Nearly a decade after its launch, The Sims 4 is going free to play

header (2).jpg

In the far-flung past of 2014, EA released The Sims 4, the then, and now, latest entry in the longstanding Sims franchise. The game launched at a retail price of $59.99, though it dropped to $39.99 a couple of years after its release, and would eventually fall to $19.99 as a base price. Now, EA wants to drop the price of The Sims 4 to completely nothing--making the game free-to-play for everyone on console and PC. This change will go into effect on October 18th of this year, and on that same date, developer Maxis will showcase what's next for The Sims 4 in terms of future DLC. On the subject of DLC, it appears that will be the main way of monetizing the game, as it has been for a while--if you were to purchase every single DLC pack for The Sims 4, it would set you back about $870. Those that purchased The Sims 4 prior to going free-to-play will receive the Desert Luxe Kit for free.

With The Sims 4 going free to play, our team is more dedicated than ever to developing new and meaningful The Sims 4 experiences for our players and we will continue to develop and release packs, kits and Sims Delivery Express drops into the foreseeable future. We’ll be sharing more about what’s in the works during a special-edition stream, Behind The Sims Summit on October 18, 2022 at 10 am PDT via The Sims YouTube and Twitch channels, also available on demand!

EA Play and EA Play Pro members will receive an upgraded experience when member-only bundles of The Sims 4 go into The Play List on October 18. The Sims 4 EA Play Edition includes The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack, while the EA Play Pro Edition includes both The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack and The Sims 4 Toddler Stuff Pack.

:arrow: Source

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of Crusader Kings 2. It went free to play, because they wanted you to buy all the DLC. I just got the base game, and pirated all the DLC.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So in other words, there isn't that many people that are buying the game. EA is giving everyone who didn't buy the game a "free" sample of the game only to milk the players through DLCs.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So in other words, there isn't that many people that are buying the game. EA is giving everyone who didn't buy the game a "free" sample of the game only to milk the players through DLCs.
exactly, now they'll have to only pay 870$+txs instead of 890$+txs

• Haha
Reactions: xdarkx

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Build a swimming pool, make the character go in and then remove the stairs to see the thing die. Does it still works?
nope, it doesn't anymore since TS3, however, you can still build a room, make your sim go in, remove the doors, and let it die

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit controls on console, nope.
You can just plug a keyboard and mouse into the console and avoid those controls at least. It's one of the games out there that support keyboard and mouse input or so I believe.

I am so glad I haven't purchased this one(I don't care too much for the Sims in general, but do find it fun from time to time) however, my wife has it, and when I told her about it going free-to-play, she was understandably angry. At least the base game wasn't super expensive (at least when she bought it) but that still stings for anyone who bought it.

I frankly think that The Sims would be cool to just release the base game for free and then charge for the DLC going forward. I doubt it will ever happen, cause we're talking about EA over here, but it's an interesting concept to fuel the game IMHO.

I know quite a few people who essentially buy every pack; They sell enough packs that they could likely fund the development of the game. But again, I am not a game developer, nor do I claim to be, so I could be very wrong on that hypothesis.

Last edited by mituzora,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly can't decide what's worse
The worse? You wanna know?
It's not being able to get out of the bed and be stuck in it... Why you ask? Because there's a plate besides it...
Yes, your sim could really die that way back in TS2

• Haha
Reactions: mituzora

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The worse? You wanna know?
It's not being able to get out of the bed and be stuck in it... Why you ask? Because there's a plate besides it...
Yes, your sim could really die that way back in TS2
For real? That's hiliarious!

Imagine being bed-ridden by a plate.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For real? That's hiliarious!

Imagine being bed-ridden by a plate.
Yes for real, ts3 included something very important in 3d that wasn't in ts2, something called "collisions"
In ts2, movements were grid based, and iirc, there were also no diagonal movement if one of the adjacent grid slot was blocked by an object
If an object was placed in the grid slot in front of your sim, it was simple for the code, your sim had to go around it

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The DLC is staying paid, so it isn't really free, most of the game's content is locked behind DLC and nobody in their right mind would want to play the base game without any of the extras. So it should be considered an unlimited time demo, nothing more.

hyprskllz

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
this is why i never buy games on day one and wait for big discount, that way when this happens i'd at least feel less ripped off.

or i'd just pirate them if i really want to play them.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can just plug a keyboard and mouse into the console and avoid those controls at least. It's one of the games out there that support keyboard and mouse input or so I believe.

Tried it when I 1000G'd that game, didn't work unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: mituzora

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone