Mmm! That's some good Pi! GBAtemp Raspberry Pi contest!

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Might as well enter:

A surround system for a wireless speaker setup. Multiple Pis around the house with a speaker hooked up. Kinda like AirPlay with Airport Express/Extreme, but for a alot smaller price.
External backup "server" in a way an Apple TimeCapsule works. Not necessarily the most stable for backups, but a very cheap alternative for the expensive TimeCapsules or other alternatives.
Cliche is to actually hit it into a car (in this case, a pink tractor we reconstructed with a few friends for our student body at Uni. I'd post a picture, but the main site is DDoS'd at the moment for some reason). Add a nicely sized flash drive or possibly a small screen, 3G/WiFi and a keyboard for Spotify/similar use.
I would like to try emulation on it, but it is sort of limited in the hardware side. Otherwise Retroarch and the likes could bring interesting options (the size is minuscule, so it could basically fit anywhere).

So far quite creative solutions here. I can see good competition :P

RisnDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Get a Pi touchscreen.
2) Buy then tear apart one or two controllers.
3) Assemble the controllers on the sides of the Pi and Pi Touchscreen to make a Raspberry Pi based "GamePad" (like the Wii U's).
4) 3D print a nice case/enclosure for my new game console.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I use mine as a media player (raspbmc) whilst polling some temperature sensors in the background to monitor my turtle pond and output to cosm twitter and an xk3y remote.
Ive also ran the chip8 emu using the xk3y remote as input and screen that was fun for a short while, Its also fun just making them talk .
But using a Pi as a 3ds unbricker has to be the most awesome use of a Pi I have seen in awhile http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-3ds-unbricking-is-possible.361240/ since it makes the Pi a useful tool rather than a novelty toy.

No entry, just a reply (as it a) would be cheating as this contest is for planned projects and b) I already own a Pi armada):

The Raspberry Pi has always been a tool, albeit a universal tool without a single, tangible function. On the one hand that's bad ("what do you need a pi for" vs. "what do you need a hammer for"), on the other hand it opens room for imagination.
Quite a lot Pi owners play with this universal tool (which isn't such a strange thing to do, as some also like to juggle chainsaws) which is absolutely fine, as playing with something is often the first step towards learning about it.

The Pi is just a perfect mix of two worlds to tinker with: its a PC style computer as well as a microcontroller, so it can do nearly everything (or to be more precise one can make it do nearly everything) one wants it do. The sky is the limit (or isn't it?).

And while simply throwing XBMC on it is rather blend, using it at the same time as a sensor reader is nice. Forwarding the values to twitter? Fantastic. Try that with an appletv, applefanboys!

Reactions: shango46

pokefan92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would use it to make a low cost point of sale. It would be cheap,and would do his work very well. Just need to add a touch screen... and it's done! A perfect solution for this time, when money is something can't be wasted.

Also I would help people to get their 3ds unbricked, thanks to tempers work that made it possible.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Raspberry Pi Input playback device, for all of your TAS-ing needs.
This is what I would use one for, if I had one.

cozmosauce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would make some LED flashing/motion based signage with the GBATemp logo on it and/or I would make a TOR server to help people circumvent censorship.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
I would use it as a service community for unbricking 3ds consoles (thanks to bkifft for his code) here in mex, regular people dont know there's a solution, I would use it as a media center too and retro emulation (mostly arcade games with MAME).

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Congratulations Mr_Pichu :toot:

I would use it to make a low cost point of sale. It would be cheap,and would do his work very well. Just need to add a touch screen... and it's done! A perfect solution for this time, when money is something can't be wasted.
The problem is that screen modules cost so much on their own, it ends up being cheaper to just buy a tablet :(

Reactions: Mr_Pichu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom