Hardware GBA Modded GBA SP, rebooting & freezing. Power draw/battery issue? help

niomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and new to understanding how electronics and mods work, thanks for your patience.

At the beginning of the pandemic I bought a modded GBA SP from an individual's online listing. It has a Funny Playing v2 screen kit. The 1st rechargeable battery in nintendo's intended battery compartment's replaced. Additionally, there's also 2 more batteries behind the screen. I understand the screen kit with an everdrive x5 mini is a hungry combo, so I am glad to have many batteries.

When I received the GBA and an everdrive separately, I played *lots* of Pokemon pinball advance. For years I played it often with no problem. I probably only put the GBA down for maybe 6 months at most before a few weeks ago I decided to try Mother 3.

Playing Mother 3, it started rebooting and once froze (still image, no input). Then I could restart mostly and continue playing. At first I thought it was the ROM. Until on one occasion it rebooted constantly so continued play was quite impossible. I realized the problem is getting worse.

Then I tried Pokemon Pinball again, but now the system always reboots as soon as I choose the table. I do not get to launch the ball. I couldn't hope to try play thru with interruptions as I do with Mother 3. I started to suspect a power draw issue.

With 3 batteries I ran the system with the GBA test cart ROM for 2:24 hours before it rebooted itself.

Then took out the 1st battery in the battery compartment, as it's easiest to remove. Without the 1st battery, I tested the SP with only 2 new batteries behind the screen.

With 2 batteries only, test ROM ran for 4:16 before shutting down instead of rebooting. This time I tracked the red light, which started shining solid at 2:11.

Then I recharged. With only 2 batteries behind the SP's screen, I was also able to complete an entire pokemon pinball game.

It seems stable without running the 1st battery. I am hoping if I replaced the 1st battery, this will solve the problem? If so, which battery should I choose? If not, what else could be the problem?

Last edited by niomi,

moon_rabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
A reboot may be related to a dirty power switch.
Of course, a new battery is better than an old battery.
Even new batteries can be of crappy quality, so be careful.
When storing for a long period of time, charge the battery to about 60%.

GBA SP has electrolytic capacitor only in the audio circuit.
So, power issues are most likely battery related.

Reactions: niomi

niomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A reboot may be related to a dirty power switch.
Of course, a new battery is better than an old battery.
Even new batteries can be of crappy quality, so be careful.
When storing for a long period of time, charge the battery to about 60%.

GBA SP has electrolytic capacitor only in the audio circuit.
So, power issues are most likely battery related.
I'll give the power switch special attention, thank you. I am planning to drop in MSE10001 from batteriesplus.

niomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you post pictures of the configuration? I've never heard of gba 3 battery mod.
PXL_20220302_184046230.jpg

Here are the two other batteries behind the screen; The 1st battery is mahko mod (or attached to a mahko PCB, at least)
Before I got this one I'd never heard of a 3 battery mod either.

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 346688
Here are the two other batteries behind the screen; The 1st battery is mahko mod (or attached to a mahko PCB, at least)
Before I got this one I'd never heard of a 3 battery mod either.
What the hell.... that's wild that it even works, letalone you purchased it online. I'm very curious what the wire setup is like now, because you can't just hookup multiple batteries to the same ports and expect the system to draw from them equally. And that little half one is new to me too. Sorry I can't help in troubleshooting but I want to know so much more about this project.

niomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the hell.... that's wild that it even works, letalone you purchased it online. I'm very curious what the wire setup is like now, because you can't just hookup multiple batteries to the same ports and expect the system to draw from them equally. And that little half one is new to me too. Sorry I can't help in troubleshooting but I want to know so much more about this project.
what I could gather from looking at it, is the 2 screen batteries have wires strung thru the hinge, are attached to a part on the same side of the PCB that faces the player while they are holding the device, at approximately the same position of the battery contacts for the 1st battery but on the opposite side of the board.
I remembered wrongly-- the wires attach to the battery contacts (or behind the battery contacts? LMK if I am describing correctly), which is much easier to get a picture of.
PXL_20230111_020857223~2.jpg

Last edited by niomi,

moon_rabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Parallel use of lithium-ion batteries can be dangerous.
I recommend using one.
If it is to be done in parallel, the same capacity, characteristics and protection circuit must be properly configured.

niomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had planned to get a new battery, but, when I put my GBA back together with all the batteries... it just worked. I didn't feel confident, but it's been running as normal for about a week now. I don't know what I did right, but I'm guessing maybe some dirt got shaken out of the cart reader, or the battery benefited from being re-seated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto