Hardware MIND BLOWN! Maybe the Best Damn GC/Wii U controllers EVER!

goodbytes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On the Hori pad, you mean? Yeah, they are. That's actually a good thing if you want to use it for games like Zelda: OoT and MM on VC and other Wii games though, since L and R on a classic controller are generally used for default trigger like options, for some reason. And of course, you can remap the buttons in smash.

No, on the PDP review on youtube the guy says something about the LR ZLZR being on the wrong place or something? (assuming this was in comparison to the HORI which has them in the right place?) but yeah, i would definitely like the controller that is good for VC and GC/Wii games.. I do have the standard classic controller though definitely prefer the GC shape.

Let's say Amazon has an item of a value £35 then a supplier via Flubit will offer you for £29-30 making a save of £5-6 in total and the shipping's free. This is how I got my Bayonetta 2: Special Edition.

Cool, hopefully i'll get a response.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I think he's talking about the original Wii classic controller, not the Wii classic controller pro, which is what you seem to have.

As you can see from the image, the original Wii classic controller has the bumpers arranged all side by side, not stacked, like the pro. and the L/R buttons (the ones on the outside) indeed were true analog. The Pro removed the analog though because not a single game made use of it. I really wish they'd go back to analog, though.

Either way, that post was from June, long before these controllers released, so I'm not sure why you responded. :P Unfortunately, the PDP controllers have triggers that look and feel like analog triggers, but are actually digital triggers that don't register an input until you press all the way down, which is actually pretty annoying, especially for Smash.:hateit:

Mine are not analog. I bought my classic controllers (NOT pro) at Wii launch. No games I've played have ever had them act as analog triggers, they are more like L and R on a SNES pad; Full press, or no press.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The Original Wii Classic Controller does have analogue triggers but the layout is somewhat weird because it's all aligned next to each other rather than being shoulders and such.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No, on the PDP review on youtube the guy says something about the LR ZLZR being on the wrong place or something? (assuming this was in comparison to the HORI which has them in the right place?) but yeah, i would definitely like the controller that is good for VC and GC/Wii games.. I do have the standard classic controller though definitely prefer the GC shape.

It depends what you mean by "in the wrong place." L/R are mapped to the top bumpers, and zL/zR are mapped to the bottom triggers, same as the Classic Controller Pro. It's opposite from the GameCube controller (where L/R were the bottom triggers, and Z was a top bumper), but that's easily remedied with the button mapping options in Smash.

However, this might be a problem with VC games like Zelda: OoT and MM, where the L/R buttons (the top bumpers on the PDP pad) are uncomfortably used for functions that are mapped to the L/R triggers on a GameCube controller. For this reason, the Hori pad is a better option, since L/R and zL/zR are swapped, compared to the PDP pad. Hopefully N64 VC finally hits the Wii U eShop sometime soon, that way you can remap buttons to your liking.
Mine are not analog. I bought my classic controllers (NOT pro) at Wii launch. No games I've played have ever had them act as analog triggers, they are more like L and R on a SNES pad; Full press, or no press.

Yes they are analog. As I said, the analog wasn't utilized for any game, so the analog triggers were removed in the pro model. Source below.

"Analog shoulder buttons labeled 'L' and 'R'." -Wikipedia

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but I have two classic controllers, and there's no analog triggers on them at all. Just R and L shoulder buttons, and inner LZ and RZ buttons more towards the top.

Wii Classic controllers have analog triggers, not classic controller pros. look at the below image, the controller on the top has analog triggers, the one on the bottom does not:

wii-classic-versus-pro-thumb-300x438-80234.jpg

Don't believe me? Play Mario Sunshine via Nintendont with both controllers, the top controller works properly for F.L.U.D.D. the bottom controller will not work properly (though there is the work around of holding LZ while you hit R or whatever the combo is). I've done this and can verify, original classic controllers have analog triggers, pros do not.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Wii Classic controllers have analog triggers, not classic controller pros. look at the below image, the controller on the top has analog triggers, the one on the bottom does not:

wii-classic-versus-pro-thumb-300x438-80234.jpg

Don't believe me? Play Mario Sunshine via Nintendont with both controllers, the top controller works properly for F.L.U.D.D. the bottom controller will not work properly (though there is the work around of holding LZ while you hit R or whatever the combo is). I've done this and can verify, original classic controllers have analog triggers, pros do not.

