nonnonnon

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Hi. I have a computer wich gets dotted multicolored vertical lines as soon as i start the computer. As the Vista installation is corrupt, i would like to run ubuntu from a USB, to move all important files away from the pc. The problem is that when the install screen in ubuntu shows up the vertical lines is so intense that i cant see a thing. ( the lines are there when i am in BIOS too). I managed to see enough to install Ubuntu one time, but then i was so stupid that i put in a corrupt usb to copy the files to, that the computer stopped up. Now i cant see anything when the Ubuntu instalation comes up. Before that it is varying from time to time how many lines there is.

Anyone knows how to deal with this problem?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to the messed up GPU.

If you overclocked it then your warranty is probably void but if you still have a warranty then I would go that- I doubt it does here but "very expensive" usually refers to corporate grade kit (animators and the like, cad work and stuff like that) which will mean it has a really nice warranty.
On the other hand if it just means an expensive consumer grade thing then you will probably have to send it back (I am not familiar with warranty law in Norway so I will bow out here).

As for what caused it then it could be many things but I have seen a few people reflow the graphics chip (similar idea to the 360 RRoD).

Option 2- get a cheap and cheerful card. Chances are it is PCIe and decent but old cards do not run that much- you can probably pick up a decent one for about the price of a game (I did some poking around mamoz.no and it seems to hold) and PC game requirements (or at least the minimums that work well for games) have stalled in recent years.

nonnonnon

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
FAST6191 said:
+1 to the messed up GPU.

If you overclocked it then your warranty is probably void but if you still have a warranty then I would go that- I doubt it does here but "very expensive" usually refers to corporate grade kit (animators and the like, cad work and stuff like that) which will mean it has a really nice warranty.
On the other hand if it just means an expensive consumer grade thing then you will probably have to send it back (I am not familiar with warranty law in Norway so I will bow out here).

As for what caused it then it could be many things but I have seen a few people reflow the graphics chip (similar idea to the 360 RRoD).

Option 2- get a cheap and cheerful card. Chances are it is PCIe and decent but old cards do not run that much- you can probably pick up a decent one for about the price of a game (I did some poking around mamoz.no and it seems to hold) and PC game requirements (or at least the minimums that work well for games) have stalled in recent years.

I actualy have one old graphic card. I will try that and see what happens. I doubt that my messed up GPU has warranty
tongue.gif

Thanks for your help (-:

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
A long time ago, I had a weird case where, as soon as the comp turned on, the monitor would be completely frazzled out with enough lights and colours to make a hippy happy. It made no sense, yet if I power cycled the monitor itself (turn it off and on by removing the power cable) it fixed itself.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I forgot about that (I have seen it several times myself and seen it on several others)- you need to pull the power cable though and not just push the button.

Better yet while I could not induce it on demand changing resolution (as a bios/load screen will) did tend to increase the chances somewhat.

nonnonnon

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Originality said:
A long time ago, I had a weird case where, as soon as the comp turned on, the monitor would be completely frazzled out with enough lights and colours to make a hippy happy. It made no sense, yet if I power cycled the monitor itself (turn it off and on by removing the power cable) it fixed itself.
Thank You. I tryed that, but no luck...
It turned out that my old graphic card did not fit in my computer. I am now stuck with an messed up, expansive Nvidia graphics card. Anyone knows about a good, not so expansive card wich fits in my Asus psn e sli mother card?

nonnonnon

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Originality said:
"Did not fit"... as in, the port was wrong (non PCI-e)? Or didn't fit inside the case (i.e. too long)?
There was space, but it didnt fit with the cables ( its probably "non PCI-e, then
tongue.gif
)

EDIT: I meant the connection between the motherboard and the card, not the "cables"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: MoM, I don't have to do homework, anymore :D:blush::D