Hacking MGS3 3DS rom file, how to split/trim?

kuro_blackfire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi. (decided to post a thread.) I seriously need help!
I've been trying everything for days now and all i want is to be able to play MGS3...Since it's a 4gb file, i need to split/trim it, right?

So i looked it up and apparently Gateway has a "handy SplitROM GUI (OSX/WIN32) utility". I tried it, and i had absolutely no idea what i was doing. I searched for instructions but i didn't really know if i was doing the right thing. In the end, i messed around with it and everything i had in my SD card disappeared...great.

After I got back the things on my sd card, i downloaded 3DSGuy's 3ds rom tool on filetrip which didn't actually work since it never seems to finish installing so i end up having to re-install it all the time. Somehow i got the file into winrar and i tried to open "rom_tool.exe" and when i ran it, the cmd program flashes and then it disappears.

I've tried a bunch of other things with no such luck...(so i even decided get an account and ask on a forum)

If anyone has any idea how i can split/trim my MGS3 file, please help! (Plus i'm not very techno-savy so instructions would be nice.) I just want to play this one game...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just reformat your microsd card to exFAT (you need a card that support it though), you wont have to worry about the 4GB limit
if you mean install it on a 4GB or less card then I believe all parts must be present for it to even work

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is the gui version, dont have to mess with the cmd prompt

Attachments

• Rom Tool Gui.zip
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,116

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok. Well I got it to successfully trim! Yay. But the file is now 3gb....Does that mean I keep on trimming? Also, when i trim, the other 1gb is gone, what does that mean?
Without going into specifics, you could say that 1GB is just empty data used to fill up space. You quite literally just deleted 1 GB worth of trash/nothing. And that's good!

kuro_blackfire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Without going into specifics, you could say that 1GB is just empty data used to fill up space. You quite literally just deleted 1 GB worth of trash/nothing. And that's good!

Oh. That's good. It fits into my SD card, but it says "Read error" when i try to find the game (in the gray box with the list of icons)...

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh. That's good. It fits into my SD card, but it says "Read error" when i try to find the game (in the gray box with the list of icons)...
Are you sure you put it onto a microSD card and put that into the red Gateway card? (Assuming you use Gateway, since it's mentioned in the first post.)

kuro_blackfire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hell yeah! I got it! :lol:

At first, i put another game(2gb) in there and it still didn't work. Then i realised that my sd card was actually formatted wrong. When i reformatted it, i put just MGS3 on it and it didn't work. But when i put the other game(2gb) in with it, it worked. o-o Well it's fine, cause i'll probably put in more games anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-