Might be a blindingly obvious question....

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But it's something I just want to know. My PS2 and Laptop have the same AC adapter plugs but the difference is that the laptop adapter outputs 18v while the PS2 one outs 8.5v. What happens if I plug my laptop adapter into the PS2?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I always interchange mine without any conciquences. Actually, I think my PS2 is plugging into the laptop one right now.

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It might blow...
tongue.gif
The diffrence is not that big, so it might work. I have fried a couple of things using the wrong voltage. However, thats becuase I am traveling a lot between the US and Europe, 110 vs 230. There is a noticble difference
biggrin.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Things besides voltage to look out for:
Does the polarity (+/-) match?
Is the amperage (A or mA) somewhat close?
Is the output of the supply AC or DC?

The polarity is easy to fix by cutting the cord and crisscrossing the wires.
The voltage and amperage don't have to be exact, but the closer the better.
AC outputting power supplies are pretty rare.

If you try it and it doesn't power on immediately, pull it out and don't screw with it.
If it does work, check the temperature of the supply once in a while, if it's really hot, pull that sucka!
Hope that helps a little.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
But it's something I just want to know. My PS2 and Laptop have the same AC adapter plugs but the difference is that the laptop adapter outputs 18v while the PS2 one outs 8.5v. What happens if I plug my laptop adapter into the PS2?
Watch your PS2 smoke, if you leave it in to long...

QUOTEIt might blow...  The diffrence is not that big, so it might work.

When your talking low voltages, 9.5 volts is a massive difference.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have the AC adaptor for the PS2..and the adapter for your laptop..why dont you just use each adapter for their respective device? o.o This seems like a very redundant question. And yes, its usually a bad idea to plug something into something else that doesnt take that voltage...especially if its higher.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Meh, tried it last night. Plugged the laptop one into the PS2. The little noises it makes when booting up changed and then it made the PS2 motor spin REAL fast. Pulled it out.... so yeah. If you were wondering what it does, it doesn't kill the PS2 as such but I know that I wouldn't be using that adapter for a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.