Hacking [Monster Hunter 4 - Online] 3DSLink vs. Gateway 3DS

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Good afternoon, just a few questions if you have the time to answer. I am mostly interested in purchasing a 3DS flash cart in order to play the Japanese version of Monster Hunter 4 online with friends. I do have a 4.5 FW 3DS so I am ready to go. I would like to know:

1. Is the 3DSLink already working with MH4 and can you get online in-game even though it's Japanese region?
2. Should I wait for Gateway 3DS to release v2.0 software instead? I know they have MH4 working, but again not sure about online.
3. Is 3DSLink essentially the same as Gateway only cheaper? Do you recommend one over the other?
4. How long is shipping for the flash carts usually? (From China?)

Thank you!
Online doesn't work with the Gateway yet and there is no ETA on when they will add support for it. They haven't shown anything like that yet.
The same thing applies for the other 3DS mode carts.
The 3DSLink is very similar, but it remains to be seen if they will support the cart well enough to make it as good as the Gateway. As of right now, they both have the same feature set.
Shipping from China is usually between 1-3 weeks for me, usually somewhere in the middle. No idea if shipping times are similar to US.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I suppose we'll have to wait until 2.0, unless someone has tested MH3U on a different flash cart like 3DSLink.

MH3U does not have online play too. The game itself doesn't have online only local.

Geez, search more before you ask next time

dgcool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fantastic! I think I might just need to be able to play LAN/adhoc and not online after all anyway. I have seen some video proof of MH4 working on Gateway, thus I assume it will also work on the R4 and Link? Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
That's odd, they have eShop working and yet you can't play online in-game? Has anyone tested it? Does LAN work?

Just because you get internet access and can buy games from Steam, it doesn't mean that your cracked Steam games can play online via Steam. You see what I mean here?

Reactions: kyogre123

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I think it's probably safe to stay offline (at least online gaming) if Gateway firmware 2.0 will allow online play.

We just don't know if nintendo will be able to detect if the game is running within the emulated NAND which is within the very well documented and no doubt researched much by nintendo, MSET exploit..... You could get a Ban.

Don't think this couldn't happen, remember Microsoft could detect if people were running modified firmware within the freaking DVD drives of xbox360s back in the day.....

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just because you get internet access and can buy games from Steam, it doesn't mean that your cracked Steam games can play online via Steam. You see what I mean here?
Actually, a lot of cracked steam games work on steam and you're able to play with people who bought legit copies. That was the case with L4D, a game released by valve itself. I played with my friends with a pirated copy. There is even a cracked steam client that allows you to play co-op with other users using the steam service itself. Valve doesn't really give much of a fuck to fight the pirates.

Besides, every MH game to date has been using peer2peer for online, even the MMO one (despite it requiring you to maintain login, but the connection between players, while on quest, is still based around the first one who enters the map and sends the data to other hunters about the monster synchronization etc.) meaning that there aren't actual dedicated, self-running servers.

There is no reason to believe that, if you are able to log into the eshop, you won't be able to play MH online.

Their online infrastructure of every game is essentially like ad-hoc on the PS3, it's peer2peer. The fact that it requires a login, for PSN, is a completely different check. Does the 3DS require authentication with a personal account, similar to PSN or XBL? I don't have the system yet.

There is also a PC program, I believe its name is MH tunnel, that makes it possible to play online MH titles using only the PSP, not having to go through PS3, PSN and adhoc. So, in a vaguely similar manner to programs like instacheck for pokemon, it's theoretically possible to create an application that emulates a peer2peer connection and creates some sort of a hub for players to join and play together.

In short, I'm pretty sure that in some way or another it will be possible to play MH4 online.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Just because you get internet access and can buy games from Steam, it doesn't mean that your cracked Steam games can play online via Steam.
"Doesn't mean" as in "not necessary" or "does not equal".

Gateway doesn't support online features (for ROMs) at the moment since Nintendo is detecting "something wrong" with the gamecart used while trying to connect to the servers; on the other hand, Spotpass features are likely fully supported.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah but going by the footage of the competitor, they claim it's going to be possible to acces the eshop. I doubt that's fake, or at least, that it has zero basis for validity or a work-in-progress future feature, so it's very likely (guaranteed, I'd say) that gateway will also implement the same functionality if not do it faster going by their track record.

