Microsoft changing how Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass subscriptions work in the U.K.

Social_1920x1080.jpg

Following an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority in the U.K., Microsoft will be making changes to the way it handles automatically renewing subscriptions to Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold. Microsoft will be making the following changes:
  • Better upfront information: Microsoft will provide more transparent, upfront information to help customers understand their Xbox membership – making clear, for example, that the subscription will auto-renew unless the customer turns off auto-renewal; when the subscription will auto-renew; how much it will cost; and how the customer can receive a refund after an accidental renewal.​
  • Refunds: Microsoft will contact existing customers on recurring 12-month contracts and give them the option to end their contract and claim a pro-rata refund.​
  • Inactive memberships: Microsoft will also contact existing customers who haven’t used their memberships for a long time but are still paying. These customers will be reminded how to stop payments, and if they continue not to use their memberships, Microsoft will ultimately stop taking further payments.​
  • Better information about price increases: Microsoft will give clearer notifications of any future price rises, and will ensure people know how to turn off auto-renewal if they don’t want to pay the higher price.​
It is currently unknown if Microsoft will bring these changes to other areas.

The CMA is also investigating auto-renewal practices by Sony and Nintendo, so we will likely see similar changes from them soon. "Other companies offering memberships and subscriptions that auto-renew should take note, and review their practices to ensure they comply with consumer protection law," noted Michael Grenfell, Executive Director of Enforcement at the CMA.

:arrow: Source

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is this new? Every time I do one of the $1 1mo subscriptions I get emails telling me when it’s going to charge me and how much, and it even tells me how many days are left on the Xbox Home Screen where it displays your gamer tag.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo