Mmm! That's some good Pi! GBAtemp Raspberry Pi contest!

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would experiment with it, I've researched this thing many times and it always pulls in my interest cause I want to get into this kind of thing. xD I just never drop the cash on one, but yeah I think it would be fun to build up, learn to program for, and use in general once I get use to it. So just curiosity I'm sure others have a better use :3

Reactions: bkifft

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to let people know, contrary to popular believe. Android on the Raspberry Pi is NOT a viable option. Best bet for most (not all) users would be one of the XBMC distos or Raspbian (Debian for RPi)

Also, there are NO windows options.

How about Windows 3.0 ? :P

kenjixx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
i think i will use that pi for a file/entertainment server
download oldschool gaming entertainment all in one ftw

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Media centers, Android and other such uninspired high-intensity things aren't that viable unless you like running everything at low resolutions. As for a dedicated torrents box? Fun, but overrated - Be sure to lock it down before making it face the outside world, you only really need a few ports to be exposed for Torrenting (and optionally having a WebUI if you're using Transmission).

Merc, your idea is pretty sweet: Having to carry around change is a huge pain! Would be pretty sweet if you could get contactless payments working, for example using a kit like this.

My idea for a Raspberry Pi is simple: It runs a remote X window server, and VNC server, which a Nook Simple Touch GlowLight connects to with a VNC client, and the two work as an automatic daily planning calendar which integrates with Google Calender and iCal for reminders and events. The overview would also generate recommendations for services like Steam and Netflix, since I'm getting a bad case of Pirate's Syndrome with both.
(It'd also serve as a dedicated AirPlay host, since you can never have enough of those).

Reactions: Crusylicious

Crusylicious

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Media centers, Android and other such uninspired high-intensity things aren't that viable unless you like running everything at low resolutions.

The RPi is capable of 1080p streaming, however one may need to purchase additional codecs to play certain files as they are not included by default (to keep the price down).

Estarb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I would use it as a NAS to backup all my pictures and watch them on my TV !
Controlled by Putty, of course. Bash rules

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd use it to hack into the NSA :ph34r: (Please don't arrest me)

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
i would have it attached to my tv and have every emulator on there with all the roms so i was able to have it all located on one device and a kick ass GUI so you could have screenshots, details of each game and a preview of the game in play... its what everyone should have in their homes to teach every generation what classic games are all about

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Being an electrician , im always thinking of ideas around the house for effeciency and automation of domestic electrics. I always wanted to come up with a simple progressing to complex home automation , with a little property rewiring i wanted to add control over lighting and power etc using the GPIO pins on the Pi to create a local home automated system. And then to further develop it to become a remote server connected setup so i can control it from my phone etc etc. I have already partially rerouted my house wiring to allow for seperate room lighting and several seperate ring mains , I have integrated contactor control currently wired permanently switched . So i just need a control device to manage the contactor coil voltages and then set up a server . i figured the Pi would be ideal for this. Would be cool to win one , save a few .. why not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol. Have you heard about this?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.