Perhaps the whole new emunand thing, plus constant updating from the flashcart manufacturers playing catch-up trying to bypass new FW updates, will make online work. I'm not really knowledgeable at all on the technical side of things and I just go by user experience from other hacked devices. For example, it is possible to play online using a custom firmware PS3. I believe that is called spoofing. Every time sony released a new firmware bypassing this, hackers released a fix to bypass it.

But then again, the fact that the 3ds is not fully hacked and it's just an exploit might not make this possible. At the very least, is it safe to assume that MH4 will be able to get a fan-translation in english with the future flashcarts updates? That would be sweet.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah but going by the footage of the competitor, they claim it's going to be possible to acces the eshop. I doubt that's fake, or at least, that it has zero basis for validity or a work-in-progress future feature, so it's very likely (guaranteed, I'd say) that gateway will also implement the same functionality if not do it faster going by their track record.

Perhaps the whole new emunand thing, plus constant updating from the flashcart manufacturers playing catch-up trying to bypass new FW updates, will make online work. I'm not really knowledgeable at all on the technical side of things and I just go by user experience from other hacked devices. For example, it is possible to play online using a custom firmware PS3. I believe that is called spoofing. Every time sony released a new firmware bypassing this, hackers released a fix to bypass it.

But then again, the fact that the 3ds is not fully hacked and it's just an exploit might not make this possible. At the very least, is it safe to assume that MH4 will be able to get a fan-translation in english with the future flashcarts updates? That would be sweet.

OK, I think you are really confused, and seriously, talking about a fan translation of a 3DS game?

This is how it works at the moment:

Internet is not blocked at all while using the GW's hack.
A ROM game booted via GW's red cart also works as it normally would while playing offline.
Spotpass features for any ROM games (which use internet connection) work as they would normally.
HOWEVER, if you attempt to to play via online multiplayer or download something through DLC, you'll get an error code. This error code is related to the cart itself, that's why they can use the eShop, because the eShop doesn't care about the game you have inserted on the gamecart slot.

I hope I was clear this time.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's probably safe to stay offline (at least online gaming) if Gateway firmware 2.0 will allow online play.

We just don't know if nintendo will be able to detect if the game is running within the emulated NAND which is within the very well documented and no doubt researched much by nintendo, MSET exploit..... You could get a Ban.

Don't think this couldn't happen, remember Microsoft could detect if people were running modified firmware within the freaking DVD drives of xbox360s back in the day.....
Not only that, but they released a dashboard update that literally burned out fuses on the motherboard to prevent jtag and downgrading from taking place

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OK, I think you are really confused, and seriously, talking about a fan translation of a 3DS game?

This is how it works at the moment:

Internet is not blocked at all while using the GW's hack.
A ROM game booted via GW's red cart also works as it normally would while playing offline.
Spotpass features for any ROM games (which use internet connection) work as they would normally.
HOWEVER, if you attempt to to play via online multiplayer or download something through DLC, you'll get an error code. This error code is related to the cart itself, that's why they can use the eShop, because the eShop doesn't care about the game you have inserted on the gamecart slot.

I hope I was clear this time.

I was talking about the future, post 2.0 and whatever comes next. I'm not talking about right now.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was talking about the future, post 2.0 and whatever comes next. I'm not talking about right now.

About realistic things: They said they will work on supporting online after getting Card2 games and multiROM support done.

As for the rest of what you said, it would be easier to get MH4 localised than to get the ecryption keys for games and the knowledge to do a fan translation.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
About realistic things: They said they will work on supporting online after getting Card2 games and multiROM support done.

As for the rest of what you said, it would be easier to get MH4 localised than to get the ecryption keys for games and the knowledge to do a fan translation.

Didn't Smealum change the encounter data to get the pokemon he wanted? I take it that isn't comparable to changing dialogue text?

dgcool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since many people seem knowledgeable, will Monster Hunter 4 and similar games work in LAN/adhoc (same room as friends)? Thanks.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Didn't Smealum change the encounter data to get the pokemon he wanted? I take it that isn't comparable to changing dialogue text?

No, seriously, no.

Since many people seem knowledgeable, will Monster Hunter 4 and similar games work in LAN/adhoc (same room as friends)? Thanks.

Isn't that information on the reviews of the game? I'm not sure what are you asking exactly.

dgcool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, seriously, no.

Isn't that information on the reviews of the game? I'm not sure what are you asking exactly.

Sorry, I mean will Gateway allow LAN gaming for the 3ds even if you can't get online? Monster Hunter has always been able to play local normally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k