Mmm! That's some good Pi! GBAtemp Raspberry Pi contest!

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setting up a home system for the family to watch their old home movies the house over. Right now the big hold up is trying to find a system to do it for them. So I'm going to use it to steram the movies I've been converting for a really long time. Especially since the power bills here have gone from "oy hat's expensive" to "holy mother of crap way to screw everyone." It'd be a nice option.

Other than atm, it's that plus also backing up all of their pictures/videos from their phones/cameras so incase they break they won't lose them. That and a caching proxy, I know I am not that creative but it's what I got in my mind right now.

P.S. covering old vhs tapes sure takes a long time.

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
I would make a synthesizer for my brother since he's always wanted one, might even be a fun project. From what I've seen there's some guy who's well on his way to making a synthesizer possible on the raspberry pi.

It might be possible to make a synthesizer using parts of the MAME code for sound emulation.

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to try and use one to create a secure entry access system, eventually evolving into a smart home brain.

Using a web interface hosted on the Pi to provide access to mobile (phone/tablet) or other remote devices to be able to send a message to open various doors, authenticated via a secured certificate (SSL encrypted, or running an ssh implementation for secure transmission and authentication of the request to open the door). Then using RFID, or other mechanism as the entry point data retrieval at the physical doors that gets sent back to the Pi too. I'd use the Pi as the brain and storage/enrollment center for the digital keys, and as the web interface/host for requests from mobile devices. It'd process the requests then provide output to trigger voltage actuators for the door latches. I know that systems like this exist (but then again so do web servers and media servers).

One point control for various door latches and entry points. Then eventually expand that out to more of a smart home appliance that could trigger the activation/deactivation of other devices through the remote interface, or based on a card swipe at one of the physical sensors.... Get home, swipe a card and have multiple lamps turn on while the door unlocks, or send a message when you are on your way home and have the heat turned up so the house is warm when you get home.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I would attach a 3G dongle to it, wire it to a bomb and set up a website with a big red button.
I would put it in a hospital and post a live stream of it and explain the situation to 4chan, posting the website and seeing who's mad enough to press the button (It will be pressed 2 seconds after posting)

Reactions: filfat

frankfuter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I'd make a arcade cabinet based on Raspberry PI.
Install a linux distribution and tons of emulators (metal slug !).

Not too big LCD screen + raspberry pi + 2 x (joystick and buttons connected to rasp. pi via dual strike) + nice speakers.

My dream :rolleyes:

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
This thread is full of nice (Pi as a media player) ideas.:O
If I were to make something useful of it, I'd probably buy 4-5 Raspberry Pis and fulfill the purpose for which it was originally for.
Teach CODING! You know in India, poverty and all, I think I'm better off teaching coding to the not-so-fortunate neighborhood kids.
Since a RPi is low cost, and has high efficiency and would work with any TV, so I think this would be a good use of a RPi. Maybe teaching coding
could at least help in improving peoples conditions :/
(And for me? A good nights' sleep:grog: )

Reactions: bkifft and Coto

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
What I would do:

1. Install Linux distribution
  2. Costumize linux with some nice splash screen and boot menu
  3. Install All old school emulators known to run on the specs
  4. Insert SD card with ROMS
  5. Plug in 2 controllers
  6. Put everything in a very small casing
  7. Put a nice sticker on it with a cool name
  8. Connect to TV
  9. Call my 2 KIDS and give them the 2 controllers
  10. Watch them play Pong with tears in my eyes and memories of the good old days (80's).
:) There are millions of good and inovative ways to use a PI, however for me nothing will ever beat passing the feeling (I think folks on this forum arround my age will know what i'm talking about) of playing those games from that startet it all :)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If I were to make something useful of it, I'd probably buy 4-5 Raspberry Pis and fulfill the purpose for which it was originally for.
Teach CODING!
Have you seen the Ka-Pi project? You can put a large chunk (about 3,000 videos) of Khan Academy lectures on a 16GB SD card and turn the Raspberry Pi into either a video server (for local networks) or video player (plug into a TV and play), depending on how you configure it. And you can still use it to teach coding ^_^

I would turn the Pi into an online radio player with an alarm clock feature. I also have a few hundred LEDs (formerly Christmas lights) and I would connect them to the Pi and make them programmable. Having them light up gradually would be part of the alarm clock wakeup thingy. I would keep them all on separate wires so I could rearrange them into shapes, like a glowy sphere thing, or a programmable lightbox thing for macro photography (yes I know they're not really bright enough for that but a guy can dream :ha: ), or a starry sky pattern on the wall, or tiny spotlights for LEGO minifigs, or a grid to use as a display and display the time like this. And eventually I would hook up a microphone, run a tiny AI routine like these guys and have the LEDs display the face :)

EDIT:

sm8VzSR.gif

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A pocket computer. Using a power bank, a car backup screen, earbuds, wifi usb adapter, and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.
It would also be for portable gaming, too.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to install the Pi into an old NDs PHAT case, and create the proper ports where needed, as well as make other needed adjutments.. It would be a portable computer (for me to study and learn Linux on, complete with a screen in the upper part of the NDS Phat. A portable computer that I can say I built. From there I would like to try several of the ideas that are available on youtube, for it's more specific use. Not vvery exciting to anyone else, but me. But there you have it.
Here's fingers crossed.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'd like to do is mount it to the back of my TV and use it as a central streaming hub, and retro emulation machine.

Basically, I'd like to give it a hard line to my internet and allow it to stream video and music to any machine over the internet.

Retroarch allows remote gaming via NetPlay, so in theory, I should be able to play my library from anywhere with a connection.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I use mine as a media player (raspbmc) whilst polling some temperature sensors in the background to monitor my turtle pond and output to cosm twitter and an xk3y remote.
Ive also ran the chip8 emu using the xk3y remote as input and screen that was fun for a short while, Its also fun just making them talk .
But using a Pi as a 3ds unbricker has to be the most awesome use of a Pi I have seen in awhile http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-3ds-unbricking-is-possible.361240/ since it makes the Pi a useful tool rather than a novelty toy.

ILOVETOPLAYNESGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, now that there seems to be unbricking code available for it, I would probably set it aside soley for unbricking 3ds consoles who had been corrupted via brick code.

Otherwise I would sit and stare at it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...