Mythologies in Gaming

bassgs 435

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the Shin Megami Tensei games. the compendiums have lots of info about the roles of each demon in their respective real world mythologies. and I like reading through that.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fable, Star Wars, The whole DC/Marvel Universes/s.

Quite a few games has their own and very good Mythology.

Fire Emblem is also one of the games that start with "1000 years ago..." but I always like reading all the text to learn about it's history and it's not half bad.

xorrox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Metroid, the back story behind samus is great and there is enough lore spanning all the games even the crap ones to make her complete from A to Z, leaving the rest of the universe open - fanfic, homebrew games, etc... are easily adaptable given the amount of information readily available.

However, my two most preferred are specifically: Final Fantasy 3 (usa - 6 in J.) and Chrono Trigger (snes - didnt much care for the added content of the DS version)

In Final Fantasy 3 you cover so many different characters, their individual back stories and how they all came to meet and what role they play in the epic story.
My first time through the game took me nearly a year to complete (im a perfectionist and i tend to xp grind WAY TOO much
tongue.gif
)
but the story and detail to every character and the lore behind the story`s events itself was just inspiring - back when making a game was about plot and character development, solving puzzles, strategy and actual thought process/imagination - graphics, audio and bell and whistles came second - ah substance... rest in peace....

speaking of substance: that`s where Chrono Trigger Ties up the race. a simple kid, tossed into a crazy life/world altering events by sheer random chance.... (*cough destiny cough*) and finds himself chasing and courting a princess, fighting demons, demi-gods, TIME, and all manner of monsters and evil. In the year 1000 a freak accident rips a hole in space and time and sends him and his friends 400 years into the past, where a plot of treason and betrayal risk to undo all they know from their time. Solving that one issue leads them from their "present" (yr1000) to the year 2300 a post apocalyptic place of ruin, to the dawn of humanity in 65,000,000 BC - even to the very end of time...
Multiple endings, no linear story, wicked crazy plot development - one of few games in which the main hero is killed off LOL Come on - how is it no one called these two before me?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't in all seriousness give this to the Final Fantasy series as the mythology is always different, therefore while they're nearly always good, they just don't get a chance to fully develop over time. Great, but not the best. Personally I think Bioware takes the title one way or the other. Either Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect. Overall I'd probably give it to Mass Effect. It does such a fantastic job of making us feel like we're a part of a huge galactic community. There are so many tiny little details that add a truly astonishing level of depth. Things you might not even notice, like the volus by the bio-enhancements stall on Ilium talking about how he needs something 'flashier' that lets him 'own the room'. The quarian in the bar talking about inter-species dating and the resultant medical issues. Sit and read/listen to the codex entries some time. The whole world feels so deep and well crafted that half the time I forget it's even a video game. It feels like something more, which is unbelieveably difficult to accomplish.

I tip my hat to everyone at Bioware who worked on Dragon Age or Mass Effect, who helped in any way to create these rich and involving worlds. As Screwattack so eloquently put it, you're studs. Every last one of you.

I wonder if Bioware are hiring
unsure.gif

dekuleon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Age of Mythology FOR THE WIN! I always play it via Hamachi with my friend! You can customize the shortcut to work with Hamachi and enable widescreen! Works perfectly with windows 7 and any pc!

The Legend of Zelda are my favourites games, and they are also amazingly good! Specially Ocarina of Time!! Getting it for 3DS as soon as possible!!

Zhelkus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, the strongest and richest lores I've seen are in Mass Effect, WarCraft and Legacy of Kain. I seriously love plot twists and these three have that in abundance.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally the Fallout series is absolutely intriguing. Alternate timelines are so fun.

Dragon Age has a rich history as well.

Also, the Elder Scrolls.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice catches on the last two posts. Legacy of Kain (the first one...have barely played the other) may have played like a simple hack 'n slash game, but the rich story elements, the mood and great voice acting made it very compelling.

Fallout has the atmospheric mood, but while the Mad Max-setting is pretty consistent throughout the series, I wouldn't say it is really a mythology.

Still, my personal best I can think of (or at least tied with Legacy of Kain) is Abe's Oddyssey. In most other games, I don't give a damn about NPC's (except if there's some reward in it). But those little mudokon's just have too much charm to pass up. Combined with the chanting, their primitive religion, all that sort of stuff...it just gets my vote.

@others: I don't mean to bash on the big names, but after too many games, I find it hard to keep the mythologies intact. Lots of RPG's seem to come up with mythologies because their audience expects it to (usually with a counter-religion involved, so there is some REASON why the player has opposition). It's usually paper thin...especially with long series, where the mythology either repeats itself (Zelda) or completely ignores previous installments (Final Fantasy).

I admit I'm not easily touched by video game stories. But if I care more about that poor Nali getting attacked by a brutal skaarj (Unreal reference) than some thousand-year old temple getting attacked by some metalchrome robo army, then the latter game is doing something wrong.

ChaosZero816

Temp's Official Random Member
Trophies
XP
Country
My picks are Starcraft and Castlevania.

Starcraft has a mysterious vibe to it. There are many things still unexplained at this point in the story and there is so much room in explaining the next events that will occur.

Castlevania is a rich blend of different mythologies that influence its stories. It has Greek, Norse, and it also takes from the bible. IMO, it has one of the most diverse storyline of all the game series that still go on up to this day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!