Mods / Admins...

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a huge favor to ask. Can we please have a PURELY Dev section for the Wii U? Why?

1. When Wii U exploit was first found, it was in no way ready for the avg user. Yet everyone who had no business dealing with it immediately flooded the forums with questions, and hit everyone involved with PM's..

2. Now exploit(s) are usable. And it gets worse, everyone and their cousins hamster want help with an exploit that loads "backups", to a 21-22mb area?

3. My Opinion: None of this stuff is actually ready for prime time. The landing zone for code exec in the current exploit has everyone shrinking games down, decompressing RPX/RPL's and performing a lot of work that if people were given some time, we will have a different code execution area, possibly a custom FW and other nice things..

No it shouldn't be blocked to avg users, but just monitored so no one has to answer how to get a game to work, or someone wants to compile something that has nothing to do with the actual work of making things nicer -- then a mod can remove it, and because it's separated, and called a DEV FORUM, maybe people will be less likely to ask silly questions.

Forums now, have a lot of info in them... that CANNOT be found easily because of 25 pages of knowledge is buried by 320 posts of non sense..

I know many have asked, not sure what the official reason for not doing it is, but this would be nice.

Last edited by mixelpixx,

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has worked on many other forums for Satellite TV, for Cable modems, for certain game consoles, etc. It's great to have it open to everyone, but I would even say with some of the tools available people are getting close to being able to break sh*t as well. Also why make it so g'darn easy for someone who can send console updates to your unit to see everything you are doing, and sadly that the fact remains that 90% of people's excitement about a hack... is running games. Not that I care what people do with it, but why not wait till all the bugs can be worked out. In just about 2 weeks time the Wii U has been blown wide open. Why not let people work, and have some faith that those doing so are actually working with the collective intent of making a wasted console into something useful.

It adds a layer of semi-liability protection. If someone posts something in the open forum, for Wii U Hacking, great. If it's coded poorly, or a mistake is made, what if someone hard bricks a console? What if 50 people hard brick a console? I would certainly feel responsible if it were my code or program posted that did that. If it was posted in a Dev Forum (which you have to actively select going to) and had the caveat already of being in the Dev section, I wouldn't feel bad in the slightest. I would say "lesson learned" to anyone who just started running unknown code on their unit. Right now, you could create an RPX that would format / erase the NAND -- someone else could do it by not knowing wtf they are doing, by mistake. That may be unlikely, but you don't know.

The separation may be as simple as another click from the Wii U Hacking forum into the DEV Sub forum, and then you can still see and access everything -- but hopefully Mods/Admins & Devs with have ability to police the sub forum. People do actually learn, yes you will have the occasional "I can't find the torrent for SuperDonkekSmash Pony Ride Extreme".. but people would quickly discover those posts don't go there.

It's Sunday, I will try to make my case, then when you guys say NO I'll be quiet about it for another couple months.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. I agree with dave. Nice idea, but seems like barking up the wrong tree. Only way a "dev forum" would work is if normals can't use it. Viewing maybe, it just floods the other sections with questions instead, though. I get what you're saying, but my vote is nah.

Reactions: TehCupcakes

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For a few years I was a mod over on a rival site and we tried that over there and it ended up a total disaster because people with questions went to the development section because they thought it was better to go straight to the developers to ask questions which ended up with us having a number of pissed of devs. So no gbatemp I would strongly recommend against this.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Over at Project Pokémon, we have [ROM/RAM/Save] Reasearch and Development forums, which are distinct from the [ROM/RAM/Save] Editing Help forums.
The R&D forums are for posting, well, research and development, including posting tools.
Occasionally we'll get someone who posts in the wrong section, probably because the [ROM/RAM/Save] Editing Help forums are listed first.

If GBAtemp does something similar, it might work. I would say that if anyone posts in the wrong place, the posts could be deleted, but this place has more traffic than PP, so I don't really know how regularly posts are deleted for being off-topic. In the end, it should be up to the admins/moderators here, as they're the ones who will have to deal with posts posted in the wrong place.

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
open for everyone = not serving the purpose
you'll always have those who'll go to the dev section for answers, assuming that's where they'll get best answer, and in their place that's what I would do in some cases too ^^.

Also if you close it, it also defeats the other purpose of attracting more people who can contribute to the scene.

If some separation can be done in this forum, I would vote for a separate section for Wii U and vWii.

Reactions: EclipseSin

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
Why not let people work, and have some faith that those doing so are actually working with the collective intent of making a wasted console into something useful.
They currently can't work because they don't have a dev forum? What about all the progress that's been made already?

It adds a layer of semi-liability protection. If someone posts something in the open forum, for Wii U Hacking, great. If it's coded poorly, or a mistake is made, what if someone hard bricks a console? What if 50 people hard brick a console? I would certainly feel responsible if it were my code or program posted that did that. If it was posted in a Dev Forum (which you have to actively select going to) and had the caveat already of being in the Dev section, I wouldn't feel bad in the slightest. I would say "lesson learned" to anyone who just started running unknown code on their unit.
What you are saying already applies to this forum. This is a dev forum.

The separation may be as simple as another click from the Wii U Hacking forum into the DEV Sub forum, and then you can still see and access everything -- but hopefully Mods/Admins & Devs with have ability to police the sub forum.
Like has already been said, people will just post their inane questions there instead. The mods already have too much work on their hands.

People do actually learn, yes you will have the occasional "I can't find the torrent for SuperDonkekSmash Pony Ride Extreme".. but people would quickly discover those posts don't go there.
No. No, they wouldn't. I can't believe you're even entertaining this notion.

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
maybe just sticky revelant posts with no reply option for non-mods/devs?

I would also sticky some "fake threads" like "how to run roms on wiiu" ...
so people would been "catched" before they post their own "how to run pirated games on wiiu" thread

wrinting that in faq threads did not work as i see ... :)
banning or deleting post will not work also since there would no "history" ...

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
you are attempting to apply a technological solution to a behavioral problem...
yes and no
most of web technologic solutions are written to "guide" or forward a human behaviour in a way
expecially mobile and social technologies are designed and developed around the customer, also trying to take in account his "human" behaviour. and sometimes also his "animal" behaviour ... (red flashing buttons everywhere XD)
just think about anti-bulling "technologies" by companies like Facebook ...
/OT

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just lol this whole post. There is in fact already a "dev" section. (It's called an IRC channel)
Those attempting to further develop something are strongly encouraged to run on IRC or equivalent until their program is ready for testing to the public. So when you throw a program/exploit out to the public it is expected to get questions. (some not even related to the issues at hand)
And with all web forums it is expected that people will post dumb things just to be funny. (we all have been guilty of it at times)
If you are asking for this section on this forum then you obviously aren't invited on IRC. If this is the case then just start your own room and get those you want to assist to join with you. It is way easier to hide what is going on while in development by not posting on a public forum until it is mostly complete. Chill out man, web forums were never made to have hidden content on them. If you need assistance in setting up a simple IRC I will help you, but really you can google it and it takes seconds.

Reactions: looseless

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol