Memory Lane #1: Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire turn 15 years old

pokemon rs.png

Welcome to the first-ever issue of the new “Memory Lane” article series, where I’ll be writing about influential and nostalgic games and hardware that have reached an anniversary milestone, in order to celebrate them. Today, we’ll be tackling a set of two popular games that many people hold near and dear to their hearts. If you’ve read the title, or seen the promotion image for this thread, then you of course already have figured out what those games are! Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire versions, which as of today, March 19, released 15 years ago, in North America. Comparatively, it launched four months prior in Japan, and four months later in Europe.

Pokemon - Ruby Version (Uewewewe) (V1.1).png

Pokemon - Rubewwwwwwwwy Version (U) (V1.1).png Pokemon -dfsfssdf Ruby Version (U) (V1.1).png Pokemon - ewrwerRuby Version (U) (V1.1).png

After the incredible success of the Pokemon franchise on the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, an anime series that had taken the world by storm, and merchandise sales that were through the roof, GameFreak was ready to release a brand new Pokemon experience on Nintendo’s latest handheld, the Game Boy Advance. These new games would take the series from 8-bit into the world of 32-bit games, offering much more color and detail and new features than any entry before.

IVs and EVs were changed and Abilities and Natures were added, radically changing the competitive scene. The Apricorns from Gold, Silver, and Crystal became something even better, as Berries were introduced, letting players plant and water their own crops which would result in hold-items that could do a wealth of things in battles. You could now also fight Pokemon in 2v2 matches, called Double Battles. There were Secret Bases you could decorate and show off to friends, and the Contest minigames, which let your Pokemon compete in a more strategic way than just battling. And finally, we of course had a whole 135 new creatures to catch and train, in a brand new region that had no ties to Kanto or Johto. This last addition was controversial at the time, as the lack of returning older Pokemon made the games feel much different from Gen 1 and 2, of which fans had grown quite accustomed to and comfortable with. Sales for Ruby and Sapphire would peak at about 16 million units sold, and while it became one of the most popular games of all time on the GBA, it would never reach the same popularity that Red and Blue (27 mil) and Gold and Silver (23 mil) did.

Pokemon - Ruby Veeqqrsion (U) (V1.1).png

Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) (Vr1.1).png Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) 1(V1.1).png daycare.png

Hoenn was quite the unique region, with its water-laden routes that required boat travel, or vast amounts of ocean (7.8/10 too much water) that you had to traverse, and even dive through. The games’ soundtrack will forever be remembered for the blaring trumpets in its themes. It had perhaps the most obtuse puzzle in accessing a legendary Pokemon, requiring Braille in order to get past. In 2005, the third version to the games--Emerald--would release. This game refined the formula created in Ruby and Sapphire, and added in major changes, such as the beloved Battle Frontier. Eleven years later, the two games would be remade in 3D, in the form of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which received moderate-to-positive reviews, and would eventually come close to selling the same amount of their predecessors, at 14 million units sold.

The generation of players that started their Pokemon experience with these two games have likely grown up now, fifteen years after release. There’s no doubt that Ruby and Sapphire are beloved by many, and are likely considered by many to be the peak of the series as well. So, then, what are your thoughts? Are these two games something you remember fondly, or did you skip these titles, and move on from the series? Or are you perhaps more familiar with the remakes that came later down the line? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

If you liked this article, and would like to see more of these anniversary celebrations in the future, be sure to comment as well, and mention which game you'd like to see featured in future threads!

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
As someone who'd spent many 100's of hours playing playing the Gen 1 and 2 games I was disappointed all my Pokemon would remain stuck in Gen 1 and 2 and not be transferable to Ruby and Sapphire. That did annoy me quite a lot at the time and kinda put me off the series a bit.

That said back in early 2003 6+ months before Ruby was released here in the UK, I played a badly translated JPN version of Ruby on my flash card which I remember showing a friend in college. I remember him been pretty amazed I was playing the game so early, although I only did a couple of gyms as to try it out as I didn't want to spoil the game when it finally got released. I did purchase the game when it was released here in the UK however never really got in to it at the time.

My friends who were in to the Gen 1 and 2 games lost interest in Pokemon and I just had so much College work to do I never had the time to play the game and enjoy it. In 2008 / 2009 ish myself and some course mates at Uni got back in to Pokemon and had Diamond, Pearl and Platinum between us, pretty amazed it was finally possible to trade Pokemon online. After we all finished the Gen 4 games we each played a different Gen 3 game, as none of us had finished them. The idea been we could have a large variety of Pokemon to migrate to Gen 4 and trade online. This is when I finished Pokemon Ruby for the first time, I then also purchased Leaf Green on Ebay and finished that too, so i'd finished at least one game in every pair / triplet of games.

Going back and playing Ruby years later did make me appreciate the game much more and really enjoy it, especially by that time Gen 1 had got a remake, meaning it was now possible to finish the Pokedex in Gen 3. I also started trying to collect Gen 3 event Pokemon then too. I got the JPN Celebi bonus disc and the US Jirachi bonus disc on Ebay along with some other event Pokemon from people I traded with online.

In 2016 I uploaded my save: Pokemon GEN3 Legit Event Pokemon Save [Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed & LeafGreen] this gradually got noticed by people who helped contribute more Pokemon to the collection. After 2+ years of work we now almost have at least one of every Gen 3 event Pokemon (Still in Gen 3) for the JPN and English games.

If anyone's still interested and reading my post to this point the following events are still needed:

Japanese: STAMP Absol, STAMP Pichu, Sapporo Pikachu and Hadou Regirock (plus more Hadou Regice & Registeel for research) and the PokePark Jirachi.
English: ROCKS Metang (untouched), 9 of 12 JEREMY Pokemon and More of any PCNY events

Although I had a bit of a love / hate relationship with Gen 3 it has certainly become one of my favorite generations. Gold, Silver and Crystal are still my favorite games however. Needless to say i'm pretty happy Nintendo finally made it possible to legitimately trade Pokemon up from Gen 1 and 2 games to Gen 7. I restored my childhood saves to the 3DS and spent time importing my living Pokedex and teams though Poke Transporter, although i'm getting a bit off topic now.

In regards to the 60fps comment above, yes 60fps is not required, however after playing Sun / Moon on my o3DS which struggles to maintain 30fps I've just started playing Emerald and I can tell you the game having such as smooth framerate has been very pleasing.

The real question is does anyone think the Gen 3 games will eventually get re-released on the Virtual Console? given how well the Gen 1 and 2 releases did on the 3DS I do think this is something we will probably see on the Switch at some point, with Pokebank compatibility to have an easier way of importing Pokemon in current games.

Reactions: Skylar-

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hoenn was the first region which felt like a true adventure. From traversing a desert that required you to wear goggles, to diving deep down into the Hidden Chamber, to climbing to the peak of Mount Pyre, to exploring a city built inside a volcanic crater, to facing a pokemon that could destroy the world with an extreme weather condition, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, despite being the first games in the series to not have any useful exploits/glitches, were truly memorable experiences. The Sinnoh region, despite not being as epic as the Hoenn region, also felt like an adventure, and that was sadly, the last region in the series that felt as such. Kanto and Johto felt more like field trips, but the freedom to explore still made them fun.
As someone who'd spent many 100's of hours playing playing the Gen 1 and 2 games I was disappointed all my Pokemon would remain stuck in Gen 1 and 2 and not be transferable to Ruby and Sapphire. That did annoy me quite a lot at the time and kinda put me off the series a bit.

That said back in early 2003 6+ months before Ruby was released here in the UK, I played a badly translated JPN version of Ruby on my flash card which I remember showing a friend in college. I remember him been pretty amazed I was playing the game so early, although I only did a couple of gyms as to try it out as I didn't want to spoil the game when it finally got released. I did purchase the game when it was released here in the UK however never really got in to it at the time.

My friends who were in to the Gen 1 and 2 games lost interest in Pokemon and I just had so much College work to do I never had the time to play the game and enjoy it. In 2008 / 2009 ish myself and some course mates at Uni got back in to Pokemon and had Diamond, Pearl and Platinum between us, pretty amazed it was finally possible to trade Pokemon online. After we all finished the Gen 4 games we each played a different Gen 3 game, as none of us had finished them. The idea been we could have a large variety of Pokemon to migrate to Gen 4 and trade online. This is when I finished Pokemon Ruby for the first time, I then also purchased Leaf Green on Ebay and finished that too, so i'd finished at least one game in every pair / triplet of games.

Going back and playing Ruby years later did make me appreciate the game much more and really enjoy it, especially by that time Gen 1 had got a remake, meaning it was now possible to finish the Pokedex in Gen 3. I also started trying to collect Gen 3 event Pokemon then too. I got the JPN Celebi bonus disc and the US Jirachi bonus disc on Ebay along with some other event Pokemon from people I traded with online.

In 2016 I uploaded my save: Pokemon GEN3 Legit Event Pokemon Save [Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed & LeafGreen] this gradually got noticed by people who helped contribute more Pokemon to the collection. After 2+ years of work we now almost have at least one of every Gen 3 event Pokemon (Still in Gen 3) for the JPN and English games.

If anyone's still interested and reading my post to this point the following events are still needed:

Japanese: STAMP Absol, STAMP Pichu, Sapporo Pikachu and Hadou Regirock (plus more Hadou Regice & Registeel for research) and the PokePark Jirachi.
English: ROCKS Metang (untouched), 9 of 12 JEREMY Pokemon and More of any PCNY events

Although I had a bit of a love / hate relationship with Gen 3 it has certainly become one of my favorite generations. Gold, Silver and Crystal are still my favorite games however. Needless to say i'm pretty happy Nintendo finally made it possible to legitimately trade Pokemon up from Gen 1 and 2 games to Gen 7. I restored my childhood saves to the 3DS and spent time importing my living Pokedex and teams though Poke Transporter, although i'm getting a bit off topic now.

In regards to the 60fps comment above, yes 60fps is not required, however after playing Sun / Moon on my o3DS which struggles to maintain 30fps I've just started playing Emerald and I can tell you the game having such as smooth framerate has been very pleasing.

The real question is does anyone think the Gen 3 games will eventually get re-released on the Virtual Console? given how well the Gen 1 and 2 releases did on the 3DS I do think this is something we will probably see on the Switch at some point, with Pokebank compatibility to have an easier way of importing Pokemon in current games.
while omega ruby and alpha saphire are being made and on stores i dont see any chance for ruby and sdaphire vc tbh, when nintendo finaly closes production and stores end the games then maybe.

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm a Pokémon player, since my first Blue cartridge that I got for trading Mortal Kombat and Pole Position for the original GB. In this context, I TOTALLY hated Gen3, the design, the music (come on, how do you go from an explendid Gen2 soundtrack to the trumpet shitfest of Gen3?), the new Pokémon designs- I remember I was totally shocked, I got the game with hunger because past generation was just amazing and I could only think how more amazing the new game would be. Despite this, I played more than 500hrs in the new game because one important matter: competitive metagame was now a reality, unlike previous games where Alakazam and Tyranitar were almost the only competitive Pokémons, the new mechanics opened more room for the competitive player. I truly DO NOT love this generation besides Battle Frontier, it was abscent of identity, too generic and AT THE SAME DAMN TIME too far from the "Pokémon concept", it had o theme, no cohesion and almost all of its characters we're pretty mediocre (only Steve was a very enjoyable character and you don't even got to know him that much). For me, Pear, Diamond & Platinum were the redemption games of the mistake Gen3 was. As a Pokémon fan-to-the-bone I wish Gen3 had better development and more Pokémon world concept. I never touched that generation again since my Emerald got stolen.

mizorechan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I miss this game. My favorite Pokémon region. And I loved ORAS too, unlike Sun/Moon which I regret even starting that bad game.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I miss this game. My favorite Pokémon region. And I loved ORAS too, unlike Sun/Moon which I regret even starting that bad game.
even tough i dislike hoen, sun and moon is by far the worst pokemon gen yet, srs they tryed to inovate and just made a very bad game, lots of text tutorials, the island kahunas were a simple trainer battle and the trials were so boring :S, id take 8 normal gyms over sun and moon everyday.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying