emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TBF you could be talking about any state school system in the world. I've never understood the idea of competition into schools though. Competition is economic and should be applied to fast food not schools which is quite different. In the UK, we've soon some market principle into teh school system and it hasn't actually really improved anything but league table distortion.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US school system is F***ed. In the ass. They give more budget to rich schools and less budget to poor schools, the budget is poorly managed, a school I used to go to somehow "let" seniors go $10,000 over budget for their prom (They had announced it the next day) -_-. Worst part is, you can't do shit about it, more people can't speak English, yet we dump more money into foreign language, we chop off libraries, we cut art programs, and *Most* teachers grade on a curve and/or are incompetent as a teacher. We had this coming, I really really hope this school gets a lot of bad press mainly about the 6 grand they spent on one detective on one family. Technically the family is stuck because of the way the law works, sympathy doesn't win court cases. I feel bad for them though and I hope they find some way out of the crap school they would have to go to.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
OK, what this woman did was wrong, but state funded education should not be better in more affluent areas. A child in a "rough" inner city school should have access to the exact same level of equipment and staff as a student in a nice little suburban school.

You can throw all the money and equipment at certain public schools, and they still wind up a giant hole of suck. Bad management, too many kids with parents that don't give a f*ck so their kids have no respect for authority, teachers that don't give a f*ck and only act as babysitters so the worst kids don't burn the place down, etc. Quite often these schools wind up spending more per student than the nice little suburban school, but it just doesn't matter. No one's there to actually teach, no one's there to actually learn.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sort of sounds like what this one mother I know is doing.

I actually live in ohio, but this is the first I've heard of it.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#1. She lied about where she and her children resided. She payed taxes to one locality, then took advantage of another. Sending her kids to the other district deprived that district of money paid by parents in that district for their own kids.

#2. She could have paid the difference to send her kids to the "better" school, but she falsely claimed she was poor (she didn't tell them all of her earnings), and calimed she "couldn't afford it".

#3. She falsely claimed she was deployed in the military to evade the school district.

This lady is a scumbag, plain and simple. If she wanted her kids to go to a better school, there were plenty of non-fraudulent ways of doing so that include:

1. Moving to the district (and paying taxes there) of the school district she wanted her kids to go to.
2. Paying the district the cost of her childrens education.
3. If money was an issue, having the grandfather take custody (who lived in the district), and have the children live with the grandfather.

Plus she lied about serving in the military to try and avoid them. This lady is garbage, and set a poor example for her children.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
#1. She lied about where she and her children resided. She payed taxes to one locality, then took advantage of another. Sending her kids to the other district deprived that district of money paid by parents in that district for their own kids.

#2. She could have paid the difference to send her kids to the "better" school, but she falsely claimed she was poor (she didn't tell them all of her earnings), and calimed she "couldn't afford it".

#3. She falsely claimed she was deployed in the military to evade the school district.

This lady is a scumbag, plain and simple. If she wanted her kids to go to a better school, there were plenty of non-fraudulent ways of doing so that include:

1. Moving to the district (and paying taxes there) of the school district she wanted her kids to go to.
2. Paying the district the cost of her childrens education.
3. If money was an issue, having the grandfather take custody (who lived in the district), and have the children live with the grandfather.

Plus she lied about serving in the military to try and avoid them. This lady is garbage, and set a poor example for her children.
Maybe a little too much you got there? Sure she lied and what not and it was wrong but you make it seem like she's America's worst criminal. She tried to do something good for her kids but in the wrong way. She doesn't deserve a break but I wouldn't stoop to call her a "scumbag".

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats messed up....we do this all the time in the city because city schools are shit.....and the county schools are more tame....

I don't see anything wrong with it as I've done it myself in elementary school .....

and honestly it happens all the time....

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nebula91 said:
Maybe a little too much you got there? Sure she lied and what not and it was wrong but you make it seem like she's America's worst criminal. She tried to do something good for her kids but in the wrong way. She doesn't deserve a break but I wouldn't stoop to call her a "scumbag".

She is a scumbag. If she robbed a bank to pay for her kids to go to college, would that have excused the crime?

Posts merged

QUOTE(Fear Zoa @ Mar 7 2011, 03:20 PM) Thats messed up....we do this all the time in the city because city schools are shit.....and the county schools are more tame....

I don't see anything wrong with it as I've done it myself in elementary school .....

Oh, the "I did it too, that makes it okay" excuse. Well played.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
nebula91 said:

She is a scumbag. If she robbed a bank to pay for her kids to go to college, would that have excused the crime?
Of course not but that's not the case here. She tried to work around the system and got caught. I'm not saying it's right for her to have done so but my definition of scumbag might fall under someone who had commit a more serious crime or hurt me personally. You know... Murder, arson, [censored], etc.... The lowest of the low.

Btw, her kids are in middle school. I'm sure they'd be more than understanding that mommy went to jail for a few days for trying to put them in a good school even though it was done wrongfully.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nebula91 said:
Of course not but that's not the case here. She tried to work around the system and got caught. I'm not saying it's right for her to have done so but my definition of scumbag might fall under someone who had commit a more serious crime or hurt me personally. You know... Murder, arson, [censored], etc.... The lowest of the low.

Btw, her kids are in middle school. I'm sure they'd be more than understanding that mommy went to jail for a few days for trying to put them in a good school even though it was done wrongfully.

How is it not the case here, stealing is stealing, and we aren't talking pocket change. She effectively stole thousands of dollars (that she was billed for, and she fought tooth and nail).

So what are you saying is an acceptable amount to steal, for the sake of her children?

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
Fear Zoa said:
Thats messed up....we do this all the time in the city because city schools are shit.....and the county schools are more tame....

