Homebrew RELEASE melonDS for Switch — continuation

Melter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any word on zip support? trying To save as much space as I can on my sd card. My library of DS roms takes up less than 1/3rd the space when archived

with the last renderer update this emulator has potential to be my go to way for playing DS games with a few more QoL enhancements. Wouldn’t mind supporting on patreon or something like that if necessary

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
they work fine for me, been using them a while. The reason they often don't work i believe is because of firmware changes, and needing to update them everytime.
the reality of it is most dev don't support forwarders , never have, never will

The RetroArch NSP, NSP forwarders of any kind, or launching HBL through the Album (or any) applet are NOT supported.
Launching N64 through the album is also NOT supported, and will cause your switch to fatal.

Atmosphere title replacement to launch the hbmenu is the only supported method of running melonDS!
If you don't know what that means: press R while starting any game from the Switch's main menu to enter the hbmenu, don't use the album!

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the reality of it is most dev don't support forwarders , never have, never will

The RetroArch NSP, NSP forwarders of any kind, or launching HBL through the Album (or any) applet are NOT supported.
Launching N64 through the album is also NOT supported, and will cause your switch to fatal.

Atmosphere title replacement to launch the hbmenu is the only supported method of running melonDS!
If you don't know what that means: press R while starting any game from the Switch's main menu to enter the hbmenu, don't use the album!
idk whos launching N64 through album, forwarder would be much simpler, its a shame, since forwarders are better for quickly launching certain homebrew used frequently, but to each their own.

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
idk whos launching N64 through album, forwarder would be much simpler, its a shame, since forwarders are better for quickly launching certain homebrew used frequently, but to each their own.
It seems you don't understand. This isn't a matter of preference. Launching ROMs through forwarders can prevent the emulator from accessing enough RAM to work properly. If you run out of available RAM, your game will slow down, freeze or crash and basically be unplayable. This may not have happened to you yet, but it is very common. You're basically praising the benefits of riding a donkey at a Formula 1 race because the donkey doesn't require a helmet.

Last edited by Gep_Etto,
Reactions: SexiestManAlive

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems you don't understand. This isn't a matter of preference. Launching ROMs through forwarders can prevent the emulator from accessing enough RAM to work properly. If you run out of available RAM, your game will slow down, freeze or crash and basically be unplayable. This may not have happened to you yet, but it is very common. You're basically praising the benefits of riding a donkey at a Formula 1 race because the donkey doesn't require a helmet.
really? i thought forwarders had the same power as using hbl by holding r when launching a game.

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wah? i have a forwarder for ppsspp and it works perfectly fine, i think it just comes down to how you acquire the forwarder, i think at one point melonds also actually had a forwarder, ill check.

edit: just realized your talking about rom forwarders and not just any forwarder for homebrew, lol, sorry.

Last edited by SexiestManAlive,

Arigatix

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hey, i was playing pokemon black, tried to save after playing a lot and the game crashed.
I had saved before a lot of times and went good, now the .sav seems to be corrupted and can't be loaded.
I can load the game but whenever I try to save the game, the emulator closes.
I can still play with saveloads but I don't know if in the future I will have to obligatory save in order to continue the game, does it have a solution? I have tried everything.

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if I should request this here but when attempting to load up Mario Kart CTGP - Nitro on the latest release, with the JIT recompiler active, the game freezes upon selecting single player. This same freeze is not presesnt if you run the game in non-jit, I'm wondering if thats a compiler problem or ROM problem. Thanks.

Edit: Also DSi mode straight up refuses to load the ROM hack.

BogglyBear

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey! So I've been struggling trying to get MelonDS to work. I put the stuff in the right places as stated in the forum post, and gotten the correct files, yet whenever I go to open MelonDS it just crashes Atmosphere immediately. Would you be able to help me through it? I have already tried a fresh install as well

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! So I've been struggling trying to get MelonDS to work. I put the stuff in the right places as stated in the forum post, and gotten the correct files, yet whenever I go to open MelonDS it just crashes Atmosphere immediately. Would you be able to help me through it? I have already tried a fresh install as well
How are you launching it. Are you using applet mode (going to album to launch)

howiplay1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. it requires piracy patches
2. in the past it's known to cause all sorts of stupid issues I don't want to deal with
ok i have an offer, ill give you 5 bucks paypal to let me simply have forwarders work the way they do with ppsspp and retroarch on melonds (ik thats not much but im poor as shit)

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ok i have an offer, ill give you 5 bucks paypal to let me simply have forwarders work the way they do with ppsspp and retroarch on melonds (ik thats not much but im poor as shit)
No one's pointing a gun to your head, if you want to do things the stupid way you're free to do so. But you're not really asking @catlover007 to "let you" do anything, are you? You're asking them to code a feature they don't want to code (for two perfectly valid reasons), wasting their time, just to get functionality that nobody but you and a handful of brats wants, and you're so entitled that you're actually offering to pay the amazing sum of five dollars for their work. If I were the dev and you had made me that same offer, I would take the opportunity to teach you more swear words than a child living in a crack den picks up in a month.

• Sad
Reactions: pinbi7 and cubes

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one's pointing a gun to your head, if you want to do things the stupid way you're free to do so. But you're not really asking @catlover007 to "let you" do anything, are you? You're asking them to code a feature they don't want to code (for two perfectly valid reasons), wasting their time, just to get functionality that nobody but you and a handful of brats wants, and you're so entitled that you're actually offering to pay the amazing sum of five dollars for their work. If I were the dev and you had made me that same offer, I would take the opportunity to teach you more swear words than a child living in a crack den picks up in a month.

Who hurt you?

Don't know if I should request this here but when attempting to load up Mario Kart CTGP - Nitro on the latest release, with the JIT recompiler active, the game freezes upon selecting single player. This same freeze is not presesnt if you run the game in non-jit, I'm wondering if thats a compiler problem or ROM problem. Thanks.

Edit: Also DSi mode straight up refuses to load the ROM hack.

I would recommend repatching a clean copy of your MKDS ROM or use a new dump of your MKDS ROM entirely.
See if that makes a difference. If not, then it's like a compatibility issue with the emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F