PS1/2 My computer won't detect my IDE hard drive.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I can't tell if it's spinning or not. But it does get hot when it's plugged in. And no it doesn't show in disk management.
If you want to connect the HDD directly to your PC you have to use WinHIIP. The other options are backing up the disc directly from within HDLoader/HDAdvance or using the ethernet mode of the aforementioned with the PS2 connected to your PC using a LAN cable and the HDL_dumb app, but the fastest (though least convenient) method is connecting it directly to the PC.

Reactions: 431unknown

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
are you POWERING the drive in so way

also test the drive
do not use that usb thing and install the drive inside a computer and see it it works
By the looks of it that USB adapter doesn't have a molex connector so you're probably right, it's not powered.

I already downloaded WinHIIP. It says "there are no detectable drives on your system".
Since it looks like that adapter doesn't provide power, you could try taking one of the spare molex connectors inside your PC (the 4-pin ones with red, black and yellow wires) and connecting it to the HDD while the USB adapter is connected. The best would be to get a different adapter that provides power, so you don't need to open the PC up every time you want to connect the HDD.

Reactions: 431unknown

iron_man99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have the IDE plugged into its own ribbon or is it on a two connection cable. Also is the pins set to master, slave or cable select. You can tell by the black thing near the connection points.

Edit. Lol I might have goofed

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's powered. It came with an adapter that you plug into the wall socket. When it's plugged in the hard drive gets too hot to touch. Is that normal?

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok then I could be wrong, did you right click WinHIIP and run as Administrator (which he does not mention in tutorial). I did have a USB 2.0 to IDE Cable Adapter but it didn't last that long with all the times I used it, they are very cheap and nasty and break easily. Usb USE to be way slower than a direct connection ( but in my defence I was using a Pentium 3 1ghz Cpu Celeron with 1gb ram and usb 1.1 ).
And no it should not get so hot you cant touch it max temp should be around 30 degrees Celsius

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked the jumpers. They were on cable select. I set it to master/slave. But it still didn't work. The computer can't detect it. It has to be formatted with WinHIIP for the ps2 to even read it correct? But I can't even format it since the PC can't detect it. I'm so disgusted. I feel like I wasted my money.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
forget about the USB thing

INSTALL THE Drive INSIDE THE PC as a extra drive and see if the computer can see it

what was the drive sitting on when you 1st power it on

you may have kill the drive in some way

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Scratch n sniff +1