Oh, the "I did it too, that makes it okay" excuse. Well played.
Never said its was okay....just said I don't see anything wrong with it personally.....I mean if i did Id be a hypocrite....
I'm definitely a bit sympathetic towards the situation though......

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
nebula91 said:

How is it not the case here, stealing is stealing, and we aren't talking pocket change. She effectively stole thousands of dollars (that she was billed for, and she fought tooth and nail).

So what are you saying is an acceptable amount to steal, for the sake of her children?
I don't think she stole anything. If you wanna talk tax evasion, go look into large corporations and corrupt politicians. What this woman evaded is a molecule of a drop of water in a bucket. It may not be right, but the law abiding citizens are the ones who suffer. I agree with what she was trying to do, but the way she did it, she just royally fucked herself over. She spent money to get a teaching degree, and even one felony will prevent you from ever teaching.

Besides, the tax money the school spent to prove her fraudulence was possibly double what they stood to lose over one or two years. Money the government took from every day citizens and used irresponsibly.

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple solution to anyone's problem with crime ridden and underperforming schools: VOUCHERS!
My god! If we are paying taxes to get a child educated even if we have no children, then at least let the parents decide where to send their child with a voucher. Public education has always been complete bullshit. I learned more in college than I ever did in public schools. Wonder why? I paid for a decent education! This is a damned problem that won't ever fix itself so allowing people to decide where that money should go and to better teachers (not just all day babysitters) will solve that issue. /end rant

Anyways, yeah, she did commit a crime and was punished accordlingly. I think simply allowing her not to be a teacher in the state of Ohio anyways would have been punishment enough though.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I don't get the American school system.

kai445 said:
She payed taxes to one locality, then took advantage of another.Wait, so public schools are funded locally and not on a state (or even federal) level? Yet education "standards" are set and regulated on a federal level?

QUOTE(kai445 @ Mar 7 2011, 09:51 PM) How is it not the case here, stealing is stealing, and we aren't talking pocket change. She effectively stole thousands of dollars...
Didn't she pay taxes? Did she claim tax exemption on some ground or other? Or are public services really funded locally, down to city block level?

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Argentum Vir said:
I don't think she stole anything. If you wanna talk tax evasion, go look into large corporations and corrupt politicians. What this woman evaded is a molecule of a drop of water in a bucket. It may not be right, but the law abiding citizens are the ones who suffer. I agree with what she was trying to do, but the way she did it, she just royally fucked herself over. She spent money to get a teaching degree, and even one felony will prevent you from ever teaching.

Besides, the tax money the school spent to prove her fraudulence was possibly double what they stood to lose over one or two years. Money the government took from every day citizens and used irresponsibly.

So your argument is:
1. She didn't steal anything.
2. Large corporations and corrupt politicians evade taxes, so we shouldn't care about her.
3. She did steal, but it wasn't much.
4. It isn't right, and she hurt law abiding citizens. (?)
5. You think what she did was okay, but how she did it was wrong.

Have you considered being a political consultant? Or maybe becoming a television personality on Fox?

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
nebula91 said:

It's not the case because she didn't run into a damn bank and effectively steal tons of money. She found a back door and was caught after opening it while also avoiding payment to the schools (If she even had any payments to make or whatever issue with money you're speaking of).... I just have a problem with you judging someone in that manner. She's even being penalized for it but still this mother trying to do something good for her kids is considered a "scumbag".

They spent $6,000 of their own money to investigate while this wasn't even the first family to be caught in the district but yet they make an example of this woman and her kids and none of the others which just goes to show she was practically unlucky in this entire situation. Sure you can walk up to the School Board and have your voice put out there but in some places I'm more than certain it gets nowhere. Playing things legit all the time is good but at the same time doesn't help your situation at all.

In the article some says "So, would you rather ‘break the law’ and send your child to a better school, or send them to school and not know whether they are going to come home safely or not?" It's all a matter on how you see things.

My only gripe was you specifically calling this one mother that... What she did was wrong and she got in trouble for it.
I'd take it anyone who does something unlawfully is a scumbag, no? I'll assume it's including every pirate of this site also.

QUOTE(Fear Zoa @ Mar 7 2011, 04:04 PM)
Never said its was okay....just said I don't see anything wrong with it personally.....I mean if i did Id be a hypocrite....
I'm definitely a bit sympathetic towards the situation though......
^This.

Try to lighten up, bro.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
Argentum Vir said:

So your argument is:
2. Large corporations and corrupt politicians evade taxes, so we shouldn't care about her.

Have you considered being a political consultant? Or maybe becoming a television personality on Fox?
The capitalist system and its assault on public education in the name of corporate interests is far more at fault than the actions of this woman. And just for clarification, it is highly likely that Fox news would end up taking your position than Argentum's.

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
Wait, so public schools are funded locally and not on a state (or even federal) level? Yet education "standards" are set and regulated on a federal level?
The schools are funded here are by property taxes. So, to keep this brief, poor neighborhoods with low property value thus will have lower property taxes = higher crime areas. Affluent, rich, white (prove me wrong anyone I dare you!) neighborhoods have higher property value thus they pay higher taxes = better schools. That is why schools are districted. It is still segragation just hidden to make us all feel better.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kai445 said:
Argentum Vir said:

So your argument is:

Hey man, I'm just saying we have bigger problems than some soccer mom switching her kids to another district fraudulently. What I meant by 'anything' is very little. When the school used potentially double the funds to sniff her out, I have a problem with that. I mean what the fuck. If schools did this every time there was suspicion, they would be bankrupt. This is the problem I have with paying taxes to incompetent money handling politicians. There is a reason my state is one of the only debt free entity of the US.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBQPTEKWcg&pp=ygUTc21hcnQgY2FyIGhheWFidXNhIA%3D%3D