More Dragon Quest News- Builders and Rumors of DQ11

dqb_logo-ds1-670x386-constrain.png

A friend tipped me off to a new DQ title this morning titled Dragon Quest Builders. The website is completely bare bones with a single picture.
download.png
So this is how they get me to finally play goddam minecraft.
OP
Basically, all I can say about it is that it looks like a Dragon Quest version of Minecraft. It is being called a block-make RPG. I get the block make part, but how does RPG fit into that? "Builders" is set in Alefgard. For you who might be new to the series, that is the continent that the original took place on. Forbes, who wrote something up for this already, has an interesting insight:

As someone that has played a lot of Minecraft and Dragon Quest over the years, I don’t mind that the latter is borrowing from the former. I just wish it was less blatant and more imaginative. This reeks of executive level laziness and that rubs me up the wrong way.

And that kinda hits the nail on the head for me. I dont think this game has much of a chance outside of japan, so I am hoping there isnt much for dialogue or menus. There isnt much else to say about it. The website shows the PS4, PS3, and Vita logos at the bottom of the site, so I can assume that those are the target platforms for this release. Whether is will come over to the US? Who knows. But at least the Sony platforms are region free (or at least kinda, I'm looking at you, Vita).

EDIT 1: More details
Dragon-Quest-Builders-Scan_07-09-15.jpg

(taken directly from http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-builders-details-protagonist-story-gameplay) :

Story

In the distant past there was a terrible battle between men and monsters. There was a hero, who was a central figure on the human side, who fell into the Dragonlord’s trap and was never heard from again. Having lost their mainstay, the humans were driven from the land in which they lived in this dark world, and their numbers decreased by the day. But time flows forward and our story begins when a young person appears in this ruined world ruled by the Dragonlord.

Characters

• Protagonist – A hero (boy or girl) that possesses the special ability to create items from all things. Designed by Akira Toriyama.
  • Dragonlord – An evil sovereign who has been ruling the world for the long years since the humans lost their hero.
Gameplay

In the beginning, the world is empty. Players are tasked with creating items, towns, and castles, which they can do by collecting materials from all around the world. You can also battle monsters.

Yuji Horii Comment

Dragon Quest Builders is a completely new block-making RPG where players must recapture and restore the land of Alefgard after it’s destroyed by the Dragonlord. The vast world of Alefgard is expressed through blocks, which players can freely create, destroy, and remodel as if they’re in a sandbox or playing with building blocks. Please try to create an innovative Alefgard!”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-q...rotagonist-story-gameplay#7WTGbbT5RpIGzoDy.99

:arrow: Official Dragon Quest Builders Website

And while im here, Dragon Quest XI will be an offline home console RPG. None of that DQ X MMO BS. Horii says that XI will feature turn based combat, going back to the DQ roots. Whether we as English speakers will get this is anyones guess. What console? I would hazard a guess it might be PS4 at the very least. I am glad to hear that Square is interested in bringing titles over to us in the states. With all this DQ news lately, I have no idea what to do with myself!

The best I have for a source is IGN, and I feel bad about that.
:arrow: Dragon Quest XI News at IGN

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They really need to sell/give the monster game title rights to someone who will actually do something with them...
\
Like me, you, VMM, and SOuiment (from Dragons Den who worked on that did the DGMJ2P patch). :P But seriously, I wish there was a company they could just hand off the games to. I am ok with shitty levels of translation too (I mean thats just me lol).

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong there are DQ titles I enjoy like DQ4,5,8 but I like the monster titles more but thats me and for the record I never played minecraft either...

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
As I'm making the rounds for all the DQ related things, I thought I'd toss in the Builders trailer here. It's honestly looking like a really neat game, and the increasingly obvious lack of text is convincing me all the more that this is probably going to come west.

Reactions: BORTZ

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that actually looks like a lot of fun. If this is the only DQ title we get out from this latest batch of updates... well I wont be the happiest camper, but I wouldn't be too disappointed. I'll still play it.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I like what they did with DQ11. Hopefully they are going to localize it now, and DQX too since it's on PS4 now.
I don't even know what they're doing with DQX anymore. As far as I can tell, they're trying their damndest to keep the userbase alive and are having a really hard time managing it, hence port after port after port. I still don't see it getting localized, personally. I doubt the cost of localizing and getting/maintaining servers for other regions could be justified. The continuous costs associated with an MMO are probably the biggest thing holding back a western release. SE has no guarantee that it won't seriously blow up in their faces, and honestly, I'd rather they skip it due to the likelihood that it wouldn't work out well. I'd hate to see the flow of DQ games to the west get even more damaged because of a poorly performing release from the numbered games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: possibly. It's dry cereal