Microsoft announces cross-platform play feature for Xbox One

51etr2wmNHL._SX425_.jpg
Director of ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, has made a pretty cool announcement today; In trying to "unify" both PC and Xbox platforms, Microsoft has added a cross-play feature to the Xbox One. So long as the game supports it, you can now go online on your Xbox, and play with people on PC. And should Sony be willing, there's even potential for playing with those on PS4.

First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.
:arrow: Source

Neru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god I can imagine Xbox vs. PlayStation tournaments! Now that would be interesting!

Last edited by Neru,

godlover9000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that this would be an awesome feature! maybe then I would not feel so alienated by my friends who only play xbox one while I myself, do most of my gaming on PC.

0nethe

Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Doesn't matter to me to welcome PC player on xbox. I play destiny on xbox one since day one with my mouse and I 'rekt' them in PVP like crazy :D
Who said XIM4? :D

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This makes me recall 4x4 Evo, which was an off-road racing game that had cross-platform play between PS2, Dreamcast, PC and Mac.

Just glad to read this bit of clarification, because most so-called professional news outlets were automatically saying this was going to enable Xbox one players to play against PS4 people.

Good on Microsoft for this; I eagerly await to see this pay off.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more like sharing server cost would be the most beinfit to them. Both Sony n Microsoft, have claimed to have lost billions in server fees. If they where to make all current and future games cross play between, xbone, psdeath and the pii-u, the 3 could lose less in server cost, by spliting the fees between them. Plus Nintendoesn't would finally break in modern gaming.

Last edited by chartube12,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only one who dislike the Keyboard+mouse controls? :unsure:
Dislike? Probably not. Does not mean the alternative is not functionally superior though.

On the "weren't MS against it?" matter then quite possibly, however the arse has since fallen out of the PC market so business/staying somewhat relevant is probably the bigger concern.

Anyway it is not like it an amazing technical feat, and I imagine other than authentication and such that things use basically the same netcode between consoles, other consoles and PC as it is -- the lack of dedicated servers on PC games in recent times probably attesting to that one more than anything else.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's a good selling point, I'm surprised that it took 2 generations for everyone to achieve something the Dreamcast already did back in 1998.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The skill ceiling bumps up, I wouldn't say it's easier
The history of firearms has a poignant feature where muskets and such, despite being inferior to longbows of the time, saw the fact that in about 24 hours you can be reasonably effective with a firearm where in 24 hours you are going to be nowhere with a longbow and maybe only slightly better with a crossbow or shortbow. I have to wonder if there is not something similar, or at least some kind of feature of keyboard and mouse*.
Alternatively everybody up until now uses a mouse so you have your few hundred hours of mouse use by the time you pick up games. I will be curious to see what happens when all the kids on raised on touchscreens but not mice (and if I count laptop trackpads as not mice we are maybe 3 years out from a sizeable number that pick normally pick up such games up at 7-9 years old). That said it will probably be balanced out by minecraft.

*I grew up before Doom (though Duke3d and Star Wars Dark Forces were probably the bigger drivers) and http://old-computers.com/MUSEUM/photos/ResearchMach_Nimbus_Mice_s1.jpg was what I knew as a mouse for many years, oh and it was a ball mouse as well. Still had possibly a thousand hours in on it before then though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: so i can rest peacefully