Homebrew My 3DS Won't Boot

Krissylv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So uhh, yeah. This has probably been answered before, but due to the amount of posts that has the almost same issue, I decided not to read em. So my problem is that with SD card, the blue light turns up and stays there for until I turn my 3DS off. Nothing boot up, and I can't even open Luma3DS with it. If I remove the SD card however, I can open Luma. However, it shows that the Luma version is 10.2, and I already updated it to v11, so at this point, I'm just desperate. And no, I can't open GodMode9 in either state, and I will get an error if I try to boot it up without an SD card. So if I see anyone telling me "follow the instructions" or "stop asking a question that has been answered", I will bite my pencil.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So if I see anyone telling me "follow the instructions" or "stop asking a question that has been answered", I will bite my pencil.
Please not so aggressive. Granted, there is the possibility to get nonsense replies; normally we tend to at least try to give sensible answers. Just ignore stupid, flat answers if you get them.
[...]but due to the amount of posts that has the almost same issue, I decided not to read em.
Hmmhm. Why not? There is probably something to learn inside the older threads.
=====

Okay. Please start by ruling out any possible issues with the SD itself: Backup the data and check the freshly formatted SD with h2testw or F3. Only trust an SD that passed the test.

Even if the SD works flawlessly on the PC, there is the possibility it won't on a 3DS. Try multiple other, FAT32 formatted SDs containing nothing but latest Luma3DS boot.firm.

The behavior you described here (blue LED forever and nothing else) happens when the SD cannot be read correctly (corruption, bad SD, contact issues on the reader).

Good luck!

Krissylv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hmmhm. Why not? There is probably something to learn inside the older threads.
A lot of the threads that I ran into mentioned that the light goes on and then it turns off after a while, which isn't like my issue.

=====

I did this once before, by formatting it from maybe a different format to FAT32. Do I only have to try my luck with FAT32 or are there any other format I can try?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did this once before, by formatting it from maybe a different format to FAT32. Do I only have to try my luck with FAT32 or are there any other format I can try?
The 3DS does not support anything other than FAT32 (and maybe FAT16 when using a non-HC SD card with max. 2GB).

Try more than one SD. Not having access to GodMode9 sure is making things harder.

Reactions: Krissylv and CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Krissylv you should check the sd card with h2testw for errors as suggested, to make sure it's not faulty or defective. Backup any data that's on your sd card before doing the test.
The sd card should be formatted as Fat32 32kb cluster size before and after the test.
Do the test with the "write & verify" option.
It will take some time depending on the size of your sdcard :
- if it passes the test, format it then put the latest Luma3DS files on it as well as GodMode9. And try again..
- if it doesn't, then your sd card is faulty and it is probably the root of your problem. You need to get a new replacement sd card..

SwedishGojira

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blog.svalas.net
XP
Country
I have had this problem on at least two 3DS units and when that happened it was not the SD card but failing lower screens in both cases. Replaced the screens and everything worked again.

It seems that this error happen when there is something wrong with the hardware connected to the motherboard so it could be anything from the screens, the sensor for lower screen, wi-fi card and even (I believe) the speaker and camera according to what I have read. I have only experienced the lower screens being the issue though.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I tried. H2testw said it passed but it doesn't seem like it's working...
I suspect contact issues if multiple FAT32 formatted SDs cause the problem and it turns on normally without SD.

I have had this problem on at least two 3DS units and when that happened it was not the SD card but failing lower screens in both cases. Replaced the screens and everything worked again.

It seems that this error happen when there is something wrong with the hardware connected to the motherboard so it could be anything from the screens, the sensor for lower screen, wi-fi card and even (I believe) the speaker and camera according to what I have read. I have only experienced the lower screens being the issue though.
In this case the screen shouldn't be working in Luma3DS settings and the ARM11 crash handler.

Problem is that all DS consoles behave erratically when a non-essential hardware component doesn't work like it should. Bad camera makes N3DSXL not work in normal mode (but in recovery mode and in Luma settings as well as GodMode9). Missing backlight(s) and/or missing/bad speaker cable causes direct shutoff.

WiFI missing can't be the case here. Although this has the same symptoms (blue light and nothing), it prevents booting at the very first moment causing even B9S to fail (no Luma settings). I think not even 8046 BOOTROM Error will "work" without WiFi card connected.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