Status
Not open for further replies.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are there still people calling bullshit when there is actual legitimate proof IOSU exists now? I get people are wary after Christmas last year but like seriously wtf is wrong with people? There is this little thing called cautiously optimistic where you wait for something you want but in the end don't really care whether it actually happens or not. There is no need under any circumstance to bitch and call devs liars and full of shit. God, I hate this instant gratification culture I live in. Please, if you're my age or younger, get a grip. The world does not revolve around you getting what you want or your precious IOSU. It will continue on, and some of you will just cry over spilled milk. Update if you want to update, don't if you don't. There is legitimately no real reason to not update. But if you don't want to, that's fine, your prerogative. But don't actively bitch at developers when they are legitimately just giving some throwaway advice. Take it or leave it, don't get salty for actually NO fucking reason.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm warning you, that is a bad idea. There's a reason Cyan locked the "special" WUPInstaller release thread and wrote a warning in the OP.
I still think it's good news for people who might miss this opportunity to update. Remember, even using the official system updater carries an inherent risk: if your power goes out while updating, you can brick your system.

The best option right now seems to be to update and not rely on a disc update coming out or WUPinstaller working

Phil5004

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Possible Timeline Prediction:

1- IOSU exploit gets released.
2- Loadiine adds online play. (Probably the whole mechanism of Loadiine loading the game will differ, it might change from injecting into Mii Maker/SBB to genuinely loading the ROM into RAM)
3- People enjoy Loadiine's online play (Maybe forever or maybe for some time (See number 4).)
4- Nintendo adds piracy detection to check whether the player has actually bought the game or not (Through his Nintendo ID or system MAC Address/HW ID.)
5- To solve this, hackers might have 2 choices:
a)Spoof Nintendo ID to another ID with the game purchased.
b)Hackers would build their own dedicated server for the game by sniffing TCP/UDP packets and pirates would play on non-official servers (Requires too much time and patience, especially that the Wii U's days are numbered.)
6- Nintendo NX gets released and Nintendo Wii U dies with its scene :nayps3:.
What about people who uses or borrow a Disc?

Reactions: Deleted User

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country
Why are there still people calling bullshit when there is actual legitimate proof IOSU exists now? I get people are wary after Christmas last year but like seriously wtf is wrong with people? There is this little thing called cautiously optimistic where you wait for something you want but in the end don't really care whether it actually happens or not. There is no need under any circumstance to bitch and call devs liars and full of shit. God, I hate this instant gratification culture I live in. Please, if you're my age or younger, get a grip. The world does not revolve around you getting what you want or your precious IOSU. It will continue on, and some of you will just cry over spilled milk. Update if you want to update, don't if you don't. There is legitimately no real reason to not update. But if you don't want to, that's fine, your prerogative. But don't actively bitch at developers when they are legitimately just giving some throwaway advice. Take it or leave it, don't get salty for actually NO fucking reason.

Well the wait hasn't killed me (Guessing this is proof I'm alive) and I'm sure waiting longer won't either but I would rather have the iosu exploit later rather then sooner as I can't afford a brick. Better to be safe then sorry and all that

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think it's good news for people who might miss this opportunity to update. Remember, even using the official system updater carries an inherent risk: if your power goes out while updating, you can brick your system.

The best option right now seems to be to update and not rely on a disc update coming out or WUPinstaller working
I advise against it, but if you're willing to take the chance, then go ahead.

Reactions: CJB100

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the wait hasn't killed me (Guessing this is proof I'm alive) and I'm sure waiting longer won't either but I would rather have the iosu exploit later rather then sooner as I can't afford a brick. Better to be safe then sorry and all that

^^^^^^^ This right here is the best attitude to have in regards to IOSU release. :yay:

I advise against it, but if you're willing to take the chance, then go ahead.

Yes, ultimately it's your decision, but Pockrus is correct. Using that tool is legitimately a horrible decision. As he said there is a reason Cyan locked it and a reason we had tons of threads for at least a week afterwards where people had issues with it. Thankfully there were no bricks afaik, but if you use it, you're not gonna have a good time.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Hmm, considering updating to 5.5.1 based on this thread now as I've been sitting on 5.3.2 for a while now (even though I buy retail games) as I'm in for that sweet sweet (potential) emulator goodness.

But what if this is all a jape by the folks involved and the exploit actually works for lower firmwares and like a cross between Nelson from the Simpsons and Inception they sit there going Ha Ha as a way to get back at the petulant children this scene appears to be overran by?

Reactions: peteruk and CJB100

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
So I've been on 5.5.1, no big deal, sticking there. But I'm curious what will this IOSU exploit be able to do that we can't already do. Will we be able to install actual channels like a homebrew channel, emulators, etc. without having to run an exploit online every time?
This is a bit of a fallacy, I mean sure you have to run your browser everytime but even with IOSU you still have to run something everytime too.

alucard_xs

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really do not think upgrading in 5.5.1 from a 5.3.2 console is a good think ... the 5.3.2 firmware is the golden firmware.
Wait for the IOSU release, if it still exists then upgrade, Big N will probably release a new firmware within 24h so you will have time to upgrade by yourself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Last edited by alucard_xs,

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Sumimasen:

WiiU_5_5_1_kernel_keys_hykem.jpg

Quote:

"Obviously, the Wii U is why I’m writing all this.
Many people are still angry, frustrated or disappointed at me for events I cannot take back and for that I apologize.
I apologize to everyone who stood by my side waiting for my work.

I was really excited that after 2 years of working alongside so many talented developers trying to crack down the Wii U’s security model we were finally looking at its “guts”.
It was a roller coaster of emotions as we kept breaking the several layers of this system and began learning a lot about it.
Our intentions were, from the get go, to open the console to everyone and watch a new homebrew scene flourish as many did before with consoles like the Wii or the 3DS.
While we achieved some success, the last layer of security was still in the way to provide a powerful platform for homebrew.
While I was working on breaking this, another group completely smashed the console’s security, which made me jump the gun and tell everyone about my plans. Big mistake.

What followed that was a big, big mess…"

More here: http://wololo.net/2016/08/18/farewell-note-hykem/

So hykem is off the scene, "confirms" there is a 5.5.1 exploit, drops the mic and exits stage left. Now think about what I said in the previous post about the update potentially being a piss take, consider the brouhaha that went on with this chap and then put the digits together and see what you think.

Admittedly the dudes in the OP seem to be legit with their developments, whether they release is another thing but the issue that 5.5.1 isn't on any discs that we know of and may not be just like the magical 3DS firmware that all wanted after the fact.

Decisions decisions...

How many of y'all have updated and do you think this is the real thing (this time)? It just seems a bit weird that after all of the holes and weaknesses being in olden, golden firmwares that were swiftly patched the holy grail would materialize on the latest and greatest version replete with all the fixes.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: