Microsoft Disabling Dev Mode Access

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But for real this was more for apps than game development and it's easy to install RA on retail, no need for whitelisting.

And OtherOS was removed after geohotz famous exploit was already released, he didn't hack it in retaliation as many believe. That was failoverflow who let's be honest we're going to get around to it at some point and was a couple months after there was a jailbreak available.

Last edited by SomeKindOfUsername,

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a heads up, it seems that MS will disable 'inactive' Dev Mode accounts. I received this email:

When I try to go into dev mode on my One X, I am unable to activate dev mode with the webpage showing "Access Restricted".

Fortunately I wasn't a heavy user, but I can see this causing problems for others.

edit:

Also, this email appeared in my junk folder on the Outlook app, but as far as I can tell it is legitimate given the above.
Bruh does microsoft want hackers and modders on their hand? Because that is exactly what will happen if they kill off dev mode.

Dev mode was a good place to have emulators and homebrew but by removing it they give hackers and modders the incentive to find exploits and flaws in the consoles like bro what??

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Yes you basically have to find someone who privately uploads a build to the store and let them whitelist you to download it. Those get frequently taken down tho and are not officially supported by the retro arch team unfortunately

are other builds supported?
XD

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've gotten the email earlier today.

email said:
Hello Developer,

We have disabled the Windows and Xbox enrollment in your Microsoft Partner Center account because it did not have an active presence in the Store. For reference, see the Developer Code of Conduct (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/store-developer-code-of-conduct) which says that an active presence in the Store must be maintained.

If you have any questions. please reach out to [email redacted]

The Microsoft Store Team

MisterAlex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
misteralex.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, I didn't get my dev account 90+ days ago, so I guess I'm okay to keep playing SNES Aladdin for now...

But yeah, I guess I'll just sell my Series S. This was the only reason I got an Xbox outside of a few exclusives, and I'm not going to go through the trouble of jumping through hoops or publishing a fidget spinner app or whatever just to keep it going. Oh, well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: babyboodle

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like I haven't been banned yet. I never published anything to the store. But I did compile and run a few things via VisualStudio (things like Sonic CD when that was first published as a PC port). Either they haven't gotten around to banning me yet, or they're actually looking at other dev-adjacent activities besides publishing?
Yeah I think this is true.

I emailed them and they said they looked at my account and have reinstated it.
There was no mention of me having to upload to the store within 90 days to stop it getting deactivated again, but I do actually use it to upload/test games on my consoles that I'm developing myself.

I think if they see that nothing has ever been done dev-wise and it's only been used to play emulators etc then they might give that stipulation as someone earlier in the thread said they did get given the 90 day warning after emailing and having their account re-activated.

Seems like they have just blanket deactivated all accounts without a store presence and will deal with anyone that queries it on a case-by-case basis, which I guess will be quicker than going through accounts individually from the start - plus a lot of people won't bother querying it at all which will take the workload down for MS even more.

blerg16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I think this is true.

I emailed them and they said they looked at my account and have reinstated it.
There was no mention of me having to upload to the store within 90 days to stop it getting deactivated again, but I do actually use it to upload/test games on my consoles that I'm developing myself.

I think if they see that nothing has ever been done dev-wise and it's only been used to play emulators etc then they might give that stipulation as someone earlier in the thread said they did get given the 90 day warning after emailing and having their account re-activated.

Seems like they have just blanket deactivated all accounts without a store presence and will deal with anyone that queries it on a case-by-case basis, which I guess will be quicker than going through accounts individually from the start - plus a lot of people won't bother querying it at all which will take the workload down for MS even more.
Yes, this makes sense. They've stated the general intention without giving any explicit direction on how to get around it (i.e., if you've never even registered with VS, you're out unless you explain). The 90 days rule, while it may also protect you, doesn't seem to gel with realistic development times IMO.

That said, I'm surprised MVG wouldn't have compiled anything, having been in dev mode since XB1. There's probably a timeframe for that as well.

Reactions: DoobyDude

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m guessing many people were abusing the dev mode feature to use emulators and not make games.

Microsoft just got their Other OS moment.
It's not really "abusing" as retroarch is still considered in beta. As someone who plays emulators using retroarch, you're essentially a beta tester. Don't let MS fool you into thinking you're doing something wrong.

babyboodle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be frank, this is why I hadn't ever pursued using my Xbox for the sake of emulation and minimal homebrew experimentation at home, as the possibility of this happening crossed my mind immediately. I tried to find out information about whether they'd ever close it or not when I first heard about this sometime in 2020, but couldn't find anything upfront. That, in addition to not having direct access over my ability to use the hardware in this manner, is what kept me from dipping my toes in. I'm sad and grumpy that a lot of other people have to deal with their accounts being revoked though. :/

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, got the email today too. I never really used dev mode and got an account for free, so can't complain. Still, this sucks for those who used it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto