granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mdk2.png

Here's a pleasant surprise for fans of the old PC game MDK2- the game is now coming to WiiWare. In addition to that, the game will also be getting some sort of remake entitled "MDK2 HD" for PC's. Here's the official PR-

(June 24th, 2010) — Interplay Entertainment Corp. and Beamdog partner to bring MDK2 to the Nintendo Wii™ and MDK2 HD to the PC.

“It is a great pleasure to announce that we are returning to the adventures of Kurt Hectic, Dr. Hawkins and the 6-legged gun-toting robotic dog Max,” said Hervé Caen, CEO of Interplay. “MDK2 was a great title to work on and we're happy to have some of the original team working on these new versions,” seconded Trent Oster, co-Founder of Beamdog.

MDK2 for Wii™ is expected to be released during coming Winter and is planned for electronic distribution through Nintendo's WiiWare™ service. MDK2 HD will follow on the PC through the Beamdog digital distribution platform. [/p]
Very excited, and i'm glad this old classic is getting new life! I personally spent a huge amount of my childhood playing this gem on PC. It's a fantastic third person shooter originally developed by Bioware and published by Interplay. You may even recall the first MDK back in the mid-90's which was developed by Shiny Entertainment (Earthworm Jim). MDK2 was a shining example of how to make an engaging third person shooter, and featured some diverse gameplay thanks to the three different characters you could play as. I'd probably categorize it as a run and gun third person alien shooter, but it has some platforming and puzzle elements too. You play as three heroes who are trying to thwart an alien attack on earth. It is a direct continuation of the first game. Kurt Hectic is the Doc's janitor, a reluctant hero who is forced to battle alien hostiles on earth. When fitted with the jumpsuit the Doc invented, he has a machine gun, as well as a sniper rifle to pick enemies apart from afar. He can also glide thanks to his retractable parachute in his jumpsuit suit. Max is a badass cigar smoking robotic dog made by Doc Hawkings with 4 arms which he uses to hold 4 guns at once. He can equip a weapon in each individual hand (you can customize the weapon for each hand) and he has a huge arsenal including magnums, shotguns, uzis, gatling guns, etc. He can also use a jetpack in some levels for some cool platforming. Doctor Hawking has the most unique gameplay though. He's a rather silly old mad scientist whose primary form of weaponry is being creative with random everyday household items to create weapons and tools. His levels are more adventure-oriented and sometimes require you to solve unique puzzles, while making creative items from household items or even food. He's quite weak though (being so old I guess), he can't jump nearly as high and his health is much lower than the other two characters.

The game is also hilarious and features some really funny voice acting and cutscenes. It has a really cool comic book style for some of the intro cutscenes. I'm not sure what they plan for the HD PC version (the game could already run at HD resolutions even on weaker PC's), but the WiiWare version is likely to be identical to the original or perhaps the PS2 version (which was subtitled Armageddon). The game worked best with a mouse and keyboard combination, so the motion controls could really make this a fun experience. MDK2 was originally released on Dreamcast, PC, and PS2. It is a classic i can recommend to almost anyone. I'm not even a huge shooter fan, but it has a wide array of gameplay styles. Even people not into action shooters can probably find something they like here!
yaywii.gif

http://interplay.com/about/article.php?id=50

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I remember when MDK2 was first released I had a 233 mhz Pentium MMX with 2 mb S3 Virge so I couldn't play it. .. I think I actually like PC gaming more than consoles..

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My version of MDK2 came bundled with an old Dell PC i had-

Pentium III @450mhz
128MB RAM
32MB Geforce 2

Worked great too! I guess they wouldn't have bundled it with the pc i bought had it not been up to playing it! WiiWare should be able to handle that just fine, Wii is more powerful than that.
tongue.gif

I'm curious about the HD PC rerelease too. The game could be played at very high resolutions, but was rather low tech in terms of 3D models and animations.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I kid you not, I was thinking about this game while at work today, and how it's been so long since I last played it. Now, we get this announcement. It's like someone sent radio signals straight to the nostalgia center of my brain.

I'm sure the HD version will play just like the original, except that everything will have that next-gen look to it, just like how Valve had a High Definition package for the original Half Life games, which had upgraded models and textures.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interplay are already bringing Descent, Clayfighter, Stonekeep and now this which was pretty much expected a while back. I can already play these games (though Clayfighter I'd rather not play at all) but its nice to have them on the service, I just hope they're good versions.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hopefully we will get a Wii port of the PC game ( with Remote + Nunchuck controls ) rather then an awful PS2 port that requires a Classic controller.
The game definitely screams for mouse-like controls, rather then analog.
I played and finished it on the Dreamcast some years ago, it got kind of frustratingly difficult at the end, but then again it might be an entirely different story with better controls....

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I remember playing this, loved the birdlike character, really amusing game and the combination you could make with the toaster and all was really fun.
Glad to see it coming to the Wii!

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
Interesting..... i do like the sound of that, i wish they would do the same for shadowman now that was a good / weird game for its time, never played the second one though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock