Masayuki Uemura, the engineer behind the NES and SNES, has passed away at age 78

asdasdasdas.png

Former Nintendo lead architect Masayuki Uemura has passed away at the age of 78. He was responsible for much of the engineering work behind both the Famicom and Super Famicom, and even produced a handful of games for the original Nintendo home console, such as Clu Clu Land, Ice Climber, Soccer, Golf, and Baseball. Uemura also worked on the Satellaview, Famicom Disk System, and NES Zapper, and would go on to assist development on the ill-fated partnership console that never came to be, between PlayStation and Nintendo in the 1990s. He began work at Nintendo in 1971, and stayed with the company until his retirement in 2004.

:arrow: Source

DannX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I'd never heard of him before, which is really sad because I spent countless hours playing Ice Climbers and the Baseball game when I was a kid.

May he rest in peace.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for designing the most beautiful consoles of my childhood. Join Hiroshi Yamauchi in the afterworld.
Don’t forget the father of the Gameboy Gunpei Yokoi
Thank you for designing the most beautiful consoles of my childhood. Join Hiroshi Yamauchi in the afterworld.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's cool. Genesis is not bad but overrated and not popular, thought.
Genesis was very, very popular mainly in Western countries of the PAL region and there, fhey called it by its original name (MD / Mega Drive).

I just meant that 16bit games have far more "meat" in its bones than an 8bit game which can be fairly simple due to the technology. It's fun, but limited.

The 16bit era was truly one of the best thanks to SNES and Genesis, plus games looked like a work of art.

rjCaXcm.jpg

I love The Simpsons Arcade too, shame it never a physical 16bit release.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Genesis was very, very popular mainly in Western countries of the PAL region and there, fhey called it by its original name (MD / Mega Drive).

I just meant that 16bit games have far more "meat" in its bones than an 8bit game which can be fairly simple due to the technology. It's fun, but limited.

The 16bit era was truly one of the best thanks to SNES and Genesis, plus games looked like a work of art.

rjCaXcm.jpg

I love The Simpsons Arcade too, shame it never a physical 16bit release.

Yeah, I know. I am Portuguese from Portugal lived in America. And I grew up with NES, SNES< and Sega Genesis (Mega Drive). I am referring to America culture. SNES was more popular. :)

Yeah, the Simpson Arcade looks cool but I know how you feel about its never released a physical 16bit game at all. We surely had a good memories, thought. :)

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Cool dude this guy was. I hope Nintendo does a memory dedication in some way
I hope so but I doubt it because Nintendo lost totally track with reality and being decent human beings. However, the fan here in Japan submerged the family with 香典 (a gesture of gratitude for all the lost person did, traditionally flower and incense now just presents or money).

Reactions: TheZander

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I know. I am Portuguese from Portugal lived in America. And I grew up with NES, SNES< and Sega Genesis (Mega Drive). I am referring to America culture. SNES was more popular. :)

Yeah, the Simpson Arcade looks cool but I know how you feel about its never released a physical 16bit game at all. We surely had a good memories, thought. :)
Oh, I'm well aware of SEGA's history and their downfall began with the SEGA CD despite being such a fantastic gaming company.

My favorite SEGA console was the Dreamcast, but sadly SEGA themselves killed it due to their own incompetence. Heck, I loved the Saturn too though it had the same problems too.

The only time SEGA didn't fuck up was with the Genesis (all the rest was kinda meh, even SMS).

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow one more legend join's the game boy maker in the after life. still i never knew this about this guy. you legacy will carry on in our hearts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning