Homebrew msxDS version 0.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelStone

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, there's still a bug with save state in last version: it works fine in MSX2 mode but it does not work in MSX mode (I've not tried MSX2+ mode). I'd be great to get it solved in next version, MSX games played in MSX2 mode has slow downs but works fine in MSX mode.

Thanks for your effort!

supercarte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
You need to select the appropriate mode. You also select the ROM, FDD or CAS used.

(msxDS has been updated to 0.94!)

Dann Woolf

Deadpan Snarker
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I for the life of me cannot get this working. Hunting down all the required files was a pain in the ass, and when I tried to run Metal Gear I just got an endless loop of the MSX logo rising up.

I don't know if it would be against the rules to provide a link to MSXDS with all the required files (not the games, just the BIOS files and stuff), but if it is I would be happy.

Dann Woolf

Deadpan Snarker
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quick question, what file format are MSX/2/2+ ROMs supposed to be in? Just .rom, right? Disregard that, I'm an idiot.

Also, any word on a plugin for the DSTWO?

supercarte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
msxDS works fine on my R4 (Wood R4 installed).

The setup is very easy.

You must extract the /msxDS folder to root directory of your flash card, also extract the msxDS.nds file on your flash card (where you like it).
Then put all BIOS files in the /msxDS folder of your flash card.

The only difficulty is to get the BIOS.

PS: The cartridge pictures has been updated.

http://www.alternate-fmsxds.webs.com/download.html

DuncanVanTrigt

Trophies
XP
Really like the EMU. Many thanx. Getting all the right ROMS is a pain to be honest. Still can't find the right msx2p.rom file but all seems to work.
One suggestion : Interlaced screen mode? I really don't like the display options. I want it ALL on the top screen but now some lines are missing unless I choose one of the other options.
Keep up the good work :)

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice work Popolon!

One thing: How do I create my own .bin image files for my /pics directory?

Are they based around another file-format and then simply renamed OR do I need a custom Image-Tool to convert bitmaps into .bin images?

/Dace (aka. Nitendo)

supercarte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
DuncanVanTrigt,

The Interlaced screen mode for MSX2 screen modes is written in the Todo (but I have not idea if it will be done one day).

Dace,

See the manual in page 13 ('How to create the image of a MSX media?').

You need 'grit' utility that is included with devkitARM.
A dithering Software is recommended.

Summary of Method:

1/ Convert your picture to 256x192 dots (or the same proportions).
2/ Convert this picture to 32,768 colors with dithering. (optional)
3/ Convert this picture to DS format with 'grit'.
4/ Remane the file extension (.img.bin to .bin).

You can convert multiple pictures at once with grit if you create the following text file:

-W3
# disable alpha and set opaque bit for all pixels
-gT!

# use lz77 compression -gzl
-gzl

# 16 bit bitmap
-gB16

-m!

#bin output file
-ftb

-fh!
This file should be named 'default.grit' and placed in the same folder as your pictures.

If devkitARM is not installed on your computer, use the 'cd' command line to select the working folder of grit. (As for me I put grit in the folder that contains the pictures.)

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks supercarte!

I'm always so suprised when I post a valid question AND then get a quick valid answer - almost getting misty eyes over here in Sweden...

All the best,
Dace

hollowdeathcult

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I just founded this emulator. Have the 0.94.

Tried some roms and run flawlessy, but I'm having problems with the .dsk files... Got Govellius 2 for the MSX2, in 2 archives called GOLV2-0.DSK and GOLV2-1.DSK. I tried to pur the first file in the first diskette slot and run the emulator but nothing happens. I tried to pun the first file in the first slot, and the second one in the second slot, and run the emulator but nothing happens.

Maybe I got the wrong disk.rom bios? maybe I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

UPDATE:

the .dsk finally worked! It was just a rename issue... but now it seems that I have no control over the game... It's like the "joystick" didn't work at all. The story of the game just keep going and seems there's no way I could skip it and play.

Other thing, the BIOS files looks like this on my DS (sorry for the quality)

iR6pSPg3Nv7S9.JPG

Any place to get the correct BIOS files?

msxenthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
Very good emulator! It's been a while from the latest update,is it not yet possible to give a look to the source code? I'd like to see how this great emulator is made from inside and to learn something.
Thanks for your work.

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some major help! I tried everything to get this emulator to run on my R4 and it just white screens everytime! I checked the CRCs of all the BIOS files but yet, it still fails to boot! What am I doing wrong? Originally, I got the BIOS online from 4chan but I replaced the files after checking them but nothing happens after I did that. The replaced files are correct for what all I can tell. I'd be grateful if someone tells me what I'm doing wrong.

I know that after you select it, it should take you to a menu to run the disk rom or whatnot. It doesn't happen for me. I'll PM someone my BIOS files to see if that could be the case or it may be something else.

Last edited by Ziko,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1