It beats me as to why Nintendo downgraded from analogue triggers to digital triggers since they're infinitely inferior and in no way was that an improvement. Evolve Nintendo!

If the Wii U Pro Controller had analogue triggers I'd bet you that I'd use it for all my Wii U gaming sessions but it doesn't and so since it was pretty much the same as the GamePad, I got used to the GamePad even though I have to recharge often enough (not really a prob as I just pop in the cable and done).

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that the PDP controllers have the FULL Analog spring but the triggers are digital. WTF?! I was thinking that they would at least push the buttons up or cut the button by half but...really? REALLY?

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that the PDP controllers have the FULL Analog spring but the triggers are digital. WTF?! I was thinking that they would at least push the buttons up or cut the button by half but...really? REALLY?
Yep. It's the one major downfall of what would otherwise be a perfect controller.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if there is a way to push the buttons up to give it a shorter distance against the plastic

BTW MORE PDP controllers are on the way!!!

original.jpg
I'm hoping there's a simple hard mod solution. But since the hori ones don't have this issue out of the box, I'm not sure anyone will bother to figure it out.

goodbytes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's say Amazon has an item of a value £35 then a supplier via Flubit will offer you for £29-30 making a save of £5-6 in total and the shipping's free. This is how I got my Bayonetta 2: Special Edition.

Thanks for the heads up.. i got an offer at 10% cheaper. happy days.. so yeah, if anyone wants the HORI controller go with flubit.com

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Who has these controllers and has used them with Smash 4? Any opinions? Do you think they can stand years of smashing? :P
They look pretty damn sexy and I need to get a good controller for Smash 4.
I was thinking maybe a Pro Controller since I don't have one of those yet, and I like the xbox 360 pad form factor, but these are so much sexier. I'm torn.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I wonder if there is a way to push the buttons up to give it a shorter distance against the plastic

BTW MORE PDP controllers are on the way!!!

original.jpg

The layout of the PDP-GameCube controllers doesn't seem all that comfortable then again this is judging by the images, but dear Miyamoto, that DK-themed controller looks pretty dull though they did try to go for what DK's about.

Shame how everyone forgets about the existence of Donkey Kong Junior.:unsure:

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The layout of the PDP-GameCube controllers doesn't seem all that comfortable then again this is judging by the images, but dear Miyamoto, that DK-themed controller looks pretty dull though they did try to go for what DK's about.

I find them incredibly comfy, though the triggers can be tough to use for the reasons mentioned in previous posts.

I'm disappointed that the Link and Samus controllers aren't more colorful. The Yoshi controller was so so cool because of all the contrastic colors on the sticks, dpad, and top and bottom shell. They should've addes splashes of gold and maybe blue to the Link controller, and made the sticks on the Samus controller red.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping there's a simple hard mod solution. But since the hori ones don't have this issue out of the box, I'm not sure anyone will bother to figure it out.

Does this mean the Hori controllers do have analog triggers? I understand the PDP don't despite having the spring-like analog push down mechanism. Or are you simply saying that PDP controllers are also digital but they don't have the spring-like analog push down mechanism?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm just curious, are you aware of the supposed story behind DK Jr, DK, and Cranky Kong, hinted at within the DKC games?

It goes like this: Supposedly Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong from the arcade games who has grown up and old. DK Junior grew up to become the modern Donkey Kong that we all know from the DKC games, DK64, Jungle Beat, etc. If this theory is true, then the fact of the matter is, DK Jr. is still around, but he's the one that simply goes by DK now which makes the younger model of him non-existent. Which explains why Diddy (DK's nephew) came along instead to fill the role of a younger kong (also they wanted to make him look cooler than the DK Jr. model as well).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-