Homebrew Media Players (MPlayer/GeexBox)

Midnightzak

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a 32" flat panel LCD TV and hooked up my trustworthy Wii to it. I changed the Wii system menu option to "Widescreen" and the Wii's system menu and Homebrew menu display using the entire screen, this is good.

However when I try and watch movies using either GeexBox (preferred application) or MPlayer CE, the video doesn't cover the whole screen, there is a black box surrounding it. I have played with the TV's zoom/display modes which does me no good and I've messed around with GeexBox's aspect ratios which also doesn't help this situation.

I am wondering if this might just be a limitation of the software or if I am missing something...

Thank you to anyone able to take the time and reply and try to help!

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty certain I've seen a force widescreen or similar option in both geexbox and mplayer. I can't say for certain any more than that though. I know its possible as I've watched in widescreen before...

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In preferences (or something, I'm Dutch) there is a thing aspect (or aspect ratio) there you can fix it.
But in Geexbox it looks shit (in my case) so then you should use MPlayer CE.

Midnightzak

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kwartel said:
In preferences (or something, I'm Dutch) there is a thing aspect (or aspect ratio) there you can fix it.
But in Geexbox it looks shit (in my case) so then you should use MPlayer CE.

OK, but as I said in the OP I have tried GeexBox's aspect ratios and it doesn't help. It's more like the program doesn't recognize that the screen actually goes as wide as it does. MPlayer CE does the same thing, and the quality is the same on both as well.

sonicwii24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 46" sony bravia, I use both geexbox and mplayer CE in my wii using the component cables and I must say that the video quality is perfect especially on mplayer. If the video doesn't fill the whole screen go to options (mplayer CE)-> Aspect-> and select 16:9.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel the need to chime in here as well.

I have a 52" Sharp Aquos, connected to the Wii via Component cables. Obviously the Wii is displaying in widescreen, and all of my games are in widescreen. However MPlayer_CE is not. I've tried changing the settings in the options, all of which change the aspect ratio to some degree, however I'm still getting black bars to either side, top and bottom as well. Its slightly frustrating, but I can live with it. I understand there is a .cfg somewhere that we can edit to have it display, however I'm unsure of what to change it to.

You're not the only one.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have indeed. The nunchuck just seems to adjust the offset, so that I can center the 'window' or move it up into a corner.. It doesn't actually expand the window to allow it to play in full-widescreen.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just have...

As it turns out, I stand corrected. In Mplayer_CE if you plug in a Nunchuck, moving the D-pad around will indeed move the window. I just discovered that if you hold Z while moving the D-Pad, it resizes the window... The combination of resizing and moving should yield you a full screen video. I just watched a movie and was happy to discover this.

Thanks to Madtamski for giving me the idea. Enjoy.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
lol, i could swear it says's that somewhere in a changelog
biggrin.gif

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
This is also a problem with Geexbox as well (haven't seen any settings of how to fix it).

Obviously 16:9 will still have black borders top and bottom on a widescreen TV but there is a clear black border down the right hand side as well (though strangely not on the left as well)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah been there had that no fun +1