Man arrested in Japan for selling hacked Shiny Pokemon

21BnyK6.png

While it's common to hear about the police or Nintendo itself going after hackers selling modified consoles, it's a bit more out of the ordinary for them to target someone hacking game files. In Japan, and as of a fairly recent law passing in 2019, editing video game save files is an illegal act, which is why a 23-year-old was arrested for doing so. The man had been "illegally" modifying his save data in order to obtain rare Shiny Pokemon, and then selling them. He managed to make over 1.15 million yen, or around $10,000 dollars by selling shinies to customers, being finally caught after he sold a Shiny Sobble to someone for $41 dollars. Arrested in Nagoya City, Japan, the suspect admitted his guilt, claiming he had been editing save files and profiting from it since November 2020.

:arrow: Source: Asahi News - Translation Courtesy of Serebii

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow. I never thought I would see the day when someone got arrested for selling hacked Pokemon on the black market.
Although this law is completely ridiculous, it serves him right, since he was profiting from it, taking advantage of people gullible and desperate enough to pay for something like that.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, being arrested for selling numbers that were obtained by typing them instead of them being randomly generated. Good law, thanks Japan.

God Japan's obsession with RNG/Gacha bullshit is really starting to get to me. Arrested for "unfair competition" against a fucking RNG. Let the man sell his numbers if he damn well wants. If people want to buy them, let them.

Last edited by bobmcjr,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The man had been "illegally" modifying his save data in order to obtain rare Shiny Pokemon, and then selling them. He managed to make over 1.15 million yen, or around $10,000 dollars by selling shinies to customers

This has got to be the most: "WHAT?! WTF?" thing I've ever read.

CrimsonMaple

Developer • She/Her
Trophies
Website
crimson.ninja
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit extreme. It's nowhere near as impactful on people's experiences, it's just an aesthetic thing...
It's not like Korea where competitive games are seen as a legitimate career path and so things like boosting are heavily frowned upon...
Idk... This is just wildin'.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psi was a bad bad man at one point lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a GTA based on your life, or at least put you in 6 as a character.
    I don't think people would believe 10% of the things I have done lol thank god...
    I have a giant check list of impossible things, and I haven't done them all yet lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Was the pot farmer in San andreas
    I tell people I wrestled a 5 foot alligator and they get this smile like this guy is full of shit lol the reality is I am sad it got away.... I wanted a pet alligator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You live in Florida, so I believe it, you guys are crazy.
    At the time I would have probably fed it people lol
    Seriously cocaine not even once lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol +1