in this case you definitly need a Y-cable OR a external power supply unit for it.

I prefer not to use an SSD either since its overkill but since there so cheap now, ill be getting one for it..
Seems some SSD drives, still need a Y cable, at least PNY does. Monster drives do not, and most Samsung drives do not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1