Hacking Need help identifying hacked console

shemmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i bought a cheap 360 off of ebay to stick in the kids bedroom and stream movies from my nas box.

the package arrived, but when i tried to connect to xbox live i discovered it was banned so i can't get the media update required to play avi files.

however, also included in the box was 2 spindles worth of "backup" games. turns out this console has been hacked.

is there anyway i can find out which type of hack has been performed on it without having to open the case up and peer inside? and if i can find out which hack has been used, is there anyway to make it play avi files? if not, i'll just sell it back on ebay and buy another.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it's banned, then no avis. The media update is tied to the console, so no live=no media update. Hack will be a drive flash, other than dumping the firmware and loading it into jungleflasher to see which it is, there isn't really any way to narrow it down more than that.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
More then likely it has iXtreme 1.6. I think someone on this forum uploaded the media update, let me check.

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd say keep it for cheap games and buy yourself a softmodded original XBOX1 with XBMC installed, best (SD) media streamer you can buy for sub £20

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take it apart and google for the tutorial for unbanning.

I remember seeing one for unbanning using some nand hack or something. (Or was that unflagging for the ban wave?)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as most people are concerned there is no unbanning for non-JTAG consoles- you would have needed to grab the CPU key for your 360 back before August 11th 2009 and those that did that but still updated will likely know all what goes here and more. Even if you had that though it is not usually worth the effort unbanning for a regular console.

You might have seen the secdata.bin/uncrippling hacks and related things where a banned 360 would not allow them to be transferred across consoles but due to a quirk with the way flash memory works (it skips around to avoid writing to the same point several times) you could normally pull an old but working/signed version from a complete flash dump and restore that to working order and with it your ability to transfer saves around. I do not know what went on the AVI front but I consider the media functions of the consoles save for XBMC and maybe some wii stuff to be amusing toys at best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o