Hardware Need a new graphics card

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My computer is alright for gaming but if i had a better graphics card it would be so much better. i dont know how to install one or what I should buy/ or even how to install it. ( shouldn't be too hard to install) but I need help finding out which ones are compatible with my system. I know nothing about building computers or what will work.

Here is my system with specs: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=5035352&prodTypeId=12454

What graphics card is compatible with that?

stormwolf18

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
How much you want to spend on a card?
If your power supply is really 200 watts, you'll need to upgrade, 500-600w should be a minimum.
make sure to check the size of the card, might be thight in that case.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I dont want to go too high in $ but I want a nice fps on games

On Minecraft I get 20-30 fps without any mods. So Im looking for maybe 60-70 or even 80-90.
On like TES: oblivion I get 30-40 fps and it would be nice to get higher like 70-80 maybe.

I dont need amazing 100+ fps on every game but I want them to be playable with a smooth 40-50 at least. I dont need all the new games like MW3 or stuff like that because I know it wont run good.

Also how would i upgrade my watt amount? What should I buy?

BlazerX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk but Im Looking to get a Geforce 9800GT Eco Edition(Tuned Down 9800GT without 6Pin Power connecter but can be overclocked back to original settings) My GPU is 365 Max and i heard/seen people use this card on 250-300w without any problems

My Recommendations would probably be
PNY 9800GT EE:250-400W
GTS250:400-500W 6Pin
GTX465:450-500W

im not PSU genuis just my expectations

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be better to just go with an entire new PC rather than buying a $200 card and upgrade my watt supply? ive been looking into switching to a laptop for a while but wasn't sure yet.

BlazerX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can build a decent gaming computer for 400-500$, I mean it depends on you budget, You can get a decent PSU and a decent GPU for around 200
I see many cards on ebay from around 50-130 decent ATI and Nvidia
for my Preferance im getting the PNY 9800GT EE for decent gaming but

If you consider etting a laptop would be good but not upgradeable

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you got 2 main problem with the upgrade path of your desktop and both are caused by the computer case. It's a small form factor (SFF), you can't fit traditional psu and not any gpu as well (don't worry about the 200$ one, they'll never fit)

if you want to keep your case, you'll have to find a more powerful psu that fit ( seems pretty rare, maybe this one will fit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338063, again not sure about the fitting), and use a low profile gpu like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131480.
this solution should get you just what you want.
(6570 and 6670, if you want to spend less should do the job more than adequately too)

the other option would be to find an atx case with a normal psu, from there you can spend anything you want on your next gpu. this way is interesting, if you're interested in desktop gaming, you can spend like 125-170 on a gpu that will last and in a year or two you can upgrade your cpu/ram/mobo and keep the the case, psu, gpu and the drives.

Also, about minecraft, you say you want fps higher than 60-70? that would be a waste as most monitors today have a refresh rate of 60hz, any frame rendered over that aren't displayed, if you're experiencing screen tearing while playing minecraft, just enable vertical sync.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
get HD6570
V9utV.jpg

just recently buy it to replace old 8400GS

it's low profile gpu, and very low on watt consumption.
I don't think you even need to replace your psu as well.
it performs like my old HD4670, and tbh it's a bit better since it also support latest dx11.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Eh.... which version is the PCI-e x16?
I don't see a revision nr. in that sheet. so I assume 1.0 ?

You'll be better of buying a newer pc or laptop than trying to upgrade that thing....
At least that is my view on the matter

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I am using it.
You can believe other people review (considering their opinion about Tier 3 GPU is always bad for gaming) or me that been using it to play various games on steam.
it's been like that eversince the first Riva TNT vs RivaTNT2 vs Riva TNT vanta, Geforce 256 vs Geforce 2MX vs Geforce 2

they test it based on benchmark, I was a computer hardware reviewer that's what I do
Low number = bad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: