Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok a while ago it was announced that Myst would be heading to the DS, in fact I think I heard about it first on this very forum. A few days ago someone on 1up posted an interview that reveals that there will be some new additions to the DS version.

SP: Do you plan to implement any touch screen controls such as note taking or
maps?
MG: We are adding several elements that will support the player as they journey through MYST. Features such as Map generation and Note Pad are but a couple of the unique tools available to the MYST adventurer on the DS.

SP: It is famously claimed that many bought the game but few finished it. What do you intend to do to make the game more flexible if players get stuck, for instance the spaceship's organ puzzle? Not that I got stuck there, of course.
MG: Along with a touch interface, we have given a set of tools to support the player in their adventure. MYST is a vast and magical world that the greatest tool is the players inquisitive mind. We are also allowing players to take snapshots so that they can remember clues easier.

Full interview here.

Still dunno what to make of Myst coming to the DS, can't say I was into back then but then I'll probably not have been into Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk if they were out back then. The game is due to be published by Midway and said to be out in November. It'll also come out on PSP last year in Japan and Europe but I don't remember seeing it.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bringing such game to DS is not easy at all. I bet it's gonna be a great game but is it going to have any replay value ? I doubt it. But then again, I can't wait for it. It's gonna be my first Myst game. If I like it a lot, I might have a look at the other games of the series too.

cheeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Myst will be great for insomniacs, they’ll finally get some sleep.
wink.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although it's interesting that they are trying to find a new audience for classic Myst, I really wish they would make sequels to games like Hotel Dusk instead of rehashing/re-porting decade old titles. Actually isn't Myst pushing 15?

sethsez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although it's interesting that they are trying to find a new audience for classic Myst, I really wish they would make sequels to games like Hotel Dusk instead of rehashing/re-porting decade old titles. Actually isn't Myst pushing 15?
Well, the people who are doing this have absolutely nothing to do with Hotel Dusk, so it's not like this port precludes development of HD2. And honestly I'd rather see new, unique games than get sequels to games that wrapped up their stories nicely, like Hotel Dusk did.

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although it's interesting that they are trying to find a new audience for classic Myst, I really wish they would make sequels to games like Hotel Dusk instead of rehashing/re-porting decade old titles. Actually isn't Myst pushing 15?

Well, the people who are doing this have absolutely nothing to do with Hotel Dusk, so it's not like this port precludes development of HD2. And honestly I'd rather see new, unique games than get sequels to games that wrapped up their stories nicely, like Hotel Dusk did.

Whoa, dude, it's you.
ohmy.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seth, what exactly was the point of your post?

I mean, I enjoyed Myst back in 94 (or whenever it was...) but the sequels (I only ventured into the second and third) were meh, the third if I remember right had a critical bug that made it impossible to beat without a patch.

Moreover, I realize the people that made Myst (whose name current escapes me) is not Nintendo/Cinq. Duh. They already talked about bringing Another Code/Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk into some sort of franchise thing for either the Wii or the DS.

My post was made to reflect than rather to port old games, I'd rather have fresh new games, or sequels to fresh new games. Hotel Dusk was just an example of a similar adventure-style game that had a similar feel.

So perhaps my initial post didn't lay it out quite that way, but here is my clarification.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
There is an audience for old games. I know, I'm part of it. As long as Nintendo is catering to all ages, including us *ahem* old farts, it makes sense to bring big sellers like Myst to market. There's a whole lot of people who bought a DS strictly for Brain Age and it's ilk. They remember Myst fondly, and probably didn't finish it when it was first out anyway (I didn't.) Especially if it's re-tooled to be less impossible, it'll sell well. The market that will enjoy it probably would not be clued in enough to know of Hotel Dusk and Lost in Blue and other such awesome games, unfortunate as that may be. So as a parallel market, I don't think it takes anything away from the "fresh" games, it just keeps the oldsters hooked on their DS...

..and that's a good thing!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.