Homebrew Mplayer wii questions.

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK since wii's got an mplayer port that's native and I know that mplayer can do dvds does that mean i can get it to play my dvds from a folder? Main reason I'm asking is I don't want to have to dig out my discs and would rather just use my already backed up folders and just plug it in.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
OK since wii's got an mplayer port that's native and I know that mplayer can do dvds does that mean i can get it to play my dvds from a folder?

Yes, that should work, you may even have the mpeg streams in any supported container and it would work. But I'm assuming your backups are just direct .vobs.
I've only done it before with WiiMC but it should work just as well with MPlayer CE.

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I was going to get whatever the most recent is, I now need to buy some component cables since I'm not going to do 480i I never had a reason to do it before as I was just using a CRT and havne't even bothered going back to my wii for a long while but then I realized I need to finish super mario galaxy 2, and thanks for your reply and information about it.

edit: I meant to put my title as Mplayer on wii question as I'm going to use mplayerCE as it's the one that seems to have been updated more.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
edit: I meant to put my title as Mplayer on wii question as I'm going to use mplayerCE as it's the one that seems to have been updated more.

WiiMC got more support in the end, you're better off with WiiMC. MPlayer CE uses less memory so it handles h264 video a bit better but that's about it.

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiMC got more support in the end, you're better off with WiiMC. MPlayer CE uses less memory so it handles h264 video a bit better but that's about it.
then I'll probably go with taht then, since I have my ps3 and a wii and a 360(360's going for repairs but doesn't suppoert as much media as my ps3 slim), so I'll probably do the wiimc since h.264 is just fine on my ps3 and when i did my own rips of videos they're level 4.1 with 5 reference frames and cabac which I doubt would play OK on the wii. They are 720x480 though.

I wonder if changing the gcc subexpression optimization optiosn would help it with playing video. On most software that is dependent on the cpu I get ~4-7% speedup depeneding on the software itself. x.264 I don't get a whole lot since it's already almost full asm.

I'll probably end up trying to recompile it myself as i've done with most programs that are needed for maximum performace. thanks for the information by teh way as I didn't even realize that that one was still ongoing/that there was a newer one than mplayerCE.

edit: have you any experience with generic component cables for the wii? I originally tried some for my psp but they never worked I guess they were faulty I got them from china and since I got a refund I wasn't worried about it and then bought the full priced ones, but the nintendo ones are way more expensive than the generic ones sadly.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
edit: have you any experience with generic component cables for the wii? I originally tried some for my psp but they never worked I guess they were faulty I got them from china and since I got a refund I wasn't worried about it and then bought the full priced ones, but the nintendo ones are way more expensive than the generic ones sadly.
My component cables were like three bucks and they work great, it's risky but generally worth it and I've had them for like a year.
I either got them from dx or mono price.

My personal fix for h264 videos is to use a lower resolution, the less lines you show the easier it is on the cpu, Netflix itself seems to only go up to 512x384 when running the video test.
It's a cheap way but it works well if you don't want to just 'hope' the video won't desync. Because no one has bothered to look for the best settings for WiiMC and even baseline would not work 100%. If you get any more specific then you're gonna be missing out on most of the compression options and end up with a file bigger than the source.
So, 512x384 for 4:3 and 640x360 for 16:9

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My component cables were like three bucks and they work great, it's risky but generally worth it and I've had them for like a year.
I either got them from dx or mono price.

My personal fix for h264 videos is to use a lower resolution, the less lines you show the easier it is on the cpu, Netflix itself seems to only go up to 512x384 when running the video test.
It's a cheap way but it works well if you don't want to just 'hope' the video won't desync. Because no one has bothered to look for the best settings for WiiMC and even baseline would not work 100%. If you get any more specific then you're gonna be missing out on most of the compression options and end up with a file bigger than the source.
So, 512x384 for 4:3 and 640x360 for 16:9

well as I said,I have a ps3 for h.264 since mine are dvd rips that are noisey as balls and I had to clean up so it's 720x480@30fps with really high levels of tweaked things to keep the size down without losing quality. I was originally looking at trying to get an odroid(dev board thing with power of the galaxy note) but stuff came up so I couldn't and I remembered that I still had my wii which used a ton less power than my ps3 so I'm going to be going with it. I'll probably try to look over the settings then and try to do benchmarks with videos to see if I can find out how the optimization options chnage things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: there a bunch of good games missing, one of them (which makes a lot of sense for this type of...