Hacking (menu translation) super robot wars z 3 jigoku-hen

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 8,770
  • Replies 12
D

Deleted User

OP
Hey everyone. I wanted to start a menu translation for this. I'm having a problem unpacking the .cpk files though. I tried the newest version of quick bms and the new 0.3a cpk script. I keep getting the not matching error. I then tried cripack and got nothing. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

manifestx88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just tried to unpack the file stated and it worked.
I'm using QuickBMS 0.8.1 and CRI CPK archives (v 0.3.3) BMS script.
Just be sure you are using decrypted files; you can tell if they are decrypted if you open a file in Hexeditor and the first 3 characters are CPK,

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
I just tried to unpack the file stated and it worked.
I'm using QuickBMS 0.8.1 and CRI CPK archives (v 0.3.3) BMS script.
Just be sure you are using decrypted files; you can tell if they are decrypted if you open a file in Hexeditor and the first 3 characters are CPK,
New script works great. I'm already translating the xml file now which contains items, skills and descriptions. . After I will be looking for the actual menu text. Thanks!

D

Deleted User

OP
Edited .xml file, here is a sample

upload_2018-11-1_23-19-45.png

I am editing in Notepad++ with xml plugin. As you can see the text is all over and contains a lot of NULL.

I repacked into .cpk. Game hangs on splash screen when you start it. I've tried repacking with and without compression as well as sjis and utf-8 encoding. Still getting the hang. Also inside the the STAGE folder are the stage files. I unpacked the first to find a list of files
upload_2018-11-1_23-13-45.png

The .dat contains the prologue script. I tried to edit with notepad++ and repack into .cpk. When I selected New Game it froze on a black screen. So need a way to unpack .dat file next.
Other .cpk file aslo contain a ton of .dat files so no idea what inside those.

Reactions: Nightwinter

froid_san

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
it seems that game CPK store's its files by file ID and does not use File names or Groups.

btw what cpk files contain those .xml? and what are you using to repack the cpk?

Last edited by froid_san,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
it seems that game CPK store's its files by file ID and does not use File names or Groups.

btw what cpk files contain those .xml? and what are you using to repack the cpk?
rpw_data.cpk has it. I'm using critools.

D

Deleted User

OP
This game is part of a duology. This is part one. Tengoku is part 2 and shares the same file structure and text. This will make the menu translation for Tengoku easier.

froid_san

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
it seems that that xml files does not only contains text but also other data, by the end of the file seems like a toc or data offsets. so simply editing text and changing the file size will break the game... you need to reverse engineer the file... maybe the devs of kuriimu can help you make a plugin for that file.

but another problem might come out since usually, full Japanese SRW games have no font for half-width characters (ABCDEF) and only has full-width English characters (ABCDEF) it's been like that since the PS2/PS3 days. When you place a normal half-width characters (ABCDEF) whether its acsii/utf8 it will still interpret it as a full-width text and will come out as s unreadable Japanese text or no font at all.

here's an example of an edit without changing the size so it won't crash

Original text: (1ターンの間、最終命中率と最終回避率が30%アップします。)
2018-11-03-024151.png

Modified text using half-width text: (The final hit rate and the final evasion rate are up 30% d) and it came out as garbage
2018-11-03-024904.png

Modified text using full-width (shift-jis) text: (BGMBGMBGMBGMBGMBGMBGMBGMBGM)
2018-11-03-030037.png

Last edited by froid_san,
D

Deleted User

OP
it seems that that xml files does not only contains text but also other data, by the end of the file seems like a toc or data offsets. so simply editing text and changing the file size will break the game... you need to reverse engineer the file... maybe the devs of kuriimu can help you make a plugin for that file.

but another problem might come out since usually, full Japanese SRW games have no font for half-width characters (ABCDEF) and only has full-width English characters (ABCDEF) it's been like that since the PS2/PS3 days. When you place a normal half-width characters (ABCDEF) whether its acsii/utf8 it will still interpret it as a full-width text and will come out as s unreadable Japanese text or no font at all.

here's an example of an edit without changing the size so it won't crash

Original text: (1ターンの間、最終命中率と最終回避率が30%アップします。)
2018-11-03-024151.png

Modified text using half-width text: (The final hit rate and the final evasion rate are up 30% d) and it came out as garbage
2018-11-03-024904.png

Modified text using full-width (shift-jis) text: (BGMBGMBGMBGMBGMBGMBGMBGMBGM)
2018-11-03-030037.png
I was wondering if all of that was extra data. Thanks froid San for looking into this. I've contacted kuriimu about a possible plug in as well. Thanks for the advice. I've also contacted someone else who is familiar with srw game modding. I will let your know what I find do out.

Reactions: Nightwinter

Nightwinter

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I was wondering if all of that was extra data. Thanks froid San for looking into this. I've contacted kuriimu about a possible plug in as well. Thanks for the advice. I've also contacted someone else who is familiar with srw game modding. I will let your know what I find do out.

Is this still an ongoing project? I would like to help when I finish Zanki Zero asset swap patch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gt2ToRSjQA