Gaming Mario 64 successor may be next Wii U Mario

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Of the many adjectives I could use to describe Mario 64 I do not think polished would be one of them. I am never quite sure what people disliked about Sunshine either (other than FLUDD being up there with Navi and Clippy in the support characters I would be inclined to headbutt).

I am drawn to wonder what continuity there might be between the DS version of 64 and the original.

The game wasn't finished. The camera was terrible. Some of the missions for the sprites were just bad. The controls were mediocre at best. Some of the gameplay decisions were iffy, the voice acting, the level design... it was a pretty bad game. Definitely not up to Mario standards.

Exacat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mario Galaxy was linear, but I felt it very open, unlike Super Mario 64, which was like being in a literal sandbox.
I can't say about Mario Sunshine, since I didn't play it.
Super Mario 3D World/Land are very linear, but when I play them, I don't feel that limited feeling I have in SM64.

Reactions: Hielkenator

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
God, Sunshine and Galaxy were so much better.
If you really want a a game like sm64 BUT far better,play the banjo kazooie games.
Besides sm64 is a very short game.

Anyway I personallly am SO GODDAMN TIRED of collecting stars. shinesprites etc.
Looking forward to supermario 3d world.

WHAT!? Super Mario 3D World is soooo damn short. Even shorter than Super Mario 3D Land and yes I played both. Super Mario 64 is A LOT better than 3D World and by A LOT. I can even say that Super Mario Sunshine is even better than 3D World.

Mario games has became a joke. I'm sick of Linear Mario games or 2.5D Mario games. Super Mario 3D World is not what I expected.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So just got it....
New fresh concept....sorta.

All in al probably the best game on Wiiu ATM.
No it's not a sandbox/ collecting stars game.
But it's not intended to be one either.

PURE PLATFORM HAPPINESS.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

I don't think you guys understand what Mario originally was, a side-scroller. I like the 2/2.5D Mario games better.

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Originally Mario was an button rush arcade on "Game & Watch" but time flows & there is progress in the game industry, 2D, 3D… Mario Galaxy is a real gem, as well as almost all previous main titles. I hope that Nintendo's magicians wouldn't stuck on the previous concepts & will create something great & brand new (in terms of Mario universe).

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pretty much, what I got from that is "Super mario 64 is too hard because players have to move in multiple directions, if 1 BILLION players say they want a super mario 64 type game, they will make it.

Anyway I also love the game very much, and I really enjoyed this mod:

https://sites.google.com/site/messiaen64/themissingstars

try it.

Try Super Mario Star Road by Skelux. It's practically Nintendo quality.

I don't think you guys understand what Mario originally was, a side-scroller. I like the 2/2.5D Mario games better.
We understand completely. But that can only really apply for the 2D games. For 3D Mario games this is a completely different story.

3D Mario was built on the foundation of exploring a large world and collecting, and such was the norm from 64, Sunshine and Galaxy, and this style of gameplay has created fans of its own. The Mario fanbase is fractured between 2D players, 3D players, and 2D/3D players.

But 3D World and 3D Land were made as a bridge between 3D and 2D for those players, says Miyamoto. But the gameplay that 3D fans have enjoyed in the past has been neglected for several instalments now, while the 2D style has had more action than a prostitute. They've all been dressed up to cater to the 2D Mario players. I ask of you, what about 3D Mario's roots?

I get it, you're into 2D Mario more than 3D Mario, but that doesn't meant that 3D Mario fans can't get what they want for once.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi and VMM

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What something was /= What something is now

Besides, Mario's been utterly trounced in the 2D space by Rayman as of late; Origins just propped Mario up on its knee and spanked him silly.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mario 64 was a terrible 3d mario game due to weird physics
if the new 2.5d marios just allowed you to run a wee bit faster, they would be ideal to me

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Super Mario Sunshine was the spiritual successor of Mario 64.

Mario Galaxy was a masterpiece yeah but it was less than a sandbox than Mario64 & Sunshine. And Galaxy 2 doesn't even have a Hub World...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except Sunshine was still shit.

I actually liked Sunshine.

Back to the subject though, if Nintendo failed to release a single open world 3D Mario game for the last 11 years, chances are that they either don't want to make one, they don't sell or they can't make one in an HD environment. They already stated it pretty clearly that the challenge of HD is a steep hill for them. Maybe Mario's just gotten stale over time? ;)

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I actually liked Sunshine.

Back to the subject though, if Nintendo failed to release a single open world 3D Mario game for the last 11 years, chances are that they either don't want to make one, they don't sell or they can't make one in an HD environment. They already stated it pretty clearly that the challenge of HD is a steep hill for them. Maybe Mario's just gotten stale over time? ;)

If the series has gotten stale, it's only because Nintendo let it.
The integrity of the Mario series was overwhelmed by the financial success of NSMB. Yes, no Mario game is at all a bad game, but no Mario game since Galaxy 2 has evoked the same feeling of grandeur, at least with me. But it's because Nintendo's not trying to do that, they just keep trying to squeeze out another cash cow.

With 4 games in the "New" series and barely anything different among them besides new levels and power-ups, it's honestly hard for me to believe that the 3D Mario series is headed in the same direction. 3D Land felt really cheaply made with repetitive level design and questionable technical effort, but I suppose Nintendo were in a crisis to make a Mario to boost sales for the 3DS. 3D World, on the other hand, was a vast improvement, and was the first time I saw hope for Mario's future.

I love 3D World, I'd put it at #4 favourite game, 3rd being Galaxy, 2nd being Galaxy 2, and 1st being 64 (Yes, my top 4 favourite games are 3D Mario's). It's a good start to put Mario back on the high-quality track it deserves but it's already taken a hit, being the lowest selling 3D Mario for its first week, and if the initial reaction of the game's reveal during E3 showed Nintendo anything, it's that this wasn't what many people wanted out of a 3D Mario.

But this can be an opportunity for Nintendo. If you want to win, you have to lose first. Maybe Koizumi's statement about making an open-world Mario should be applied less literally. Maybe Nintendo is hoping to stop playing it so safe with Mario again. 64, Sunshine and Galaxy were pioneers of 3D platforming, despite whether it really worked or not they are the games that will stand out, but 3D Land and 3D World won't because they're just imitators.

Though I still hope that Mario will eventually get the 'open-world platformer' treatment, as long as Nintendo keeps the franchise on the right path I'll be happy.
Just no more "New" games or "3D <blank>" games, mkay Nintendo?

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...